Please Assist With Alaska Cruise

MtnSeaGirl

Posted (edited)

@MtnSeaGirl et al.

Thanks to some good information here and from our AAA travel agent, we Florida folk finally booked our first Alaskan cruise for next May 2025 from Holland America. 

We haven't worked out all the travel logistics yet, but we're doing the 10-Day Signature Denali D0L on the Nieuw Amsterdam with the 7-Day Glacier Discovery Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver. We'll be flying into Fairbanks with a land tour and two nights pre-cruise at the McKinley Chalet Resort - Denali Park Hotel.  We would have loved to do more, but my hubby still works, so we're trying to squeeze in what we can, and still maybe get over to Seattle too.

The harder part is going to be determining the best excursions for us, so we'll still be researching more for sure.  Thank you all for the input.  Thank you MtnSeaGirl for starting the thread. 👍

Edited by afn10305
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, afn10305 said:

@MtnSeaGirl et al.

Thanks to some good information here and from our AAA travel agent, we Florida folk finally booked our first Alaskan cruise for next May 2025 from Holland America. 

We haven't worked out all the travel logistics yet, but we're doing the 10-Day Signature Denali D0L on the Nieuw Amsterdam with the 7-Day Glacier Discovery Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver. We'll be flying into Fairbanks with a land tour and two nights pre-cruise at the McKinley Chalet Resort - Denali Park Hotel.  We would have loved to do more, but my hubby still works, so we're trying to squeeze in what we can, and still maybe get over to Seattle too.

The harder part is going to be determining the best excursions for us, so we'll still be researching more for sure.  Thank you all for the input.  Thank you MtnSeaGirl for starting the thread. 👍

Enjoy your trip!  I'm glad your AAA was able to help you.  Ours up here is not up to speed on Alaska for some reason.  They specialize in Europe and Disney.  

• Like 1

Warning: long possible TMI post! I too am a Caribbean cruiser. I live 20 minutes from port of Manhattan and so plan all my cruises from there now. I am a mostly CCL cruiser. At this point I don’t much care for where we cruise to I like the actual cruising! My husband passed and I’m now cruising solo. All of a sudden I really want to do Alaska! I am deaf from meningitis but have a cochlear implant. I can hear noises/sounds but still have to rely on lip reading combo. I’m explaining that because it’s main reason I don’t fly anywhere to cruise now. Too nervous. A friend is a TA and might be able to put cruise package-hotel transfers to ship etc together for me. Now for the reason I’m posting (finally lol) I have little interest in excursions beyond the Yukon train I’ve read about. Don’t really care about wildlife tho I’d love to see whales/sea lions/dolphins. I really want to just stay on the ship and sail amongst the mountains! I realize that’s crazy but I’m really just interested in the scenery. I’m leaning towards Princess for September 2025. Any advice?? TIA 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

Enjoy your trip!  I'm glad your AAA was able to help you.  Ours up here is not up to speed on Alaska for some reason.  They specialize in Europe and Disney.  

@MtnSeaGirl

Well I have to be honest.  This is the very first time I gave up control to someone else. I am so used to doing my own bookings, but like you, I didn't even know where to start. Also, the HA website is not the easiest to navigate.

It was SO much easier when the AAA agent pulled out his paper catalog of Alaska sailings on both Holland America and Princess. Once we figured out that we wanted to include a land tour and at the beginning, it was simpler to narrow down the itineraries.  The next step was picking the dates and ship.  There were some very small issues along the way, mostly on the Holland America side, but I am happy that our agent was able to get it done. We also had a Mariner # from 20 years ago, so while it didn't initially show up on my login, it is there now! 👍

I should say we will be booking our own flights and hotels, and we still haven't yet decided if we'll fly into Seattle first or Fairbanks.  There's already a roll call for our cruise, so hopefully we'll be able to collab with others there. 🤞

controlling-type-a.gif

• Like 1

MtnSeaGirl I’m the same way with

my bookings. Can’t remember the last time I had a TA do mine. I go on CCL website and pick everything-even my cabin, but it’s easy for me since I don’t need transportation or hotels. . I’m going to ask my friend the TA (she works at AAA) if she’ll help with this if I decide to book just so she can organize everything for me but you can be sure I’ll be giving her LOTS of “suggestions!” 😈 Enjoy your planning and research! 

• Like 2

afn10305, I am also normally a type A gal.  I like control.  I feel out of control with Alaska though. I hope you have a splendid trip and will come back and post your trip.  I love reading reviews for tips and ideas for " the next time".  We are looking at a HA and a Princess for our 2026 trip.  Yes, 2026.....Ms Control over here enjoys the planning and flushing it all out.  That is part of the joy.  

Cruisin Karen, We have never used a TA for a cruise before. The land part is tripping me up badly. I'm glad you enjoy CCL.  We enjoy them as well.  We sailed Royal last time due to ports and price. There are things about Royal we like better ( Windjammer, the ice skating show ) and there are things we like better about Carnival ( Blue Iguana, Guys, MDR, more things to do on the ship, and the memories we have with the kiddos who are now grown ).  In all fairness, we have not sailed on the larger ships with either line. I'm a small town girl.  When we talked with the Next Cruise Desk Lady on Royal last month, she flat out said that whoever you sail with, sail on a smaller ship. Smaller ships can get closer and into some places the larger ships cannot get into. I have no experience on Princess, but it has been suggested to me several times. Pull the trigger after you decide and don't look back. No second guessing.  PS  I am sorry about your hubby. That is hard.  One of my close friend's hubby passed 2 years ago. She and another friend are going with us on the Nova Scotia cruise Sept 2025.  She has never cruised before.  

• Like 1

^^^thank you! Yea my first cruise after he passed his sister was going with me. Day before cruise she got the flu BAD. so I went alone. It was kind of a blessing in disguise because I never would have booked a cruise alone! That week I realized I COULD DO IT and if I want to cruise I’ll have to! No one else is interested or able. So thinking about Alaska is WAY out of my comfort zone. Good luck to you. I’m sure your trip is going to be amazing! 

• Like 2

I am well traveled. I still use a TA. She is a real TA, not an order taker.

When I contact her - I know what I am booking. I use her several reasons - she gives me a better price than what booking direct provides. Secondly - one really doesn't need a TA when things go well but when things go bad, it is great to have them in my corner! A travel agent is worth their weight in gold!

It has also been great that when cruise call centers were taking hours for people to get an answer, I had a TA who I could contact and they dealt with it (though some of it they could do on their computer). I wasn't the one waiting on hold with the cruise line, they were if they had to call. Also - my agent does millions with several cruise lines. They have no problems telling a customer who spends thousands a year with them no but they really don't want to tell an agent who brings millions to them a year no. My agent has far more pull with the cruise lines than I do. She also has contacts to get things done that I don't.

Thus, I still use an agent. I have probably been on 50+ cruises plus land trips. My friends who are very well traveled also use a travel agent. It doesn't cost them more - why not have an expert on your side if something goes wrong. Same reason why I use a tax consultant and attorney when necessary.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

Coral, you gave very thought provoking information.  I appreciate your words.  

@Coral

Coral, I also appreciate your perspective, but having never gotten TA help before it's just a new experience.

Also, I would like to confirm what you mean by "I still use a TA. She is a real TA, not an order taker."  It's difficult to tell which one of us you were replying to, me (afn10305), the OP (MtnSeaGirl), or Cruisin Karen?  Are you implying that AAA agents are not "real" travel agents and just order takers, or something else?

I just want your honest opinion besides what you have already stated, because we are also well-traveled cruisers, and have luckily never had issues booking on our own even cruising around Europe, the Mediterranean, and the east coast of Canada.  HOWEVER, Alaska just had us mind-boggled, and what the AAA agent did for me was get me to focus on what would fit our needs and wants. I can see using a TA for more in-depth planning and travel to places when not cruising, but I'm also aware that TAs get "commissions" from recommending preferred service partners, and even some do charge small fees.

Again, I just would like to have you confirm the meaning behind your statement.  I have no skin in the game, either way.  👍

• Like 1

^^^interested in this also. My “TA” works for AAA she’s a personal friend. She’s been on ONE cruise. I remember once I said well I can carry on a bottle of wine (on CCL) she said oh really? Hmmmm….with this AK cruise I’m researching she said just set your mind to it and do it. Let me know what you want me to book. I really wanted her to take the reins and help especially with pre/post cruise and traveling. I’m on east coast and a solo cruiser. Almost makes me think I should just book on my own (???) 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 12:05 AM, royal3 said:

Been on Alaska cruises several times. Our favorite port is Skagway and we love Hubbard Glacier. 

What did you love most about Skagway?

38 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

^^^interested in this also. My “TA” works for AAA she’s a personal friend. She’s been on ONE cruise. I remember once I said well I can carry on a bottle of wine (on CCL) she said oh really? Hmmmm….with this AK cruise I’m researching she said just set your mind to it and do it. Let me know what you want me to book. I really wanted her to take the reins and help especially with pre/post cruise and traveling. I’m on east coast and a solo cruiser. Almost makes me think I should just book on my own (???) 🤷‍♀️

Holland America and Princess have good cruise tour packages.   Look at the packages they offer.  They have flight options, pre and post cruise packages with hotels.  We have taken some wonderful Road Scholar trips in British Columbia.  RS (Elderhostel) used to book HAL for their Alaska cruises. They may have some smaller ship adventures.  There are a lot of interesting travelers on those trips.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, afn10305 said:

@Coral

Coral, I also appreciate your perspective, but having never gotten TA help before it's just a new experience.

Also, I would like to confirm what you mean by "I still use a TA. She is a real TA, not an order taker."  It's difficult to tell which one of us you were replying to, me (afn10305), the OP (MtnSeaGirl), or Cruisin Karen?  Are you implying that AAA agents are not "real" travel agents and just order takers, or something else?

I just want your honest opinion besides what you have already stated, because we are also well-traveled cruisers, and have luckily never had issues booking on our own even cruising around Europe, the Mediterranean, and the east coast of Canada.  HOWEVER, Alaska just had us mind-boggled, and what the AAA agent did for me was get me to focus on what would fit our needs and wants. I can see using a TA for more in-depth planning and travel to places when not cruising, but I'm also aware that TAs get "commissions" from recommending preferred service partners, and even some do charge small fees.

Again, I just would like to have you confirm the meaning behind your statement.  I have no skin in the game, either way.  👍

I was probably referring to whoever said "they go online to the cruise line's website and book".

Some people use Big Box Stores (think buying in large quantity) as their TA. I consider these agents as order takers. Order takers work for agencies that when you call - you tell them what you want and they book it but do very little else. If you need help, they are not really there.

Others book on their own. Again, this works well when everything goes well. When things don't go well - it helps to have someone on. your side.

If you are using a AAA agent and they seem to care about your interests - I would consider them an agent. I doubt they discount but that may not be important to some, especially on trips that have you boggled. I would make sure whoever you are working with has been to Alaska.

I have to admit - my first time in Alaska in 2002 - I was also confused. I had done Europe land and many Caribbean cruises at that point but never Alaska. For some reason - Alaska does seem to baffle many of us on our first cruise. After you have been there you will appreciate Alaska and find it easy to navigate.

I would recommend Alaska by Cruise Ship - by Anne Vipond. If you can find Rachel Cartwright's book Alaska Cruise Companion, that is a good one also.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, afn10305 said:

If the TA was able to have you focus on your needs and wants - they obviously had their best interest in mind.

Cruise lines are always changing their rules. It is difficult to keep up. If someone sails one specific line, they probably know those rules better (as far as how much wine one can bring, etc...). The line I have sailed the most - I honestly can't tell you how much wine I can bring onboard as I don't drink and it has never been a concern of mine.

I would focus on what you want to see and also try to find out if it is possible to see it during the time you are going. For example Tracy Arm is often difficult to get to in May. Dog sledding on a glacier is often not possible in late August and September as the snow has melted so while you may be able to book this, it probably will be cancelled. I always seem to see bears in May and June but most bear excursions are often mid-July and on when the salmon are running. I like May when the snow is on the mountains and it is usually dry (this year sounds more rainy) but people that book in September and October don't realize that has the potential for more rain. So try to focus your interests when you are trying to go. Also look at port times. For example - I don't like Juneau port times of 2-10. Many people see that they are going to Juneau but do not realize the times are bad and what they want to do is not possible....

Sorry just rambling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

I was probably referring to whoever said "they go online to the cruise line's website and book".

Some people use Big Box Stores (think buying in large quantity) as their TA. I consider these agents as order takers. Order takers work for agencies that when you call - you tell them what you want and they book it but do very little else. If you need help, they are not really there.

Others book on their own. Again, this works well when everything goes well. When things don't go well - it helps to have someone on. your side.

If you are using a AAA agent and they seem to care about your interests - I would consider them an agent. I doubt they discount but that may not be important to some, especially on trips that have you boggled. I would make sure whoever you are working with has been to Alaska.

I have to admit - my first time in Alaska in 2002 - I was also confused. I had done Europe land and many Caribbean cruises at that point but never Alaska. For some reason - Alaska does seem to baffle many of us on our first cruise. After you have been there you will appreciate Alaska and find it easy to navigate.

I would recommend Alaska by Cruise Ship - by Anne Vipond. If you can find Rachel Cartwright's book Alaska Cruise Companion, that is a good one also.

@Coral

Okay, thank you.  This deeper explanation makes more sense to me. 👍

We actually already booked an earlier cruise for next year for the eastern coast of South America (including the Falkland Islands and passing through the Antarctic) but had no issues deciding on our itinerary, with flights and lodging booked just on our own. 

We had been putting off Alaska for many reasons, but it was just time to to "get on board" since many friends and family members had gone and told us it was fabulous! Now that we have booked and have direction planned (with the help from our friendly AAA agent) we are not feeling so boggled.  We even got in on their recent Memorial Day travel event, so received some more OBC, and lots more goodies included. 😍

We'll still be perusing the Alaska boards to get more info, but it's nice to make this decision and move forward.  I also keep hearing people say "your first cruise to Alaska won't be your last one!" 😁

• Like 2

I’m still researching….remember im

an east coast Caribbean solo cruiser who cruises from my home port 20 minutes away so this is ALL mind boggling! 🙄😵‍💫 in order to narrow it down somewhat, which port is easiest to fly to-travel to cruise port from: SF, Seattle, Vancouver? (All RT) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

an east coast Caribbean solo cruiser who cruises from my home port 20 minutes away so this is ALL mind boggling! 🙄😵‍💫 in order to narrow it down somewhat, which port is easiest to fly to-travel to cruise port from: SF, Seattle, Vancouver? (All RT) 

Vancouver is a foreign port but so easy to stay at the Pan Pacific Hotel at the cruise port and watch your ship come in.  You can do a round trip from Vancouver.  Purchase the ship transfer and the cruise line will transfer you and your luggage to and from the port.  There is a taxi line outside the airport.  A port rep directed us to where we should go for a taxi.  Easy.

Seattle may have a direct flight from your home.  Again you can arrange with the cruiseline to transfer you to the ship.  The cruise lines also offer a hotel and transfer to the ship so you can come in the day before you cruise.  Seattle also has Port Valet which will transport your luggage directly from the ship to your airline and you pick up your luggage when you debark your flight home.

San Francisco may also have a direct flight from your home.  Again, the cruise line probably has a hotel and transfer package for arriving the day before you cruise.  There are also a lot of hotels in the cruise port area.  Not many ships cruise to Alaska out of San Francisco.

These transfer packages all are for your convenience and are not cheap.  One nice thing about the hotel and transfer package is that you will have an opportunity to travel with others who will be boarding the ship with you.

Best for RT itinerary would be Vancouver, then Seattle (shorter port times).

If you buy the transfer to the ship or hotel when you arrive at baggage claim in Vancouver or Seattle airport you will find a cruise line rep looking for you.  Holland America and Princess coordinate this service for both cruise lines.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, afn10305 said:

Okay, thank you.  This deeper explanation makes more sense to me. 👍

We actually already booked an earlier cruise for next year for the eastern coast of South America (including the Falkland Islands and passing through the Antarctic) but had no issues deciding on our itinerary, with flights and lodging booked just on our own. 
😁

Envious! I have not been there. I can handle the cruise pricing but the air from where I live is a nightmare. It is on my list!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

Vancouver cruises usually have more time in ports than Seattle cruises. Both are great cities.

As stated above - you can fly into Seattle and the cruise lines offer a bus ride to Vancouver airport. I love both cities quite a bit. I absolutely love British Columbia (Vancouver area). If you have time, I suggest flying in a few days before and see the area before your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the GREAT advice. I’m usually very frugal but being a recent widow and sailing solo,  having not flown to a cruise in probably 20 years, and I’m deaf. I have a cochlear implant but I still have to rely on lip reading. So I’m goung to spend some $ to make this as safe and stress free as possible. Vancouver inside passage RT is on Caribbean princess which we actually cruised years ago. I’d love to go on a newer ship but I’m pretty easy to please! I’d also like to do one way cruise but given my circumstances I think RT is better for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Envious! I have not been there. I can handle the cruise pricing but the air from where I live is a nightmare. It is on my list!

Yup, airfare is not cheap, but because of my husband's work we can only do BIG travel every other year (odd years). What we give up in even years, we make up for when we can. 👍 

Eventually when he retires, we'll be able to take advantage of better times and prices for travel. The SA itinerary just appealed to us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coral said:

We were in the Falklands in 2015 while on a B2B2B which included Antarctica.  If your reference to air fare is in reference to a trip the the Falklands (at least in 2015) the only flights to Port Stanley were a weekly flight to and from Heathrow and another weekly flight from Chile.  The air fare into Buenos Aires is generally reasonable (even in business class) so cruises out of BA are an option.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were in the Falklands in 2015 while on a B2B2B which included Antarctica.  If your reference to air fare is in reference to a trip the the Falklands (at least in 2015) the only flights to Port Stanley were a weekly flight to and from Heathrow and another weekly flight from Chile.  The air fare into Buenos Aires is generally reasonable (even in business class) so cruises out of BA are an option.

I was looking at a RT Buenos Aires trip this Christmas that included Antarctica (drive by). I can afford the cruise - it is the air and routing of air that is difficult for me. In the past I have looked at Buenos Aires and Santiago. I am pretty tall so want Economy Plus or Business. It is funny - I had no problems getting FF miles to Paris Business Class but I can't even touch them in South America. I live near a small airport which doesn't help. Though my guess is flights from Fairbanks can't be cheap either! I am flying from Lincoln to State College this summer for a conference and the air for regular economy is $1000. I am blown away from those who live on the East Coast and get amazing flight pricing and routing they get.

I hope in the future (when retired) I can do a B2B2B like you did in South America. That would be a trip of a lifetime.

Edited by Coral

9 hours ago, PSUJeepGirl said:

What did you love most about Skagway?

When your ship pulls into Skagway there is a rock hillside that has been painted by multiple visiting ship crews with their visit date, and logos. It is a neat history of the visits. We then walk around town for a while before heading on a self booked shore excursion (Shore Excursion Group -  Yukon Klondike Adventure by bus, Puppy Camp, and Lunch - $165 pp). As you take the bus ride to the Yukon, there is a very good chance you will see some bears. Have done this several times. 

cruise-ship-rock-mural.jpg

• Like 2