How much is Laundry

5 hours ago, mistertomatoe said:

How are getting it the next day? What's the timing and do you call for immediate pickup/return? Mine has always been two days.

We have used the laundry service at least two dozen times on NCL cruises.  Only once did it take more than a day.  That was post COVID, when the stateroom attendants were each assigned more cabins and only provide service once per day.  The instructions with the laundry ticket say (or at least they used to say) that if you turn in your laundry by 9:00 AM one day you will receive it back the next day before 5:00 PM.  It occasionally has arrived later in the evening than 5:00, but except for that one time it always was returned the following day.  The time it was late we had left the bag in our room before we went to breakfast, but our stateroom attendant didn't get around to cleaning our room until late that afternoon.  The bag just sat on the bed all day, hence the extra day to return it to us.  It's possible that other passengers have experienced similar delays post COVID.  The lesson we learned from this is that we now always forewarn our steward that we intend to leave a laundry bag for him the following day.  I think the heads-up has helped avoid further delays.

• 1 month later...

I have a question that's only a little off topic, but saves starting another thread.  It's been years since I sent out laundry on NCL (Sapphire now), and I'm trying to minimize my packing by maximizing my laundry.  Presuming a laundry bag was sufficiently reinforced with packing tape like I learned on another thread, how much can you cram into a bag?  Would 4 pairs of jeans, 4 shirts, 4 underwear and 4 pairs socks fit?  I remember years ago carefully layering the shirts and undergarments flat in the bottom, then tightly rolling the jeans and sticking them out the top.  I just can't remember if I crammed in 4 sets of clothes or 6.  Thanks! 

1 hour ago, julie3fan said:

I have a question that's only a little off topic, but saves starting another thread.  It's been years since I sent out laundry on NCL (Sapphire now), and I'm trying to minimize my packing by maximizing my laundry.  Presuming a laundry bag was sufficiently reinforced with packing tape like I learned on another thread, how much can you cram into a bag?  Would 4 pairs of jeans, 4 shirts, 4 underwear and 4 pairs socks fit?  I remember years ago carefully layering the shirts and undergarments flat in the bottom, then tightly rolling the jeans and sticking them out the top.  I just can't remember if I crammed in 4 sets of clothes or 6.  Thanks! 

We send in 4-8 bags of laundry a year. We have never, ever reinforced a bag. The bags work fine without heroic efforts. 

And there are laundry bags,,, then there are LAUNDRY BAGS. The photo below shows the smaller and Landry bags. 

IMG_5519.thumb.jpeg.13d35c788312a01acf84dd03e09e99b8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

@julie3fan I said it earlier in the thread - I fit 6 men's xxl t-shirts (including a long-sleeve), 4 xxl polo shirts, 9 xl boxers, a pair of khakis, a pair of cargo shorts and socks for 9 days into one of those bags with no heroic reinforcement efforts.

Take that for what it's worth...

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2024 at 9:31 PM, astera said:

I take it none of their fleet have self-service laundry facilities, not even bigger ships like The Escape?

Self-service doesn't allow them more opportunities to nickel and dime their customers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, scamper said:

Self-service doesn't allow them more opportunities to nickel and dime their customers.

My laundry is free. If it was self-serve, it would cost me $$$.

We did laundry at a hotel recently and it was $4.00 to wash. $4.00 to dry, and $2.50 for a box of soap. That was per load. And the washer didn’t take nickels or dimes,,, only credit cards. 

1 hour ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

The only cruise line where I found a self service laundry room was Carnival.

Look at some of the luxury lines. 

5 hours ago, jennjess said:

Is the free laundry per person or per cabin for platinum members?  Wondering if we could get 1 each.

The platinum laundry benefit is for each platinum member. 

On 7/14/2024 at 3:50 PM, Barb Nahoumi said:

The only cruise line where I found a self service laundry room was Carnival.

Holland America had/has them on a handful of their older ships.  Seabourn had them on the triplets.  I know because I would often enjoy a serving of caviar and a glass of bubbles in the old days while doing laundry.  Decadence.