From a Nova novice

jollyjones

I have posted about the virus on Chris's thread but I'd prefer to start a new thread since (I hope) my cruise is not going to be defined by norovirus.

This won't be a 'live from' but will be my random observations about this new class of ship.

I have sailed all the classic SS fleet, including the Cloud and Wind in the before days (I don't do expeditions) and I can already tell that this ship is 'now for something completely different', to steal the line. I am definitely not expecting the Spanish Inquisition, but I'm not sure what else I'll find, yet. Watch this space.

PS apologies if you're not a Monty Python fan.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jollyjones said:

I have posted about the virus on Chris's thread but I'd prefer to start a new thread since (I hope) my cruise is not going to be defined by norovirus.

This won't be a 'live from' but will be my random observations about this new class of ship.

I have sailed all the classic SS fleet, including the Cloud and Wind in the before days (I don't do expeditions) and I can already tell that this ship is 'now for something completely different', to steal the line. I am definitely not expecting the Spanish Inquisition, but I'm not sure what else I'll find, yet. Watch this space.

PS apologies if you're not a Monty Python fan.

Nobody expects the Inquisition! Have a great trip Jolly.

• Like 1

After sailing her back in November on the TA crossing (where has the time gone?) I will be interested in reading your posts and what your thoughts are about her.  

Posted (edited)

Have a marvelous cruise - look forward to hearing your thoughts! I enjoyed this ship but know that some others do not care for it.  

In light of the norovirus issues on the last voyage, it would seem that in addition to enforcement of use of the hand-washing stations, there will need to be greater care taken with the refillable water bottles issued to each passenger (e.g. not allowing passengers to refill their own at the refill stations). Will be curious to hear if they're taking this into consideration.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

I am going to be hopeful that SS is going to take corrective measures to prevent this from happening as this is going to hurt and tarnish the brand even more.

Will be on the Nova for the Vancouver to Tokyo TP crossing later this year. Will still make all effort to enjoy the cruise. 

Posted (edited)

Wow, am I at a disadvantage!

Having cruised exclusively on the Moon and Dawn recently - seven times in the past couple of years - I thought I knew every inch of those ships and was sure I just had to figure out where they'd moved things to on the Nova and I'd be home free.

Wrong.

Ah, hubris!

This is the Through the Looking Glass ship, it's sort of the same but at the same time, it's all completely different. 

When they called her the Nova, they meant it so much more that we realised.

Now I've got to forget all I knew and start again, it's a good job this is a 23 day cruise, it may take me that long to properly understand the underlying dynamics of the spaces and activities and people flow in the little village that this cruise ship is, and find out how I fit in. 

Don't think I am disturbed by this, it'll be an exciting adventure, and so far I am very happy; all my meals have been well cooked from quality ingredients and well presented, both the Dusk bar and the Salt bar have served me perfect cocktails, the crew have been unfailingly efficient and smiling despite what must have been a very difficult turnaround day for them, and my team came third in Trivia. (OK, full disclosure - third equal with six other teams). With so many sea days Trivia is a serious business on this cruise. Well, isn't it always.

But what are all these differences to which you allude, you ask??

I think they will have to come in future instalments, there is so much to get my head around first and I do want to try and get it right.

My goodness, don't I sound pretentious!!

Just follow the other thread by flyers if I am annoying, but I know there's some other solos out there who are interested and there's no doubt that the solo's impression and experience of cruising may differ markedly from that of couples or groups.

To be continued ... 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 15

I'm enjoying this, and I love your writing style.  I'll just make sure I have a few minutes free before clicking on new installments... 😉

I assume that Nova has a completely different layout than any of the other Silversea ships since it is the first one with cabins spread all the way aft.  That forces public spaces to be moved to different locations than usual on SS.  Hopefully you will find everything quickly, and will find that navigating around has a good flow.

I am very eager to hear Jollyjones’ impressions. My travel advisor told me that his longtime devoted SS clients didn’t love the Nova, but his new to SS clients thought the ship was very nice. Hope other SS enthusiasts will jump in…we learn so much from each other!

Having 9082 in the foreground was a bit of a giveaway, but full marks.

My first thought on viewing these long corridors was OMG, I'm back on a mainstream ship. But they're not that bad.

I love 'em because if I get too close to a 'fitness centre' I have an overcoming and have to go lie down till it passes, but I do like to walk. There is a perfectly good walking track up on Deck 10 but it goes through the Dusk Bar, my favourite, which whispers the siren song of temptation on every lap.

And if it's too cold, wet, hot, humid, wobbly or whatever, I like to walk indoors along the corridors so these are perfect for me, the other ships are too short.

I haven't counted the steps yet but I bet up and back once each on decks 6, 7, 8 and 9 might even be enough for Dr Ron. Or maybe twice.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

If it's wobbly, deck 6 would be best.  But it's nice to have four choices, so the scenery might vary a bit...

[My first guess on the photo was going to be "the inside of the Stanford Linear Accelerator" 🤣]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I thought I knew every inch of those ships and was sure I just had to figure out where they'd moved things to on the Nova and I'd be home free.

Wrong.

After years of only cruising Silver Wind and Silver Cloud, we too felt a little disoriented making the big move up to Silver Spirit. Can only imagine the quantum leap that you're experiencing! Looking forward to hearing about it in due time. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well my walking track on the Muse is from the forward lifts on deck 8 then up the stairs to the Panorama lounge then back to the forward lifts and repeat. It is my track for when the top deck is too hot, too humid, too cold or too windy. I take 400 steps on this track which is very close to what I do on the deck 11 walking track.

The long corridors sound like they would be ideal for walking.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If it's wobbly, deck 6 would be best.  

That's why my cabin is on Deck 6!

However, this ship is seriously stable. Admittedly the sea hasn't been very lumpy yet but it's a good job there's huge windows everywhere or it could be difficult to believe we're sailing the ocean blue. And it is blue ... and beautiful.

• Like 4

Oh my goodness. What fun! Can't wait to read about your adventures. And from the point of view of a solo, no less! (Although I'm not a true solo, as I'll be travelling with my dad. I know there'll be a lot of things that I will want to do that won't be his cup of tea.) Yay!!!

Posted (edited)

Instalment the next …

To begin at the bottom - Deck 3 - where one will find Atlantide side by side by SALT.

Last night I planned to eat at one of these venues so I thought I would try a pre-dinner tipple in the Shelter - an attractive semi circular room on the for’ard side of the huge empty area around the aft stairs.

I had been down there earlier to sit in what appeared to be some comfy chairs (they are), but there was a rather loud speed Sudoko competition going on so I retreated rapidly.

Upon my evening return, I could see that it is the ante room to the other Deck 3 facility - the toilets - and so it is a completely logical design choice that it is The Place for sophisticated and soignee souls to sink serious dosh buying posh champagne.

Being but an ‘umble person (who had to look up the spelling of soignee), I opted for the house champagne which was about to be delivered on a silver tray when  CRASH  came the sound as a mobility scooter exiting the aforementioned facility somehow tumbled over.

I drifted thataway to see if urgent help was required but the need was mechanical, not medical, so I retreated.  Help was summoned, the situation saved, peace was restored and my silver tray arrived.

It really is a beautiful bar, I will be back.

At about 8.20pm I wandered to the restaurants which were of course both busy, the rush of early eaters still eating, (I’m not deliberately awkward, it just works out that way), but the Maitre’d in SALT found me a perfect table and I enjoyed one of the best meals I have ever eaten on SS.

I’ll come back to food in another instalment, but suffice it to say that so far every morsel of every meal I have eaten on this ship has been good, great or best … no, sorry, I lie, the French fries at lunch in the Marquee are a bit skinny for my taste ... but otherwise it's all good.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 18
  • Haha 1