From a Nova novice

jollyjones

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, flyers said:

Hey Jolly how about a photo so we know where to find you?

David

I bet you could find me if you try - both les37b and Stumbles managed it first go on cruises long past. (Where are you both? We miss you)
I’ll be found strolling the ship solo clutching my trusty iPad and a real book, I’ve short white/grey hair and red rimmed glasses, and - no getting round it - I’m not as slim as I was. 
More clues in due course if that’s insufficient. Life’s a game, after all. Let’s all enjoy. 

PS - BTW the duck pasta thing in La T has been rubbish for years  - do not let your eyes settle for even a nanosecond on that menu option. It was once good but it is time for that myth to curl up in a corner and die of shame. Maybe the mid-cruise questionnaire would be a vehicle to suggest that? Again. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just curious if they changed anything since last year......Is the Arts Cafe still only open till 6pm? Or did  they wake up and decide to offer evening hours? And did they decide to offer adult beverages in that venue? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Just curious if they changed anything since last year......Is the Arts Cafe still only open till 6pm? Or did  they wake up and decide to offer evening hours? And did they decide to offer adult beverages in that venue? 

I’m coming to that Lois, but, sadly, no. 

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

PS - BTW the duck pasta thing in La T has been rubbish for years  - do not let your eyes settle for even a nanosecond on that menu option. It was once good but it is time for that myth to curl up in a corner and die of shame.

Absolutely agree, sad to say.

It was delicious the first time I had it. I anticipated having it again on my subsequent cruise but it was such a disappointment! You just can't make a real ragu with ground duck meat!

So I found a recipe and I make it at home now and then.

both les37b and Stumbles managed it first go on cruises long past. (Where are you both? We miss you)

Les posts now and then, but Stumble doesn't post or read here any more. I'll tell him that you were asking for him though.

• Like 3

JJ- enjoying your posts.   Loved Nova during 23 days in the Med in Oct/Nov.   Had only been on the Spirit.  

Did have some rough seas and was forward on 9 so won't be as much aft.

Please have an On Her Majesty's Secret Service champagne in the Shelter- no charge.

There were lots of nice solo ladies like me and we had a great time,

The Silver Note was also a favorite!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jpalbny said:

It was delicious the first time I had it. I anticipated having it again on my subsequent cruise but it was such a disappointment! You just can't make a real ragu with ground duck meat!

Agree with you and our excellent OP @jollyjones.

FWIW I found the Amatriciana excellent on our last voyage. Of course it's all Chef dependent. 😄

I am glad to hear that things have smoothed out since our voyage last October - December.  It will be a while before we are tempted to go on the Nova again since we favor the smaller ships.  Have a wonderful time!  The Nova is a beautiful ship especially in warm weather.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

FWIW I found the Amatriciana excellent on our last voyage. Of course it's all Chef dependent. 😄

Especially with regard to the amount of red chili flakes used!

Edited by canderson
typo
  • Haha 1

JJ, my DW and I are scratching our heads about an area on decks 6 to 9 that appear on the deck plans as two white crosshatched boxes starting after cabin 6058.  We’re guessing they are the crew only areas where the butlers and housekeeping get access to the decks. 
If possible can you confirm that? Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Oh2Bcruisin said:

JJ, my DW and I are scratching our heads about an area on decks 6 to 9 that appear on the deck plans as two white crosshatched boxes starting after cabin 6058.  We’re guessing they are the crew only areas where the butlers and housekeeping get access to the decks. 
If possible can you confirm that? Thanks!

It certainly is for the exhaust but may also house other functions as there isn't room for staterooms due to the stacks.image.jpeg.c19315e71d59fc064ad5d51f407d712e.jpeg

I always ask for extra chilli for dishes that I prefer extra spicy. Sometimes you get extra chilli flakes and some times actual chillies. I prefer it when the waiter supplies some extra chillies on the side as well.

• Like 1

And I think the amount they put in is too much - I have considered asking for no chili flakes but have suspected that’s not possible. 
Reminds me of les37b and myself re the Muse - he found the food in Indochine to be too bland, I struggled with it as being painfully over spiced. 

Chili (capsaicin) is sensed in the mouth by the pain receptors - I don’t understand the attraction of food that hurts. 

• Like 1

Chili (capsaicin) is sensed in the mouth by the pain receptors - I don’t understand the attraction of food that hurts. 

Chili prompts pain which then stimulates endorphins which becomes addictive!  I love hot chilis but honestly, I find the traditional Italian chili flakes a bit boring.  For more interesting, though not as hot, try Aleppo pepper flakes.  A nice Calabrian chili paste is great with red sauce pastas and pizzas.  I could go on and on but will leave it there since I’m way off-topic!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tothesunset said:

Chillis seem to be one of the few foods that pass unaffected through the alimentary canal and produce the same sensory effects at both ends! 

Johnny Cash had a song about it  :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, jollyjones said:

And I think the amount they put in is too much - I have considered asking for no chili flakes but have suspected that’s not possible. 
Reminds me of les37b and myself re the Muse - he found the food in Indochine to be too bland, I struggled with it as being painfully over spiced. 

Ann had no problems in Indochine on the Muse in the 30 days we were on the Muse. She just said I can't eat chilli so can you quarantee you can take all the chilli out. Most dishes they could and did a couple they couldn't.

Naturally I said just add it all to mine.

• Like 1

Jolly you must be keeping a low profile as still have not seen anyone with the colourful description that you have given!

So here is a photo of us all at lunch when visiting the Nova when she was last in St.Lucia together with the Mother of Nina Compton the ships God Mother.IMG_5754.thumb.JPG.7f6f060ce93ed276a13ea9f3026d6f9a.JPGIMG_5754.thumb.JPG.7f6f060ce93ed276a13ea9f3026d6f9a.JPG

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, flyers said:

Jolly you must be keeping a low profile as still have not seen anyone with the colourful description that you have given!

So here is a photo of us all at lunch when visiting the Nova when she was last in St.Lucia together with the Mother of Nina Compton the ships God Mother.IMG_5754.thumb.JPG.7f6f060ce93ed276a13ea9f3026d6f9a.JPGIMG_5754.thumb.JPG.7f6f060ce93ed276a13ea9f3026d6f9a.JPG

Sorry! I was ashore yesterday and, being a person who enjoys her own company I usually gravitate toward the less populated areas of the ship. But this is a long enough cruise, I'm sure we'll bump into each other sometime.

Posted (edited)

Back to random observations about the ship ...

(to other posters, please do continue to join in even if we do go wandering off down highways and byways, it's all great fun)

Today's observation is how grateful I am that the SALT bar has been raised from the dungeons of Deck 4 up to the rarified air and expansive views of Deck 10.

I did once enjoy a delicious cocktail in the SALT bar on the Dawn and would have liked to repeat the experience, but the room was just too small, dark and crowded for me - it induced stirrings of claustrophobia.

Now I can enjoy Interesting Drinks and a wonderful Panorama which is a big bonus because the Panorama lounge ain't wot it used to be - more about that on another day.

A simple SALT G&T:

IMG_0281.jpeg

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 11