Will we need a passport?

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

NJ does not offer an enhanced drivers license.

REAL ID licenses are not the same as enhanced drivers licenses. Every state offers REAL ID licenses. Only five states offer enhanced drivers licenses. 

Thank you my friend for doing the heavy lifting on answering this Real ID v Enhanced DL while I was at work actually dealing with passengers trying to tell me that their TN, MS, etc. Real ID Driver's License was all they needed to board the ship sailing to Alaska.  (Sigh - it never ends!)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Thank you my friend for doing the heavy lifting on answering this Real ID v Enhanced DL while I was at work actually dealing with passengers trying to tell me that their TN, MS, etc. Real ID Driver's License was all they needed to board the ship sailing to Alaska.  (Sigh - it never ends!)

Unfortunately I think you are right. It doesn't seem to matter what information is shared where, people are still going to confuse the two types of license.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Unfortunately I think you are right. It doesn't seem to matter what information is shared where, people are still going to confuse the two types of license.

So true, and we see it every single cruise day.  Usually the first words are "I was told all I need is my driver's license.  See this 'star'  This is all I need"

When the passenger is told that they need a passport or a birth certificate because they are going to Canada we hear, "I'm not going to Canada"  Then they tell us - "Well I won't get off the ship in Canada"

Despite showing up with just their Real ID DL,  the good news is probably 98% of the US born folks who show up without any acceptable ID, almost all are able to get a copy of their US birth certificate and can sail.  But the hours it can take waiting for someone at home to get into someone's house and locate a birth certificate can be very stressful.

I just wish that all the cruise lines would be a little more forceful in stating what documents are required.  It would just help everyone (passengers and pier staff).

• Like 1

In the United Kingdom a passport costs around $110.00, if you renew a photobooth or self taken photo is all you need. Then everything can be done at home on a laptop.  There seems to be a reluctance of US citizens to obtain passports are they a bit more expensive or tricky to obtain.  $11.00 a year is a bargain here.

Regards John

14 hours ago, john watson said:

In the United Kingdom a passport costs around $110.00, if you renew a photobooth or self taken photo is all you need. Then everything can be done at home on a laptop.  There seems to be a reluctance of US citizens to obtain passports are they a bit more expensive or tricky to obtain.  $11.00 a year is a bargain here.

Regards John

If passports were needed to go from state to state (kind of like going country to country in Europe), more would have passports. My state is tiny, it only takes 3 hours to drive end to end without traffic (which never happens). I think it’s takes about 15 hours to drive the length of California. Most can’t chip away at visiting many areas in the US as it is. It appears to be relatively inexpensive to train or fly from country to country across the pond, probably easier than traveling in and around the US. International flights are much more expensive.

Another comment on the great passport vs BC/ID debate.  I was recently on a closed loop cruise out of Long Beach CA.  On disembarkation, there were two lines -- those with passports and those with BC's.  The BC line was long.  There was no line at all in the passport lane.  

I really don't care which option folks elect but on this particular cruise I was glad I had a passport. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, john watson said:

I was just curious as to why US citizens do not get passports. Cost, difficulty in applying or not worth getting as you can avoid the necessity.

Regards John

Because for most Americans they are not needed.  

Keeping in mind the size and diversity of the country, domestic land travel throughout the US requires no ID.  

Domestic air travel still currently requires only a gov't issued ID, like a driver's license.  That will change next year when proof of citizenship status will be needed for domestic air travel.  For those that don't need a passport, a "Real ID"  is available, which is basically a verified driver's license.   The "real ID" is not good for international travel.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2024 at 2:54 PM, ldubs said:

Another comment on the great passport vs BC/ID debate.  I was recently on a closed loop cruise out of Long Beach CA.  On disembarkation, there were two lines -- those with passports and those with BC's.  The BC line was long.  There was no line at all in the passport lane.  

I really don't care which option folks elect but on this particular cruise I was glad I had a passport. 

IMO customs spends a little more time with the bc/id people than the people with passports. Also it seems every states bc and ids are different so the agents have to spend a little bit longer looking for info. With a passport they know exactly where the info they want to see is located. Could be wrong, but that is what I think. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

IMO customs spends a little more time with the bc/id people than the people with passports. Also it seems every states bc and ids are different so the agents have to spend a little bit longer looking for info. With a passport they know exactly where the info they want to see is located. Could be wrong, but that is what I think. 

And, even better, they used the facial recognition thing, so we didn't even need to show our passports.  No lines, no vetting, no customs.  There was much happiness!  😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

No, they don't. This is because every passenger is vetted by CBP while the cruise is taking place. We've traveled with BC/DL, EDL and passport and the time we spent in front of the CBP officer was relatively the same in each case. 

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

And, even better, they used the facial recognition thing, so we didn't even need to show our passports.  No lines, no vetting, no customs.  There was much happiness!  😃

You are still vetted. It happens behind the scenes. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2024 at 2:13 PM, ToneBarone said:

Just in case someone is reading this and is freaked out.  The US will never prohibit a US citizen from coming home passport or not.  Obviously having one certainly makes things easier but going to a port of entry (Canada or Mexico) or visiting an American embassy/consulate (everywhere else) they'll ask you a few questions, check some things and you'll be on your way home in no time.

I think your post is somewhat misleading and often will prove incorrect.  If you try to fly home on a flight that begins outside the USA, it is unlikely you will be allowed to board the plane unless you have a valid Passport.  While you will eventually get home, it may be many days (including a visit to a Consulate or Embassy) before you can get the necessary emergency Passport, and during that time you will be responsible for all your own expenses (not to mention the airfare).  As to traveling from Mexico or Canada, without a valid Passport (or, in some cases an EDL) how are you even going to get in those countries.  Trust me, that when we go to Mexico (where we live part of the year) the Mexican authorities demand a valid Passport.  

As to going to a US Consul or Embassy, the nearest one may be hundreds of miles distant from your location.  They do not conduct business on weekends/holidays and obtaining an emergency Passport can take several days.  Eventually you will get back into the USA, but the question remains how much in extra expenses and how many days delay.

The issue, for those on closed loop cruises is if they must leave their cruise when outside the USA.  This can happen for medical or family emergencies.  If one has a valid Passport, they simply need to get themselves to an airport on the next available flight.  Without a valid Passport, life can be very complicated.

Hank

Hank

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think your post is somewhat misleading and often will prove incorrect.  If you try to fly home on a flight that begins outside the USA, it is unlikely you will be allowed to board the plane unless you have a valid Passport.  While you will eventually get home, it may be many days (including a visit to a Consulate or Embassy) before you can get the necessary emergency Passport, and during that time you will be responsible for all your own expenses (not to mention the airfare).  As to traveling from Mexico or Canada, without a valid Passport (or, in some cases an EDL) how are you even going to get in those countries.  Trust me, that when we go to Mexico (where we live part of the year) the Mexican authorities demand a valid Passport.  

As to going to a US Consul or Embassy, the nearest one may be hundreds of miles distant from your location.  They do not conduct business on weekends/holidays and obtaining an emergency Passport can take several days.  Eventually you will get back into the USA, but the question remains how much in extra expenses and how many days delay.

The issue, for those on closed loop cruises is if they must leave their cruise when outside the USA.  This can happen for medical or family emergencies.  If one has a valid Passport, they simply need to get themselves to an airport on the next available flight.  Without a valid Passport, life can be very complicated.

Hank

Hank

I will limit my remarks to your last paragraph since getting back from a closed loop cruise is different than other forms of travel because the regulations that give us the closed loop exception also give the authorities the ability to waive the passport requirement for emergencies and humanitarian reasons. The prime example of this occurring was when the Carnival ship had to disembark everyone at a port because of a mechanical issue. Those without passports were issued a letter from CBP allowing them to board a direct flight back to the US. The same thing would happen for an individual traveler as well (what they do for many they can do for one because the same regulations apply). There would be a delay while the cruise line port agent worked things out with CBP and the traveler would need to chill their heels while this was taking place. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 12:04 PM, sparks1093 said:

You are still vetted. It happens behind the scenes. 

You mean they knew about those Guy's burgers I had stuffed in my pockets?  😃

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The dogs did. 

I didn't think about it at the time, but now that you mention it, I'm surprised I didn't see any of those around.  Maybe they had some on the other side where the BC line was.   

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 12:25 PM, ldubs said:

That will change next year when proof of citizenship status will be needed for domestic air travel.

so, non-citizens of the US will no longer be able to fly between states? One would need to prove they are a US citizen before they can board a domestic flight?  That doesn't sound right. Notice where it says Lawful Status instead of US citizenship. There are a lot of non-citizens in the US who have a lawful status. I think you are confusing Enhanced DL and Real ID.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/real-id-faqs

Beginning May 7, 2025 every state and territory resident will need to present a REAL ID compliant license/ID, or another acceptable form of identification, for accessing federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and boarding commercial aircraft. 

Q: How do I get a REAL ID?  

At a minimum, you must provide documentation showing: 1) Full Legal Name; 2) Date of Birth; 3) Social Security Number; 4) Two Proofs of Address of Principal Residence; and 5) Lawful Status.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

so, non-citizens of the US will no longer be able to fly between states? One would need to prove they are a US citizen before they can board a domestic flight?  That doesn't sound right. Notice where it says Lawful Status instead of US citizenship. There are a lot of non-citizens in the US who have a lawful status. I think you are confusing Enhanced DL and Real ID.

Of course not.  A passport or other accepted ID will be needed for non-US citizens just as currently required.  Never said otherwise.  And did I not specifically say  "citizenship status".    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

And did I not specifically say  "citizenship status".    

which means absolutely nothing, because citizenship status has nothing to do with flying domestically. Whether a person has a (US or otherwise) citizenship or not has nothing to do with Real ID or flying. Whether or not a person has a lawful status in the US would make a difference between them getting a Real ID or not. There are many kinds of lawful status (immigrant or non-immigrant) in the US which have nothing to do with citizenship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

which means absolutely nothing, because citizenship status has nothing to do with flying domestically. Whether a person has a (US or otherwise) citizenship or not has nothing to do with Real ID or flying. Whether or not a person has a lawful status in the US would make a difference between them getting a Real ID or not. There are many kinds of lawful status (immigrant or non-immigrant) in the US which have nothing to do with citizenship.

Sorry, In order to avoid the normal nitpicking, I actually tried to use a term that would indicate lawful residence in the US -- citizenship status.  I obviously failed, but hopefully most understood the intent.