Odyssey of the Seas vs CCL!?

46 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Is the solo discount automatically figured in the fare? I’ve been researching all

morning. A balcony on OOTS for 7 days is going to cost me about as much as a balcony

on Venezia cost me for 11 day 3/25-4/5 and that was over Easter when rates are usually higher. Just wondering….🤔

No last year I pushed to 340 pts to get the solo discount. It's a loyalty perk. Its 1 of the perks and why I said for me royal has the best perks. I'm going to push to pinnacle by the end of next year. Right now I get 2 days free wifi. At pinnacle the whole cruise is free wifi. 

The 4 free drinks a day dont start until diamond on rcl. 80 pts.

At 2 pts per night i pushed up fast on rcl since covid. 

I do group rates thru a TA not the advertised rates, minus D+ balcony discount, minus solo discount is why for me as a solo royal is cheaper than carnival, but I pushed for points last year when cruises were cheap.

45 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

How about MSC Meraviglia?

DS and DDIL cruised her and loved that ship. I also have NCL right here in Manhattan. For some reason I’m just drawn to RCL. We cruised on Voyager, Empress and Explorer years ago and I loved the ships. MSC for winter 2026 maybe! 😎

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

DS and DDIL cruised her and loved that ship. I also have NCL right here in Manhattan. For some reason I’m just drawn to RCL. We cruised on Voyager, Empress and Explorer years ago and I loved the ships. MSC for winter 2026 maybe! 😎

We're doing the Meraviglia end of June from Brooklyn. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

We're doing the Meraviglia end of June from Brooklyn. 

DS and DDIL loved the ship! You’ll have a great time! Well I took the plunge and booked 3/23-3/30/25. There were only a handful of balconies left. I am OCD about numbers so I booked 8512. 8 is my favorite/lucky # and our anniversary is 5/12 so I couldn’t NOT book it. It’s the first balcony forward. I’ve never had a forward cabin but I have cruised many times  thru very bad weather and don’t have a problem knock wood! I’m sure in the next 11 months I’ll have a ton of questions so beware! If anyone plans to cruise on CCL Venezia, I’m an expert! Thank you all for your advice and information. Happy cruising! 👏

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 8:46 PM, Crusin Karen said:

I will TRY to keep this as brief as possible 🤞 if you look at my sig you can see I’m a CCL cruiser-been Diamond for a long time-all the perks and I’m very spoiled! Husband passed unexpectedly couple years ago and instead of giving up cruising I’m a solo-I live in NE NJ so cruise from here now vs flying somewhere alone. I love to cruise in winter but CCL won’t have a ship here winter ‘25. Enter Odyssey! I do not care about itineraries. I mostly stay on ship. Don’t care much about shows either! I love to CRUISE! I love being ON a ship. I love to dress up for dinner. After I love to just have a drink and be around people. Thinking of booking OOTS March ‘25. Would the ship be a good fit for me? On CCL you can bring a bottle of wine and 12 pack of cans in carry on. Can I do this with OOTS? TIA for any advice/opinions! 

Just want to say I'm sorry about your dh and happy you are cruising.

My dd, sil and grandson live in Ridgewood. I love they (and I) can walk "to town".

We will be sailing on Odyssey April 25 so will just miss you.

Happy planning!

27 minutes ago, js said:

Just want to say I'm sorry about your dh and happy you are cruising.

My dd, sil and grandson live in Ridgewood. I love they (and I) can walk "to town".

We will be sailing on Odyssey April 25 so will just miss you.

Happy planning!

Thank you! I am actually 4th generation Ridgewood on both sides of my family. My

kids are 5th! Dh’es family

moved here when he was in 10th grade. My DH was a Ridgewood Policeman and both sons are now too so we have a long history with the Village. And my birthday is April 25th so we will both be celebrating that day! 👏

We cruise both cruiselines but i admit i'm partial to Royal at this point. We still book Carnival mainly for a great itinerary, i'm diamond on both so i guess i get a little "special attention" on both although it's not really much?!?

If we're booking for a specific itinerary, those seem to be older, smaller ships, which is fine with us as we're cruising for the ports. If we're just cruising to get on a ship to go anywhere, we do try and book newer, bigger ships on Royal. I love them all. 🙂

We tend to cruise in suites these days which definitely does give us those special feels like first on/first off which is nice....a few free drinks here and there and maybe a free bag of laundry!

I'm sure you will enjoy Odyssey, i think she's a beautiful ship!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ajtaylor29 said:

We cruise both cruiselines but i admit i'm partial to Royal at this point. We still book Carnival mainly for a great itinerary, i'm diamond on both so i guess i get a little "special attention" on both although it's not really much?!

What kind of special attention do you get? I am Platinum on CCL and Diamond Plus on RCI, but I don’t feel like I get special attention from either cruise line based on my loyalty level. To be fair, I have not cruised on CCL since 2019 and I have no plans to cruise on CCL again, so I can’t address how CCL currently treats Platinums and Diamonds. 

14 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What kind of special attention do you get? I am Platinum on CCL and Diamond Plus on RCI, but I don’t feel like I get special attention from either cruise line based on my loyalty level. To be fair, I have not cruised on CCL since 2019 and I have no plans to cruise on CCL again, so I can’t address how CCL currently treats Platinums and Diamonds. 

First to make a correction - I'm platinum on CCL, not Diamond. 🙂

I guess really it's not much....most of our feel goods come from the suite life!

For being diamond on RC, i get those 4 free drinks per day. I get to use the suite lounge for coffee and pastries.

um.....what else do i get?!? I guess not much, a few discounts maybe.

Book a suite if you can. 🙂

On 4/20/2024 at 2:20 PM, Crusin Karen said:

I’ve been on her 3x. Going again 5/6 and booked for May, 2025. She’s a nice ship but….I live in NE NJ and only cruise from this area now and I enjoy getting away winter/pre spring. Carnival  isn’t keeping a ship here in the winter anymore so I’m looking for something else! 

This summer and next will have the Symphony of the seas in Bayonne and she is Oasis class with Aqua theater and ice show and Broadway show in theatre 

I think you should try Symphony as well as Odyssey.

both classes of ship offer a lot and yet are different.

Also you will get to go to Coco Cay the private island with the big pool just like Amber Cove only with free food too.

Also Royal will not charge money for flavored tea bags in buffet.

and cookies are better than CCL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ajtaylor29 said:

First to make a correction - I'm platinum on CCL, not Diamond. 🙂

I guess really it's not much....most of our feel goods come from the suite life!

For being diamond on RC, i get those 4 free drinks per day. I get to use the suite lounge for coffee and pastries.

um.....what else do i get?!? I guess not much, a few discounts maybe.

Book a suite if you can. 🙂

Thx but I’ve been cruising past 2 years solo since my husband passed. I’d get lost in a suite! 

• Like 1

Odyssey is a great ship, its different than alot of others, but we really enjoyed it.  270 at the back of the ship is a great venue, we found ourselves back there often sitting at the bar enjoying the entertainment and the views.  Never been on Carnival, so I can't compare.

Dan