How much luggage do you take for a 2 week cruise.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:05 AM, MicCanberra said:

Wow, Max 4 pairs for me. Slappers, Walking shoes ( Hoka or Merrells), Boat shoes and possibly sandals if it is a warm weather location

You over packer you.😄

I only take three pair, my trusty walkers, boat shoes for around the ship, and a formal pair.

3 hours ago, Jean C said:

I could do, I guess, but I find slippers so much more comfortable. They're thin and flat so they take up next to no room.  On holiday I only wear jandals for around pools, I'd leave them out of packing if I was very short of space.

Good idea about the hotel slippers. Can they be bought or do you take them from hotels? I have a nice pair from our Tokyo hotel a couple of months ago but they don’t last long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

That is what I do.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Are you aware of the ACT Cruisers monthly meet ups? A socially active group of people with experience and information on cruising while having a drink.

What a wonderful idea!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, luckybecky said:

I sort of pride myself on packing light -- or at least trying to. 😜

On the cruise we just finished, we had the most luggage I've ever taken. Two carry on size cases, plus one slightly larger mid size suitcase, and two backpacks. In our defense, it was the longest cruise we have ever taken at 25 days. And we had to pack for cold weather (New Zealand) and warm beach weather (South Pacific). It was a challenge to pack and also to find room for everything in our cabin.

We didn't have enough warm clothes (needed layers!!) but otherwise could have packed lighter. 

My all time favorite sandal broke literally as we were walking onto the ship on day one (Really?!?!) of that 25 day cruise! Oh no! Thank goodness I had an extra pair of sandals but it didn't make up for breaking my favorite that I had intended to wear almost every single day. Was good to have a backup.

I also must own every travel accessory known to man. That takes up space. Some favorites are a collapsible laundry hamper and a shower caddy. 

Every trip is a Tetris challenge to pack as light as possible but also take everything we need.

Those collapsible laundry hampers are a great idea. However, I just take along a pillowcase and hang it from a trouser hanger in the cabin wardrobe and put soiled clothes in that. Find it works a treat and if I don't get around to washing everything for disembarkation, I have something to segregate the soiled clothes from the clean ones in the suitcase.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ceeceeDee said:

Those collapsible laundry hampers are a great idea. However, I just take along a pillowcase and hang it from a trouser hanger in the cabin wardrobe and put soiled clothes in that. Find it works a treat and if I don't get around to washing everything for disembarkation, I have something to segregate the soiled clothes from the clean ones in the suitcase.

I’ve seen those laundry hampers. In hotels we use the laundry bags that come with our Away suitcases and I thought for a cruise I’d use it and attach to a wall with magnets. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PoppyVelvet said:

No I didn’t know. Thanks!

It meets the 2nd Saturday of the month at the Yacht club 3pm. Next one is 11 May, there is a FB group 'ACT Cruisers'.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It meets the 2nd Saturday of the month at the Yacht club 3pm. Next one is 11 May, there is a FB group 'ACT Cruisers'.

Great! My husband just joined the FB group (I don’t go on FB anymore). Unfortunately we are going to Singapore/London/Frankfurt over the first half of May so we’ll have to wait for the next one 😢 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PoppyVelvet said:

Good idea about the hotel slippers. Can they be bought or do you take them from hotels? I have a nice pair from our Tokyo hotel a couple of months ago but they don’t last long. 

Yes, I've got them from hotels, I only wear them on holidays - one size fits all are too big for me but I don't like being barefoot. They stay in my "cruise bits and pieces" cupboard.

By the way, for clarity herewith photos of jandals and thongs 🤣

Screenshot_20240423-115023_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240423-115229_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Yes, I've got them from hotels, I only wear them on holidays - one size fits all are too big for me but I don't like being barefoot. They stay in my "cruise bits and pieces" cupboard.

By the way, for clarity herewith photos of jandals and thongs 🤣

Screenshot_20240423-115023_Google.jpg

One size fits all is usually a bit small for me but these ones from Tokyo stretch so they fit me quite well

49 minutes ago, PoppyVelvet said:

Great! My husband just joined the FB group (I don’t go on FB anymore). Unfortunately we are going to Singapore/London/Frankfurt over the first half of May so we’ll have to wait for the next one 😢 

There are plenty of more months this year. Enjoy your trip

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Yes, I've got them from hotels, I only wear them on holidays - one size fits all are too big for me 

By the way, for clarity herewith photos of thongs 🤣

I have never been to that type of hotel where they provide these.

BTW is Thongs, Singular or plural?:classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thongs plural is what you put on your feet. Thong singular is what you put on your bum.

But you need to pack more than one thong singular 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/21/2024 at 10:22 AM, cruiser3775 said:

Like many others, i can't go on a cruise without taking a flight to get to the port. So I am limited to the one suitcase, no more than 23 kg, requirement. I take an airline sized carry on which can be attached to the handle of the main suitcase for moving around the airport.

I just always book an extra suitcase each at a minimum.  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 1:20 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't have the figure to wear cocktail dresses these days. 😪 Thank goodness for Camilla kaftans, they hide all my wobbly bits! 🤣

Never heard of Camilla Kaftans before, just Googled them - crikey they're a bit exy!  I think I'll stick with paying for my extra luggage.  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 2:30 PM, Ozwoody said:

Oh so true, especially for a world cruise.

What follows will probably put some of you in incredulous horror.😵

For our last WC in 2018, once we finished packing we had 6 check in bags.....

Don't get to excited yet.

We also had two carry-ons each as well.

But when your away over three months, there is a lot of other stuff, yes there was extra clothes as most of the cruise was in warm regions, but there was a reasonable trip through the artic circle, requiring warm heavy clothes.

And then there was Hil's art gear, brushes, paints, canvases, etc.

Plus heaps of, health stuff for three months, electronic stuff like charges for shavers, phones, tablets, tooth brushes, hearing aids, trimers, etc.

And I won't go into shoes, women will know what I mean.

When I seen the line up, my eyebrows were just as high as some of you are now.🤣

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Never heard of Camilla Kaftans before, just Googled them - crikey they're a bit exy!  I think I'll stick with paying for my extra luggage.  

They have great sales though, especially the warehouse sales. 

• Like 3

We each take a large piece of luggage, One suit and dress garment bag to share, each a carry on-  I also take a back pack as a handbag.  We like choice and want to be prepared for all types of weather.

We use laundry service, but only for under garments, including socks, cheap tee shirts and other items- we wash our swim suits by hand.  Enjoy choice.  We once went in an escape room and we were with a man who smelled horribly.  Please make sure you clean your clothes.  They do pick up body odor even if they appear clean.

• Like 1

Yuck. It's not THAT difficult to wash a few things in the cabin bathroom! I always take a bar of Sunlight laundry soap in a zip lock bag. Takes up no room in the suitcase. I've found that light clothing in particular (undies and cotton shirts and dresses, etc) dry overnight hung up in the bathroom. I remember when we had an ocean view cabin on one cruise I actually draped undies on the flat window sill. OK, it looked like a Chinese laundry 😂 but everything dried quite rapidly in the sunlight coming in through the window. Don't know what the cabin attendants thought, but I would venture to guess they've seen worse than my bikini briefs.🤣

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 9:36 AM, PoppyVelvet said:

The hotel slippers are very flimsy, made to be thrown away after a couple of wears. They also tend to come apart at the toe, which is a tripping hazard.  You can buy similar lightweight ones, but slightly sturdier and with a better sole, at places like K Mart. That's what I take.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

The hotel slippers are very flimsy, made to be thrown away after a couple of wears. They also tend to come apart at the toe, which is a tripping hazard.  You can buy similar lightweight ones, but slightly sturdier and with a better sole, at places like K Mart. That's what I take.

We don't bother with slippers. Our rubber thongs just do double duty - slippers and poolside footwear. And we're cheapos - the thongs are P&O (alleged) 'freebies' from a past cruise.
😉🤭