How much luggage do you take for a 2 week cruise.

And I thought our word for such footwear (thongs) created enough confusion.

I'm glad you warned me about this other slip-on rubber footwear's name - I'll try to control my eyebrows and jaw if I hear a fellow Aussie referring to his slappers on my next cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

What are they in NZ?

They're still jandals I think. Crocs do the shaped base with arch support style. Also Adidas, although the tops are scuff style.

NZers would definitely raise eyebrows if you said you were taking your slappers on holiday with you 😳 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Muffinz said:

I remember getting advice on here for everything, when we did our first cruise (2018)

One lady said her and her sister went on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean and took 34 pairs of shoes between them!

I think I took 4 pairs on our cruise....

Was she a centipede?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

17 pairs per person? Maybe a bit excessive for a 7 day cruise. I'm up to 13 pairs for the world cruise but that includes reef shoes. I'm still debating whether to take my ankle boots but realistically the only time I'm likely to wear them would be on a dinner excursion in Capetown as it could be cool there. I might just make do with my black Skechers - who cares what my feet look like!

At most I take evening shoes (dance pumps, so light and comfortable), 1 pair of joggers, 1 pair of wedge sandals,1 pair of thongs and on occasion 1 pair of ballet flats (sometimes I don't bother with these, depends on the time of year) regardless of the length of the cruise.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

And I thought our word for such footwear (thongs) created enough confusion.

I'm glad you warned me about this other slip-on rubber footwear's name - I'll try to control my eyebrows and jaw if I hear a fellow Aussie referring to his slappers on my next cruise.

Like I said, it is just a brand, Aussie made and mainly sold in Darwin or online,

Archie's are similar, but I don't think they are as good.

Most thongs are cheap and flat, no arch support or grip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's a shame.

Franks only had one Christmas home in the 16 years we’ve been married so we decided it was time again 🥰

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Slappers are a type of thong that have arch support and fit snuggle as to be able to run backwards in them. Very comfortable.

download.jpeg

Aren’t they spelt Slappa, as in Slappa’s thongs? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Like I said, it is just a brand, Aussie made and mainly sold in Darwin or online,

Archie's are similar, but I don't think they are as good.

Most thongs are cheap and flat, no arch support or grip.

I understand. No cheap flat thongs at our age.

I like the plastic ones with some internal shape which look like Birks - with the double strap. They work for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

At most I take evening shoes (dance pumps, so light and comfortable), 1 pair of joggers, 1 pair of wedge sandals,1 pair of thongs and on occasion 1 pair of ballet flats (sometimes I don't bother with these, depends on the time of year) regardless of the length of the cruise.

Shoes and my feet don't get on very well! Even shoes that are well broken in sometimes give me problems so I like to have plenty of choice, especially in evening sandals, so I can alternate what I'm wearing from day to day.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Shoes and my feet don't get on very well! Even shoes that are well broken in sometimes give me problems so I like to have plenty of choice, especially in evening sandals, so I can alternate what I'm wearing from day to day.

I have a couple of basic patent Diana Ferrari low heals, black and neutral that gives most my evening stuff, plus with black pants, and the neutral

ones with black pants and neutral jacket make a whole different look.

• Like 2

We normally pack 2 checked bags and 2 carry ons. But on our last cruise we discovered the outstanding laundry service on HAL. We found with that we had way more stuff than "needed". I think for the "great Australian meet and greet tour" we will try to pack less. We have booked places with laundry facilities in the suite for the 4 weeks of land travel, and we will get the unlimited laundry package for the 43 day cruise home. I suspect we will be bringing more stuff home than we left with.

• Like 3

I sort of pride myself on packing light -- or at least trying to. 😜

On the cruise we just finished, we had the most luggage I've ever taken. Two carry on size cases, plus one slightly larger mid size suitcase, and two backpacks. In our defense, it was the longest cruise we have ever taken at 25 days. And we had to pack for cold weather (New Zealand) and warm beach weather (South Pacific). It was a challenge to pack and also to find room for everything in our cabin.

We didn't have enough warm clothes (needed layers!!) but otherwise could have packed lighter. 

My all time favorite sandal broke literally as we were walking onto the ship on day one (Really?!?!) of that 25 day cruise! Oh no! Thank goodness I had an extra pair of sandals but it didn't make up for breaking my favorite that I had intended to wear almost every single day. Was good to have a backup.

I also must own every travel accessory known to man. That takes up space. Some favorites are a collapsible laundry hamper and a shower caddy. 

Every trip is a Tetris challenge to pack as light as possible but also take everything we need.

• Like 2

Our two main suitcases each have a super-lightweight collapsable laundry hamper, a very lightweight shoe hanger, and a ultra-lightweight day pack permanently in them. That way we never forget those things even when we just take one of the suitcases.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 5:21 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

So we'll just have two carry-ons and a backpack to take with us when we check-in. 

Make that two backpacks! The stuff I had earmarked for one backpack didn't fit! 

• Haha 1

Usually x 3 for me.

No slappers, but a similar idea with arch support. A bit like the smooth masseurs.

A pair of casual sketchers.

A pair of good black shoes for dinner. It is good for us men, colour co-ordinating our whole case to black or brown belt & shoes.

Add a pair of reef shoes for the relevant itineraries.

I have access to those cheap slippers on Princess, but rarely use them.

Barb is trying, but has worked out that packing a clothing colour theme does halve the number of shoes she needs to pack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Usually x 3 for me.

No slappers, but a similar idea with arch support. A bit like the smooth masseurs.

A pair of casual sketchers.

A pair of good black shoes for dinner. It is good for us men, colour co-ordinating our whole case to black or brown belt & shoes.

Add a pair of reef shoes for the relevant itineraries.

I have access to those cheap slippers on Princess, but rarely use them.

Barb is trying, but has worked out that packing a clothing colour theme does halve the number of shoes she needs to pack.

Marks and Spencer have really cool reversable belts - black one side, brown the other. Very useful for travel.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jean C said:

I'm not a shoe person, comfort has always been my priority. However, it's surprising how the number of pairs taken on a cruise add up -

1. Trainers for the plane (my feet get cold, brrrr).

2.  Keens for traipsing around the ship and on shore.

3. Jandals for around the pool.

4.  Dress sandals for dinner - one or two pairs.

5.  Slippers for in the cabin.

6.  Reef shoes for the beach.

👟 👡 🩴 🥿 👠

Hello! Curious… can’t you double up in using the jandals (these are things, right?) as slippers? That’s what I do when travelling, although I will confess to (horrors!) not having been on a cruise yet!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PoppyVelvet said:

Hello! Curious… can’t you double up in using the jandals (these are things, right?) as slippers? That’s what I do when travelling, although I will confess to (horrors!) not having been on a cruise yet!

I could do, I guess, but I find slippers so much more comfortable. They're thin and flat so they take up next to no room.  On holiday I only wear jandals for around pools, I'd leave them out of packing if I was very short of space.

• Like 1

PS, when you do go on your first cruise, be prepared, you'll likely find it addictive. Most who post on here are cruise addicts, this site is our therapy, hehehe😊  🛳  🍾 🍷 🥂 🍹 🥳

• Like 6

On our first (and to date only) cruise we just took a large suitcase each... I had a backpack to take on the plane.

We had 1 night in a hotel Pre cruise, 13 night cruise and 2 nights in a hotel post cruise.

Whet I did though was put a small carry on suitcase in my main case, so on the last night of the cruise I kept that out with my clothes..etc.. for the next day.

We will probably do something similar in December on our next cruise (from Sydney)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PoppyVelvet said:

That is what I do.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Are you aware of the ACT Cruisers monthly meet ups? A socially active group of people with experience and information on cruising while having a drink.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jean C said:

PS, when you do go on your first cruise, be prepared, you'll likely find it addictive. Most who post on here are cruise addicts, this site is our therapy, hehehe😊  🛳  🍾 🍷 🥂 🍹 🥳

I’ve already booked 5 and haven’t stepped foot on a ship yet!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

That is what I do.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Are you aware of the ACT Cruisers monthly meet ups? A socially active group of people with experience and information on cruising while having a drink.

No I didn’t know. Thanks!

• Like 1