How much luggage do you take for a 2 week cruise.

We have learnt that we do not need anywhere near the amount of clothes we used to take, and n9w tend to have the system down pat. The same amount of clothes for 3 days will likely do for 2 weeks, just recycle through the outfits.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We have learnt that we do not need anywhere near the amount of clothes we used to take, and n9w tend to have the system down pat. The same amount of clothes for 3 days will likely do for 2 weeks, just recycle through the outfits.

We’ve only ever taken one med size suitcase no matter how long we have gone for to anywhere inc May in Alaska or 4 weeks in South Africa 😁

• Like 3

A lot depends on where you are going, what type of clothes you wear, and what laundry facilities there are onboard.

If it's a hot climate I need more changes of clothes than cooler climates but cooler weather may need more layers.

On Princess I get free laundry so can have less changes as long as the laundry turnaround is reasonable - ie 2 days maximum. On other cruise lines it depends on whether they have guest laundrettes or offer deals on laundry. In those cases I plan on eight days of changes. 

When in doubt of weather or laundry facilities I pack more rather than less, and I loathe having to do laundry in my cabin. 

• Like 4

We bring clothes that are quick drying and don't need pressing. We wash the clothes we wore that day nightly, they are dry by the morning. Evening clothes can get several wears out of them before washing. 

• Like 1

When we go on a cruise, I go on a holiday, I'm not planning on mucking around doing domestics.😁

On cruises less than 14 nights I take underwear/socks for each night, & clothes for half the cruise.

Cruises over 14 nights its 14 changes of underwear/socks, 7 days clothes.

World Cruise 21 days undies and clothes for 14, if we were not elite, probably add a bit extra.

OK, I'm probably an over-packer, but Unashamedly so.😜

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

When we go on a cruise, I go on a holiday, I'm not planning on mucking around doing domestics.😁

On cruises less than 14 nights I take underwear/socks for each night, & clothes for half the cruise.

Cruises over 14 nights its 14 changes of underwear/socks, 7 days clothes.

World Cruise 21 days undies and clothes for 14, if we were not elite, probably add a bit extra.

OK, I'm probably an over-packer, but Unashamedly so.😜

Sounds like you may need those large bags.

• Haha 1

My wife and daughter have one method, bung as much as the cases can take and if overweight remove until correct weight for air flights. I make sure I have a space for their purchases when away. On our Singapore to Australia cruise I have no doubt we will be coming back with one more new suitcase 😊

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Two weeks would usually be 1 x 23kg case between us, plus a carry-on each. If we are travelling with winter clothes we will go with 2 x cases, but heaps of weight to spare.

As a packing guide:

a) Get out all of your clothes ready for packing

b) Pack half of those clothes

c) Grab your wallet and take double the cash

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The issue we have is we often have other travel and flights as well. You don't want to be lugging big bags around when doing all of that.

Yes, Barb has a crook shoulder, so I become the mule and prefer not to be muscling around two heavy cases if I can avoid it. There will come a time when that will no longer be possible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The issue we have is we often have other travel and flights as well. You don't want to be lugging big bags around when doing all of that.

We've never found it a problem, but then our flights are fairly simple ones.

Get taxi to air port, take bags direct to drop off, take flight, grab bags, take to car hire, stow bags in car. Usually stay multiple day at each stop. Come home via cruise ship. Voilà done!🤗

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I'm with you, as long as it's a summer weather cruise I could even get away with just an airline cabin size holdall - and have done so for 7 nights (I take a warm top for the plane). We usually take a suitcase each though, for extras like snorkelling gear, a few permitted edibles if we have hotel accommodation and of course our permitted wine 🍷 🍾 

• Like 2

OMG!  Where did you get my photo? 

Seriously, anyone who's read my posts over a period of time will probably be aware that I don't even comprehend 'travel light'.  A 2 week cruise?  Bubbeh: 1 large suitcase, 1 medium suitcase, 1 carry on suitcase, 1 tote bag and 1 shoulder bag; Grumpy: 1 large suitcase, 1 medium suitcase and 1 carry on suitcase.  I pack for good weather, I pack for bad weather, I pack for cyclones, I pack for heat waves, I pack water bottles, I pack mugs, I pack dishwashing liquid, tea towels, dish cloths and a dish drainer.  Basically, if it lives in my house and is in any way portable, I pack it.

• Haha 11

23 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

I pack for good weather, I pack for bad weather, I pack for cyclones, I pack for heat waves, I pack water bottles, I pack mugs, I pack dishwashing liquid, tea towels, dish cloths and a dish drainer.  Basically, if it lives in my house and is in any way portable, I pack it.

You forgot the kitchen sink 🤣

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jean C said:

You forgot the kitchen sink 🤣

That's not portable, but if you know where I can get one please point me in that direction.  😉

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bubbeh said:

That's not portable, but if you know where I can get one please point me in that direction.  😉

Haha, back in the dark ages in the UK, the "kitchen sink" was a large plastic bowl!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Haha, back in the dark ages in the UK, the "kitchen sink" was a large plastic bowl!

Oh, I actually do take one of those, it's a collapsible camping sink.  

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Haha 3

I am not a light packer as I like choice. My next cruise in May is tricky as we will have a charter flight to Solomon Islands from Sydney. Luggage restricted to 23kg + 7kg carryon away for 28 days. Because it will be hot & humid I will want to change clothing during the day. Thankfully I have laundry included but it will be a two day turnaround. 

My plan is to cut right down on my shoes and be more ruthless with clothing selection but it will be a challenge.

• Like 4

We've switched from very large suitcases to medium-large expandable suitcases and overnight bags that sit on top of the suitcases. So our regular luggage consists of two of these sets plus carry-ons. That works everywhere unless we have to fly to the US as their baggage allowances aren't based on overall weight, but on number of bags of no more than 23kgs. Virgin Australia is now using this type as well for domestic flights. So when we went to the US in 2018 we had to buy another suitcase as we could not be able to expand our usual ones for the flight home ... serious shopping was planned on that trip. So we flew to the US with three checked in bags but came home with five - we'd packed the overnight bags in our suitcases to use once we got to the US.

For our upcoming world cruise we've had to buy another suitcase as we have a lot of "consumables" to take on that cruise. Packing day, next Sunday, is going to be a battle I think!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jean C said:

A few years back I renovated a house with no kitchen plumbing or sink. It was built in 1914. The kitchen had a 1927 Early Kooka gas stove, (still working) as well as fuel stove . Washing up was done in a tub on the kitchen table with water brought in from the laundry.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've switched from very large suitcases to medium-large expandable suitcases and overnight bags that sit on top of the suitcases. So our regular luggage consists of two of these sets plus carry-ons. That works everywhere unless we have to fly to the US as their baggage allowances aren't based on overall weight, but on number of bags of no more than 23kgs. Virgin Australia is now using this type as well for domestic flights. So when we went to the US in 2018 we had to buy another suitcase as we could not be able to expand our usual ones for the flight home ... serious shopping was planned on that trip. So we flew to the US with three checked in bags but came home with five - we'd packed the overnight bags in our suitcases to use once we got to the US.

For our upcoming world cruise we've had to buy another suitcase as we have a lot of "consumables" to take on that cruise. Packing day, next Sunday, is going to be a battle I think!

In one of our bags lives a collapsible bag, about the same size and shape of a medium size suit case. takes up minimum space and weighs about 200 grams.

Inevitably coming home we find we have more than we started with.

No idea where it comes from, don't need anything, don't plan to buy anything!

But some how that jolly collapsing case comes in handy....🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3