Park 19 on the Sun Princess

Just now, reedprincess said:

And you have that on what authority?

It's pretty darn clear, 16+ for Sanctuary Collection Sanctuary use - given that the info is specific to the changeover to Sanctuary Collection..

While I agree - it's ridiculous to think families would book with the knowledge that they're kids wouldn't be able to use one of the largest draws - it is quite clear that they're not changing it. At least to start.  

Whether they'll re-evaluate after a few weeks/months - anyone's guess.  Sun has been an ongoing evolution of changes...

Wait and see.  They are discussing this issue.  And yes, I do have a highly placed source at Princess. 

But even if I didn't common sense says that  someone who is paying huge amounts per night to sail with princess is going to want their entire family to enjoy the amenity.  And is capable of taking their business elsewhere.

The number they are currently discussing is lowering the age to 12.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Its the journey said:

And I'm told (not going on this ship until November) that at one end, people can look down at the sun bathers in the sanctuary.  

That’s going to be unavoidable no matter what they put up there. I’m thinking Park 19 will just go back to being the sports deck of older ships with basketball, golf and other outdoor activities. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Its the journey said:

My first cruise was Cunard when I was 5.

Mine too.  Only it was two Trans-Atlantics.  One from NY to Cherbourg and later that summer a return from Cherbourg to NY.  And I was 13.  In addition to shuffleboard, I seem to recall some sort of ring toss game that was also played out on deck and scored similarly to shuffleboard.  14 total days without port stops and without a topside amusement park.  And I wasn't bored for a single minute of a single day. 

I find it very amusing that there are lots of posts about kids having nothing to do, and also lots of posts by people who don't want to sail on ships with lots of kids. The second type of post would suggest that people are being bothered by the children, which in turn makes the first type of post a fallacy.  You see...irritating the old folks on the ship seems to be kids' favorite thing to do on a ship.  So there really IS something for them to do! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Its the journey said:

Wait and see.  They are discussing this issue.  And yes, I do have a highly placed source at Princess. 

But even if I didn't common sense says that  someone who is paying huge amounts per night to sail with princess is going to want their entire family to enjoy the amenity.  And is capable of taking their business elsewhere.

The number they are currently discussing is lowering the age to 12.  Time will tell.

If you do have a highly placed source at Princess you can tell them that lowering the age to 12 is a useless change and may cause more unhappiness than just leaving it where it is.

We are traveling with two granddaughters , ages 9 and 12. Right now neither can go so we'll go elsewhere but if they lower the age so one can go but the other can't it'll generate ill feelings. 

Either let children in or keep them out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Mine too.  Only it was two Trans-Atlantics.  One from NY to Cherbourg and later that summer a return from Cherbourg to NY.  And I was 13.  In addition to shuffleboard, I seem to recall some sort of ring toss game that was also played out on deck and scored similarly to shuffleboard.  14 total days without port stops and without a topside amusement park.  And I wasn't bored for a single minute of a single day. 

I find it very amusing that there are lots of posts about kids having nothing to do, and also lots of posts by people who don't want to sail on ships with lots of kids. The second type of post would suggest that people are being bothered by the children, which in turn makes the first type of post a fallacy.  You see...irritating the old folks on the ship seems to be kids' favorite thing to do on a ship.  So there really IS something for them to do! 

I had forgotten the ring toss!   

I remember the crew lining up to greet us as we came aboard.  I felt so special!

2 minutes ago, chamima said:

If you do have a highly placed source at Princess you can tell them that lowering the age to 12 is a useless change and may cause more unhappiness than just leaving it where it is.

We are traveling with two granddaughters , ages 9 and 12. Right now neither can go so we'll go elsewhere but if they lower the age so one can go but the other can't it'll generate ill feelings. 

Either let children in or keep them out.

Lol, I do not advise people on how to do their jobs. 

That is probably why I have quite a few friends, many of them well placed.

And why I get many choices bits of gossip.  

Honestly, I get it. They want to keep their whales (high paying customers) happy.  That is their priority. 

I get it, but I don't like it.

They didn't even think to have an adult pool for the masses until they got complaints by the ton.

However, the best thing people can do is spend their money elsewhere.  That sends the best message.  And really the only message they care about.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I was 11 on my first cruise and there was absolutely nothing for me and my brother to do. So yes we had great fun being little gits.

The best bit was when we hit a storm in the Med’ and the adults couldn’t stomach it. Sick bags everywhere and we would joke and lark about.

Other than Alpine skiing (my first passion) cruising has been fantastic ever since!

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Thrak said:

image.thumb.png.5026f293706c1c94fa1530e3e2ff8730.png

Well, it's official.... a complete redo before it was even used!!

Nice to finally see it officially announced.

Edited by jennybenny

4 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I was 11 on my first cruise and there was absolutely nothing for me and my brother to do. So yes we had great fun being little gits.

the best bit was when we hit a storm in the Med’ and the adults couldn’t stomach it. Sick bags everywhere and we would joke and lark about.

Other than Alpine skiing (my first passion) cruising has been Fanta ever since!

I loved that first cruise so much.  My family wasn't particularly well off at that time and I knew they made a big sacrifice for us to be enjoying this experience, I was so grateful even as a child.  

It was a big family cruise, and made a great impression on several in my generation, more than one now work in the industry and one is a ships Captain!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Its the journey said:

I loved that first cruise so much.  My family wasn't particularly well off at that time and I knew they made a big sacrifice for us to be enjoying this experience, I was so grateful even as a child.  

It was a big family cruise, and made a great impression on several in my generation, more than one now work in the industry and one is a ships Captain!

We introduced our two kids to cruising when they were young too. 
They loved them so much my DD worked up to Activities Manager with Celebrity and was even Cruise Director for a week whilst her boss was off to watch the Rolling Stones that he’d booked way before his ship assignment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Its the journey said:

I completely agree.  I think converting the Royal class may not be super easy though.  Those sanctuarys have no pool (a dedicated pool is a must if they demand a huge premium for the area) and if they take the adult pool away from the main group of passengers, there will be hell to pay.  

It will be interesting to see how well Sun Princess does ...

yes and no. They basically share the retreat pool so they would have 2 options. Make the Sanctuary for Sanctuary only and continue to share the retreat pool, or go one step further (which I do not think they would do) and make the retreat pool Sanctuary only.

As far as dining goes pretty easy to convert one of the mid ship restaurants to Sanctuary, so that would only leave the lounge as an open question.

So far they do not seem to have dialed in on exactly what it will look like on the Sun, let alone any future plans.

Just now, Esprit said:

We introduced our two kids to cruising when they were young too. 
They loved them so much my DD worked up to Activities Manager with Celebrity and was even Cruise Director for a week whilst her boss was off to watch the Rolling Stones that he’d booked way before his ship assignment.

So awesome!  I used to watch the Love Boat and dream of being cruise director like Julie, she always knew what to say and do!

I was obsessed with boats for years after that cruise, I spent hours making Lego boats with the cousin who is now a captain.  Good times!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peder said:

Yup, and I'm booked on their ship-within-a-ship after having been on MSC Yacht Club and DCL Concierge. Definitely a huge change, and I think future ships will be more purpose-built around the ship-within-a-ship and probably even take more space. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more room categories like NCL's family 2-bedroom rooms offered within the Haven. That would align with Princess's multigenerational push.

The "Sanctuary Collection" will be most of Princess's strategic and executional focus for the next few years, but Park19 and other family-friendly amenities will also still be very important.

I do not think that you will see Princess go the NCL or MSC route. Those are very large ship family focused lines.  Just as Royal and Carnival are family focused. Expect Princess to encourage more multigenerational cruising, but not cross over into family focused.

Look at Celebrity which is direct competition with Princess as a primarily adult focused line. What Princess is doing with Sun follows Celebrities first moves in this direction on the Solstice class ships. Do not expect Princess to totally follow Celebrity completely, but move in that direction to some degree.

On 5/13/2024 at 6:22 PM, EDDY0827 said:

Will singing and dancing waiters in the MDR be next?

We used to cruise a lot on Carnival.  Did love the singing waiters and the parade of flaming Baked Alaska. 🤣

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Why not. Irritating old folks often seems to be the favorite game of other old folks as well.

• Haha 5

54 minutes ago, jennybenny said:
1 hour ago, Thrak said:

image.thumb.png.5026f293706c1c94fa1530e3e2ff8730.png

Well, it's official.... a complete redo before it was even used!!

Nice to finally see it officially announced.

Was this from a Princess site or email? Sorry wasn't sure because it's just a screencap

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Hi Dides,

I didn't post it, @Thrak did. 

No idea

I know you didn't - that's why I included both of your posts. But you did say it was official so assumed you were clued up as it were 😄

Edited by dides

9 minutes ago, dides said:

I know you didn't - that's why I included both of your posts. But you did say it was official so assumed you were clued up as it were 😄

No, I was just responding to what he had posted.

It was my reaction to the notification.

Posted (edited)

If you simply Google "princess cruises announcment park 19" you will find a number of videos posted by cruise reviewers, etc. that have this stuff embedded. Here are the first two to pop up. I didn't bother to look further. Yes, these are youtubers but I sincerely doubt that multiple sources will be incorrect. The second video has a longer announcement.

Edited by Thrak