Cabin across from elevator lobby question

Ready to Sail!

We just switched our sailing for next February SA cruise.  There were very few cabins left on starboard which we wanted so not much choice.  We are in 5031.  We do like being near the elevators but usually choose a cabin a few doors away.  From the deckplan it looks like 5031 is directly across from the entry into the ellevators/stairs.  Probably not much we can do if we want to stay on starboard but just curious.  Otherwise, happy to move up and try a PV and a door instead of a slider as we have never had one, only sliders. My husband thinks I worry too much abouth trivial matters and he's right but what can I do? It's me!  Thanks for any input.

8 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We just switched our sailing for next February SA cruise.  There were very few cabins left on starboard which we wanted so not much choice.  We are in 5031.  We do like being near the elevators but usually choose a cabin a few doors away.  From the deckplan it looks like 5031 is directly across from the entry into the ellevators/stairs.  Probably not much we can do if we want to stay on starboard but just curious.  Otherwise, happy to move up and try a PV and a door instead of a slider as we have never had one, only sliders. My husband thinks I worry too much abouth trivial matters and he's right but what can I do? It's me!  Thanks for any input.

What are your options on the port side?   I'm a bit confused as you said you are in 5031, which I don't believe is a slider.  It is across from the elevator which may/may not make a difference.  You say you'd "move up" and try a PV with a door - but isn't that what you have?   We've done 5028 on port side and been just fine (slider).  IMHO on the SA cruise it does not really matter if you are port or starboard.  When there is good viewing (Beagle Channel and more) you will likely be up on top looking anyways.  Much of the time the ships cruise too far from land to really see much.

48 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

What are your options on the port side?   I'm a bit confused as you said you are in 5031, which I don't believe is a slider.  It is across from the elevator which may/may not make a difference.  You say you'd "move up" and try a PV with a door - but isn't that what you have?   We've done 5028 on port side and been just fine (slider).  IMHO on the SA cruise it does not really matter if you are port or starboard.  When there is good viewing (Beagle Channel and more) you will likely be up on top looking anyways.  Much of the time the ships cruise too far from land to really see much.

Sorry, I guess my wording wasn't very clear.  Yes, my understanding is that this cabin has a door, not a slider.  We have never had a door so would like to try.  Choices (very few) on port side are all further forward.  There is only port side cabins left on all decks.  I like the land side to better see approach to the ports when its early in the moring.  No big deal really, and I'm sure location is find. (and yes, I know I can see on TV)  We were in 3041 last cruise which is really close to elevators and no noise issues. When I said we moved up I meant we did when we took 5031, from a DV on deck 3.  

1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Sorry, I guess my wording wasn't very clear.  Yes, my understanding is that this cabin has a door, not a slider.  We have never had a door so would like to try.  Choices (very few) on port side are all further forward.  There is only port side cabins left on all decks.  I like the land side to better see approach to the ports when its early in the moring.  No big deal really, and I'm sure location is find. (and yes, I know I can see on TV)  We were in 3041 last cruise which is really close to elevators and no noise issues. When I said we moved up I meant we did when we took 5031, from a DV on deck 3.  

OK.  We did this cruise on Jupiter a few years ago.  We had a port room.  However, on entering the various ports, we would go topside (Explorer's Lounge or deck 8  )  and were able to see everything from there.  But yes, if you just wish to stay in your room, you might prefer one side over the other.   I personally think you'll be OK in 5031.  You are quick access up to the Explorer's Lounge.  Inside and outside it really was a great place to watch the beautiful scenery.  Expecially if you can get up early to see the Beagle Channel and the Chilean Fjords.

Enjoy!  This cruise was one of our favorites!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

OK.  We did this cruise on Jupiter a few years ago.  We had a port room.  However, on entering the various ports, we would go topside (Explorer's Lounge or deck 8  )  and were able to see everything from there.  But yes, if you just wish to stay in your room, you might prefer one side over the other.   I personally think you'll be OK in 5031.  You are quick access up to the Explorer's Lounge.  Inside and outside it really was a great place to watch the beautiful scenery.  Expecially if you can get up early to see the Beagle Channel and the Chilean Fjords.

Enjoy!  This cruise was one of our favorites!!

I love being up early to look out with dawn on the horizon to see the twinkle of lights as we slowly approach a new destination. Going up to the Explorer’s a good idea. Thanks. 

• Like 1

I was wondering about that also.   We are in 7016 directly in front of deck 7 elevators on Venus doing the circumnavigation of Australia.  Wanted port side due to the land on the port side during the cruise.  

Any noise or "elevator dinging" that could be heard inside the cabin at that location?   Thanks in advance.  🙂 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I was wondering about that also.   We are in 7016 directly in front of deck 7 elevators on Venus doing the circumnavigation of Australia.  Wanted port side due to the land on the port side during the cruise.  

Any noise or "elevator dinging" that could be heard inside the cabin at that location?   Thanks in advance.  🙂 

We stayed in 8013 last Fall which is not unlike your location regarding the elevators and stairs. Absolutely no issues!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

We stayed in 8013 last Fall which is not unlike your location regarding the elevators and stairs. Absolutely no issues!

Thanks!  Looking forward to it!  🙂 

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Looking forward to it!  🙂 

Also, most folks going to and from the Explorer lounge use the corridor on the other side of the elevators - that’s the side with the bar.

2 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Also, most folks going to and from the Explorer lounge use the corridor on the other side of the elevators - that’s the side with the bar.

Thanks again!  That is even better to know.  I thought there would be a lot of foot traffic going through the port side along the deck 7 cabins to get to the lounge.  Nice to know it's the other side that has the traffic.  🙂 

22 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We were in 4030 once right by the elevators.  Did not hear elevators ding nor folks talking.  The only reason my DH did not like it was if people are waiting for elevator, they can see into your room when you open your door.  Didn't bother me.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Well, we really appreciate all the input about this location. But, after a lot of thought decided to go back to a DV on deck 3. Couldn’t get a Starboard but will check often and one may open up. We just decided the PV category wasn’t worth the extra 5K+ to us. We loved being on Deck 3 on our 1st Viking cruise so have moved back to what is familiar and comfortable. We are just back from forward stairs so quick run down one flight and out onto the promenade. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

We were in 4030 once right by the elevators.  Did not hear elevators ding nor folks talking.  The only reason my DH did not like it was if people are waiting for elevator, they can see into your room when you open your door.  Didn't bother me.

I agree with your husband and that was my concern, not noise. 

Not sure about the layout of other deck cabins, but I am not worried about our exposure on deck 7.   The entry into the cabin is basically a narrow hallway with most of the cabin further down and around a sort of corner so to speak.  Limited view for sure.  

On any ship, we have opened the cabin door to other pax and crew members walking by of which could see in if they wanted to.  

It is the noise of the elevator and the foot traffic I was worried about, but am very relieved to hear (thank you @Squawkman) it is not a problem.  🙂 

I will just try not to open the door naked. Oh yeah, that will scare them away!  😱 😄 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Well, we really appreciate all the input about this location. But, after a lot of thought decided to go back to a DV on deck 3. Couldn’t get a Starboard but will check often and one may open up. We just decided the PV category wasn’t worth the extra 5K+ to us. We loved being on Deck 3 on our 1st Viking cruise so have moved back to what is familiar and comfortable. We are just back from forward stairs so quick run down one flight and out onto the promenade. Thanks again. 

We had a DV6 3046 for the first time for an Adriatic cruise and loved the location.  We were near the laundry which I used often since we were traveling for 25 days.  But the best was knowing which way to turn for an elevator.   All we did is look for the Atrium seating area to go to aft elevators for disembarkation, Living Room or restaurants.  For the Spa or Explorers we went the other way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, island lady said:

We have been in 7006 - that deck is very quiet in our experience.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

We had a DV6 3046 for the first time for an Adriatic cruise and loved the location.  We were near the laundry which I used often since we were traveling for 25 days.  But the best was knowing which way to turn for an elevator.   All we did is look for the Atrium seating area to go to aft elevators for disembarkation, Living Room or restaurants.  For the Spa or Explorers we went the other way.

We will be in 3042. Less foot traffic, open sitting area nice to just relax close to “home”. To us best DV deck. On our 1st cruise I accidentally put my cell phone in the washer 1st day leaving Athens. Staff got me a big bag of rice but didn’t work. Good my husband had one to get us through. Senior moment!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

We have been in 7006 - that deck is very quiet in our experience.

Thanks!  We are in 7004 when we transfer to Orion.  I am getting warm fuzzies about being on deck 7.  Thanks again. 🥰

And then in 7006 when we are on Orion out of Hong Kong in 2026.  

Edited by island lady

given the average age of a VO pass' <and no kids> despite having a room adjacent to the elevators I have NEVER been wakened by them ... and I am a VERY light sleeper . . . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2024 at 10:19 AM, CCWineLover said:

What the heck is a “slider”?

23 minutes ago, kahuna21 said:

Some cabins have "Sliding Doors" that exit to the Balcony and some have a "Door on a hinge with a door handle" that exits to the Balcony.   A slider is a "Sliding Door" to the Balcony.  They exist on all DV and V rooms plus exactly one half of the PV rooms.  

Search the forum for Sliding Doors and you will find a number of threads.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, kahuna21 said:

A large window-like door that slides open to,the balcony instead of a “normal” door. Some people like them, some people don’t. Always provides a lovely argument on CC which one is “better”. My opinion, it is a matter of choice.

Edited by janetcbl

Or tiny little burgers.  😉   OK...back to my corner.  😄 

I am in the prefer a sliding balcony door camp.  Though will be interesting on the EX ships with the vertical sliding casement type window (not door).  Nordic balcony.  

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

Or tiny little burgers.  😉   OK...back to my corner.  😄 

I am in the prefer a sliding balcony door camp.  Though will be interesting on the EX ships with the vertical sliding casement type window (not door).  Nordic balcony.  

Nordic Balconies are great!

IMG_4904.thumb.jpeg.e522158e8a3930fe63dbbff5531c7bc9.jpeg

IMG_5212.thumb.jpeg.69dda951d1cb1dd4fb990c98a2ce6a14.jpeg

• Thanks 1