4-5 hours free time in Sydney

Hi All, 

We're disembarking our cruise on Boxing day 26 Dec 2024 in Sydney OPT

We will probably be off the ship 9-9:30am? and our flight doesn't leave Sydney until 5:45pm

Our plan at the moment is to get train / princess shuttle bus to the airport, drop our bags off (check in?), then go from the airport to somewhere for shopping / sightseeing.

Is there any mall / shopping centre close-ish to the Airport? could we go to Birkenhead point factory shops from the Airport?

or is there anywhere else we could easily get to from the Airport?

any advice would be appreciated

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

Hi All, 

We're disembarking our cruise on Boxing day 26 Dec 2024 in Sydney OPT

We will probably be off the ship 9-9:30am? and our flight doesn't leave Sydney until 5:45pm

Our plan at the moment is to get train / princess shuttle bus to the airport, drop our bags off (check in?), then go from the airport to somewhere for shopping / sightseeing.

Is there any mall / shopping centre close-ish to the Airport? could we go to Birkenhead point factory shops from the Airport?

or is there anywhere else we could easily get to from the Airport?

any advice would be appreciated

The cruise line should have a debark tour for airport passengers and give you a tour of Sydney and then drop you off at the airport 

if you don’t want the tour there’s closer places in Sydney to store your luggage for a few hours 

2 minutes ago, rkmw said:

The cruise line should have a debark tour for airport passengers and give you a tour of Sydney and then drop you off at the airport 

if you don’t want the tour there’s closer places in Sydney to store your luggage for a few hours 

Excellent suggestions.

Birkenhead Point is in the opposite direction to the airport and is not easy to get to by public transport. You'd be better to store your bags at Circular Quay / Rocks (there are a few options available there) then use the light rail to go to the Queen Victoria Building stop which is closest to the main shops in Sydney. Then go back to Circular Quay, pick up your bags, and get the train to the airport.

39 minutes ago, rkmw said:

thanks - we've been to Sydney a couple of times before and have seen places like Harbour Bridge, Opera House and Botanical gardens.... but can check what excursions are on offer from Princess

We did look at Bounce? I think it was and I sent them an enquiry asking if they were open Boxing day and didn't heard back

7 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

thanks - we've been to Sydney a couple of times before and have seen places like Harbour Bridge, Opera House and Botanical gardens.... but can check what excursions are on offer from Princess

We did look at Bounce? I think it was and I sent them an enquiry asking if they were open Boxing day and didn't heard back

There’s a bus to Burwood Westfield from the airport,it’s the 420 .

I think you might be a bit early to check your bags.

I would drop my bags at Central station or somewhere and have a look around.

If you into 'shopping' you might be able store your bags somewhere close to Circular Key then catch the tram for a couple of dollars into the city to get some bargains with Boxing Day sales in the stores.

I am quite sure that airlines don't open check-in for individual flights until 3 hours before departures.

Drop bags at the luggage storage at City Extra restaurant at Circular Quay (5 minute walk from the ship).

If shopping is your aim, Westfield Bondi Junction is huge (for Australia) with everything from $2 shops to Ultra-high-end boutiques. 

Direct buses from Circular Quay or 1 change on the train. And the Boxing Day sales will be on!

13 hours ago, buchhalm said:

I am quite sure that airlines don't open check-in for individual flights until 3 hours before departures.

Drop bags at the luggage storage at City Extra restaurant at Circular Quay (5 minute walk from the ship).

If shopping is your aim, Westfield Bondi Junction is huge (for Australia) with everything from $2 shops to Ultra-high-end boutiques. 

Direct buses from Circular Quay or 1 change on the train. And the Boxing Day sales will be on!

FYI. ( and  Muffinz)   The City  Extra restaurant luggage storage  is the Bounce one. Itbis a twenty four hour restaurant so would be open Boxing Day.

On Boxing Day, the shops will be packed with bargain hunters, I would be heading for David Jones in Elizabeth St for a traditional Australian shopping experience

• Like 3

I use Bounce luggage storage at Circular Quay, but I think it may not be open on Boxing Day. Today is Anzac day and their website says they are closed.

There is luggage storage at World Square shopping centre that is open 24/7.  That could work to combine with some shopping. You could catch the light rail there from Circular Quay.

https://sydneystoragelockers.com.au/

Going all the way out to the airport, then coming back into the city seems like a waste of time.

46 minutes ago, yarramar said:

On Boxing Day, the shops will be packed with bargain hunters, I would be heading for David Jones in Elizabeth St for a traditional Australian shopping experience

Going by previous years, the city will be absolutely packed with shoppers. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 12:19 PM, cruiser3775 said:

I use Bounce luggage storage at Circular Quay, but I think it may not be open on Boxing Day. Today is Anzac day and their website says they are closed.

There is luggage storage at World Square shopping centre that is open 24/7.  That could work to combine with some shopping. You could catch the light rail there from Circular Quay.

https://sydneystoragelockers.com.au/

Going all the way out to the airport, then coming back into the city seems like a waste of time.

thanks for that - something to look into

On 4/25/2024 at 11:44 AM, yarramar said:

thanks - we're most likely staying at the Hilton 2 nights pre-cruise and will probably visit David Jones then