Changing dates

We are currently scheduled on Allure May 13, 2024.  My mom has pancreatic cancer and has taken a turn for the worse.  We had booked this a few weeks ago as a mental break for myself after being told she had 6-12 months.  At this point we feel the end is probably near.  My question is, can I pay a fee and switch my dates to a later sailing? (This cruise is for myself, husband and son)  Yes I know about insurance and that I made a choice not to get it.  As you can imagine this is a very difficult time for my family, so I hope people can just answer my question vs tell me I should have bought the insurance.  Thank you in advance for your help.  

8 minutes ago, klb1978 said:

My question is, can I pay a fee and switch my dates to a later sailing?

Very unlikely. You might get a sympathetic CSR when you try to cancel and have them do something for you, but don't expect it.

So sorry for what you and your family are currently going through.  I found the following on the RCCL site.  While I'm not sure the non-refundable deposit fare applies, I am guessing that due to the close proximity of the sailing date it may.  Hope that it helps.

Q

Should I choose to cancel a reservation confirmed under a non-refundable deposit fare, what refunds will apply?

A

Outside of final payment, when a non-refundable deposit cancellation occurs, the full deposit amount will be held in penalty. Any additional payments made will be refunded.

Should you choose to change your original ship and/or sail date, if you booked directly with us, please contact our Consumer Outreach team at (866) 562-7625 where a representative will assist in making the desired changes, while also applying the qualifying change fee(s) and collecting payment, if not already done so.  If you booked via a travel advisor, please contact them for any booking changes.  

Just now, SuzD123 said:

I am guessing that due to the close proximity of the sailing date it may. 

Not only is the OP inside final payment, but they are also inside the 100% loss phase.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not only is the OP inside final payment, but they are also inside the 100% loss phase.

Yeah that’s my guess.  If we have to just not go, it’s ok.  The loss of the money might sting a little, but way less than everything else going on in our lives right now.  We truly thought when we booked that we had time.  We still might.  It’s hard to say right now and I’m just trying to get information in order.  What’s most important is spending time with my mom. 

• Like 4

As @SuzD123 quoted, call them up and see what they can/will do for you. You won't get ANYTHING you don't ask for and MAY be pleasantly surprised if you plead your case.

Having lost a 43 year old co-worker to pancreatic cancer, I know it can be a wild ride. The money you may lose is nothing compared to having time with her.

Hoping for the best all around.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Very sorry for your situation as that is indeed difficult to deal with, complicated by your cruise situation.  At this point, as others have mentioned, I think your only option is to call RCCL and ask to have your situation elevated to a supervisor and see what, if any, options you may have. Unfortunately you are inside the full penalty phase with your booking.  But at least in that manner you will be dealing with someone other than a line rep who may be in a better position to determine if, on an individual basis, anything can be done to preserve at least some the money you have conveyed.  

Edited to add that you don't mention if you booked this directly or through a travel agent, and my response is with the assumption that you booked directly.  If you did use a TA contact them as they would be the ones who would discuss this with RCCL on your behalf.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

9 hours ago, klb1978 said:

Yeah that’s my guess.  If we have to just not go, it’s ok.  The loss of the money might sting a little, but way less than everything else going on in our lives right now.  We truly thought when we booked that we had time.  We still might.  It’s hard to say right now and I’m just trying to get information in order.  What’s most important is spending time with my mom. 

Sorry to hear this, check with your credit card company as you may be covered under that as many cards do have a limited coverage travel component. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 7:22 PM, klb1978 said:

We are currently scheduled on Allure May 13, 2024.  My mom has pancreatic cancer and has taken a turn for the worse.  We had booked this a few weeks ago as a mental break for myself after being told she had 6-12 months.  At this point we feel the end is probably near.  My question is, can I pay a fee and switch my dates to a later sailing? (This cruise is for myself, husband and son)  Yes I know about insurance and that I made a choice not to get it.  As you can imagine this is a very difficult time for my family, so I hope people can just answer my question vs tell me I should have bought the insurance.  Thank you in advance for your help.  

I have felt your pain....literally.  My husband of 52 years died of pancreatic cancer 3 years ago. It's an ugly, ugly disease, and unbearable (but you have to bear it) to watch your loved one go like this.

I found when I contacted RCCL after his passing, explaining the circumstances, they were very considerate. I was offered a refund or Future Cruise Credit. Not in any condition to be planning anything except breathing at the time, I opted for a refund.  My travel agent at the time told me it would be best to contact RCCL directly in this case.

I agree with Ourusualbeach about your credit cards.  They were my next contact after RCCL.

Good luck, and try to focus on the life with her, not the death of her.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1