Wine In Luminae

DaKahuna

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

No idea if it is available by the bottle, I was drinking it by the glass in Luminae so it was covered by the DBP. 

You might note from my live reviews that I take a picture of the bottles of each wine I have. 

Yes, I use Vivino for that.  I haven’t updated it in two years because I get whispers that they’ve made some changes that people don’t like.

On 5/31/2024 at 12:29 PM, quicklabs said:

Mer Soleil is $20 at our grocery store!  $76 is highway robbery!   I was so hoping to enjoy it with my meals on Eclipse, but I won't pay that crazy price. .

Try Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay its not sold onboard but IMO better than Mer Soleil and at the same price point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Try Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay its not sold onboard but IMO better than Mer Soleil and at the same price point. 

I’ve tried “The Cutrer” based on your recommendations for the regular version and it was excellent.  Balanced, not too oaky or too buttery.  It’s one of the best chards I’ve ever had.

Thank you!

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I thought I also had a picture of the Pinot Noir that @NMTraveller mentioned but can't seem to find it.  I know I had a couple of Pinot Noir's in addition to the Cherry Pie as that's usually my go to wine when I have something other than red meat but I am not finding pictures of them for that cruise. 

If someone could find that wine on a menu I would interested and impressed …

21 minutes ago, zitsky said:

The list is nice but so many upcharges.  Still if I see this in 6 months I’ll be happy.  

Just remember that even though they may be on the list, that does not necessarily are in stock onboard. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Just remember that even though they may be on the list, that does not necessarily are in stock onboard. 

I’ve told my story of asking three times for a bottle in Tuscan on Eclipse before they found something they could give me.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I looked for the Far Niente Pinot Noir and I did not see it???

Didn't see it either. Far Niente (EnRoute sub brand) 2022 Northern Spy is $95/bottle from the winery. Not seeing it on Total Wine's national shipping list. That's probably a better version than I've had in the past. Northern Spy is a named vineyard in the Russian River AVA. Probably a little young, but Pinot Noir (other than Grand/Premier Cru from Burgundy) tends to drink well young.

"The 2022 Northern Spy Vineyard Pinot Noir opens with captivating aromas of strawberry shortcake, Rooibos tea, cardamom, and bergamot. The bold palate features lively acidity and stewed red fruit, before leading to a long, lingering finish with notes of strawberry and potpourri."

https://enroutewinery.farniente.com/wines/2022-enroute-northern-spy-vineyard-pinot-noir

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, markeb said:

Didn't see it either. Far Niente (EnRoute sub brand) 2022 Northern Spy is $95/bottle from the winery. Not seeing it on Total Wine's national shipping list. That's probably a better version than I've had in the past. Northern Spy is a named vineyard in the Russian River AVA. Probably a little young, but Pinot Noir (other than Grand/Premier Cru from Burgundy) tends to drink well young.

"The 2022 Northern Spy Vineyard Pinot Noir opens with captivating aromas of strawberry shortcake, Rooibos tea, cardamom, and bergamot. The bold palate features lively acidity and stewed red fruit, before leading to a long, lingering finish with notes of strawberry and potpourri."

https://enroutewinery.farniente.com/wines/2022-enroute-northern-spy-vineyard-pinot-noir

Yep.  It was a holiday wine run ...  Therefore for the reasons you mentioned above I would have been thoroughly impressed if it was on the Celebrity menu.  And it is a smaller vineyard.

Edited by NMTraveller

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Yep.  It was a holiday wine run ...  Therefore for the reasons you mentioned above I would have been thoroughly impressed if it was on the Celebrity menu.  And it is a smaller vineyard.

Ahh...

I thought you'd found it onboard. Try the Penner-Ash or Grand Moraine from Yamhill-Carlton on the ship. By the bottle only, but very nice. The Golden Eye from Anderson Valley is also a very nice Pinot Noir.

At that price range from Willamette Valley in Oregon and Anderson Valley to Russian River in California you tend to get a bit of structure, maybe a bit of tannin, and some nice fruit but it's clearly a Pinot Noir and not a Merlot or Cabernet like you can get with some Central Valley Pinot Noir.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see a few nicer Super Tuscans represented in the Celebrity list in ANY venue.  I was VERY happy with the options presented in the MDR on Silversea - even came up with a new 'affordable' favorite while aboard (Solaia is just a step to high in $/value - have to draw the line somewhere):

20231206_162839.thumb.jpg.5c8b602842743a73f7ee48fd73ba1b31.jpg

Another 5 years or so and this one will be perfect.

Would cellar this one for the long haul, but drinkable now.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, canderson said:

I'd like to see a few nicer Super Tuscans represented in the Celebrity list in ANY venue.  I was VERY happy with the options presented in the MDR on Silversea - even came up with a new 'affordable' favorite while aboard (Solaia is just a step to high in $/value - have to draw the line somewhere):

It must be marked up to $500 on board?  I’ll stick to the $5 bottles from Lodi, California.  🙂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, canderson said:

Weren't you on the limo with us last year on the TA from Rotterdam to Amsterdam? Sorry I forgot your name. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

It must be marked up to $500 on board?  I’ll stick to the $5 bottles from Lodi, California.  🙂

That was kind of my point.  You can carry on some of the best wines in country for less than the Celebrity per bottle price ...  And that is even if they have the wine ...  They won't have the smaller vineyard wines...

I likely will not "try" a $100 bottle marked up to 200 or 300 to see if I like it.  There are plenty of $100 bottles that are drinkable but not special.

Edited by NMTraveller

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

That was kind of my point.  You can carry on some of the best wines in country for less than the Celebrity per bottle price ...  And that is even if they have the wine ...  They won't have the smaller vineyard wines...

We’re flying into Bali before our Millie cruise in January.  Meeting family from Asia.  I know one of them is serious about wine.

BUT the Indonesians are not exactly alcohol friendly and I am trying to figure out the rules for bringing wine in.

We are staying at the Westin Bali which has a few restaurants on site and a few nearby.  So I am trying to get their wine lists to see if it’s worth bringing my own.

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We’re flying into Bali before our Millie cruise in January.  Meeting family from Asia.  I know one of them is serious about wine.

BUT the Indonesians are not exactly alcohol friendly and I am trying to figure out the rules for bringing wine in.

We are staying at the Westin Bali which has a few restaurants on site and a few nearby.  So I am trying to get their wine lists to see if it’s worth bringing my own.

We did not try to purchase wine in Bali.  But in that region they should have some nice Australian wines.  We did purchase a bottle in Singapore.

In Bali we noted that the pricing for alcohol was higher while food prices were lower at the resort...  Did not look at bottle purchase ...

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Not if you're sailing Silversea, it isn't. 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Weren't you on the limo with us last year on the TA from Rotterdam to Amsterdam? Sorry I forgot your name. 

No, sorry.  We did a Lisbon TA on Silversea last Fall.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 6:39 PM, markeb said:

Northern Spy is a named vineyard in the Russian River AVA. Probably a little young, but Pinot Noir (other than Grand/Premier Cru from Burgundy) tends to drink well young.

Regarding the young age of Enroute North Spy,  I tried a different 2019  (older) Pinot Noir from Carneros.  The wine was so smoky that I was looking for the fire extinguisher.  🤣🤣🤣  I did put the Northern Spy bottles in to age,  but I might have to drink them young.  Perfectly fine with that.

I had to apologize to my taste buds for the torture of the older wine 🤣

I like aged cabs,  but not sure about aged pinot noirs ...

Edited by NMTraveller

51 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I had to apologize to my taste buds for the torture of the older wine 🤣

I hope you did that with a nice glass of aged dark rum or bourbon? 

52 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I like aged cabs,  but not sure about aged pinot noirs ..

I have been told that most wines these days were ment to be consumed  young vs aging them.  I go through what's in my wine rack and drink the oldest first, with a couple of exceptions that I am saving for a special occasion. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I hope you did that with a nice glass of aged dark rum or bourbon? 

I have been told that most wines these days were ment to be consumed  young vs aging them.  I go through what's in my wine rack and drink the oldest first, with a couple of exceptions that I am saving for a special occasion. 

Lots of my friends are into wine big time and everyone brings bottles to our monthly poker games and sometimes a older wine goes bad.