Catholic Mass Aboard Celebrity

We will be on the Edge at the end of May and Sunday on the cruise is a port day.  Other than Sunday, there is no Holy Day of Obligation during the cruise.  Will there be a Catholic Mass aboard the ship or should I find a local parish nearby?

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

There will not be a Catholic mass. There may be a nondenominational service, but there will not be a mass.

Thanks.  Actually I should have researched more before I posted.  As I was waiting for a response, our port city Ketchikan has a parish that will meet the ship and shuttle you to Mass and back to the ship.

• Like 5

To the best of my knowledge, only HAL regularly schedules priests on their ships to perform mass. Now, it's possible there will be a priest who is a passenger that might offer it, but that's not a guarantee.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

We will be on the Edge at the end of May and Sunday on the cruise is a port day.  Other than Sunday, there is no Holy Day of Obligation during the cruise.  Will there be a Catholic Mass aboard the ship or should I find a local parish nearby?

I would call and ask.  In the past there have been Catholic Masses but I'm not sure about port days.  We had a very enjoyable pub visit with the onboard Priest during one cruise....he had a GREAT sense of humour.  Saying that, it would be very colourful and interesting to attend Mass in that port IMO.  One cruise we were part of a marriage vow renewal which was well attended.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Thanks.  Actually I should have researched more before I posted.  As I was waiting for a response, our port city Ketchikan has a parish that will meet the ship and shuttle you to Mass and back to the ship.

A very generous offer from the parish to pick you up for mass. We have been lucky twice while on celebrity to have a vacationing priest onboard who said Sunday mass. Kudos to you for making the effort to go to Sunday mass. My wife’s aunt who is a nun says that you can get a “bye” while on vacation although I know that she would never use that bye.

• Like 3

I have been on Celebrity cruises with a Catholic priest aboard.  They are usually retired priests or about to retire.  But there are not as many RC priests anymore.  Locally, the Buffalo diocese  has started the "family parish" system--1 priest serves 3 or 4 parishes.

9 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Yes, we attended mass there in 2021. It was just when cruising had re-started post-covid. Unfortunately the shuttle aka port-to-pew wasn't operating due to an outbreak in Alaska. DH and I walked from port to church. It was a good mile+ and we were shocked to find that Jackson St off of the main drag was nothing but steps! After mass, parishioners offered to bring all cruisers back to the Millennium in their cars. We lucked out as our host was headed to Cape Fox Lodge, where we happily left her and walked down Married Man's trail to port!

13 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

To the best of my knowledge, only HAL regularly schedules priests on their ships to perform mass. Now, it's possible there will be a priest who is a passenger that might offer it, but that's not a guarantee.

The priests are provided by a ministry called the Apostleship of the Seas and are on nearly all HAL cruises..

https://www.aos-usa.org/

The priests are considered to be cruise employees and are provided room and board.  Many serve three to six months at a time.  In general, the perform a Catholic Mass daily, not just on Sundays.  The times vary by day.

• Like 2

I haven't seen a priest on a cruise ship since the pandemic. I understand HAL uses them, especially in Alaska. A Protestant group onboard might try to arrange for a room to hold a Sunday service, but they are led by people who may not be clergy. 

On 4/30/2024 at 4:22 PM, Tom47 said:

I have been on Celebrity cruises with a Catholic priest aboard.  They are usually retired priests or about to retire.  But there are not as many RC priests anymore.  Locally, the Buffalo diocese  has started the "family parish" system--1 priest serves 3 or 4 parishes.

Or their ministry is in academics.  My cousin worked as a high school counselor and did retreat work most of the school year.  For several summers, he worked for one of the Alaskan diocese as vacation relief.  All week long, he would be flown by bush pilot to remote villages.  It was a great way to spend a summer.