A simple query - Whispering Angel

Cjosie

I'm not sure it would, Whispering Angel was included in the Commodore's wine package, and those wines tend to be in excess of $60 per bottle or $15 for a medium glass. I've just had a look at the chart room menu from last year on QE and it looks to be just outside the limit for a small glass

image.thumb.png.b52d7544c4bb502f4c6d439a47806a40.png

• Like 2

Was higher than the drinks package limit on our recent QE cruise in March. Sad as I wanted to try it too and prior to sailing all info I could find said it was just under the limit for the small glass at $13.30 but when we boarded it was only 10 cents over at $13.60. Very stingy of Cunard. Be different if it was 3 or 4 dollars above the package limit but 10 cents is just mingy.

• Like 5

I've followed the price of Whispering Angel in relation to the package limit since 2018. It's never been within the package limit. When they increased small glass sizes from 150ml to 175ml last year, it ensured several would be over the limit.

Having said that, It doesn't bother us much. I sourced a bottle here, it's not common to find it in our local supermarkets and vintners. It was very dry, but didn't really have much flavour. Perhaps it wasn't the best bottle, although it didn't taste off. The Cunard Rosé suits us fine. We drink it for refreshment rather than to pair with good food.

• Like 3

There was a time when Whispering Angel was so popular in our area that it was called "[town name] water."

I think of it as a pleasant light summer wine--picnicy.  A similar wine I slightly prefer is Côte de Roses rosé.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

There was a time when Whispering Angel was so popular in our area that it was called "[town name] water."

I think of it as a pleasant light summer wine--picnicy.  A similar wine I slightly prefer is Côte de Roses rosé.

Is this the one?  3514120107107_1?op_sharpen=1&resmode=bil

If so, we'd probably prefer it as well. Vivino claims it's fractionally less dry, slightly less acidic and has stronger flavour. In France it would sell for about a third of the price of Whispering Angel.

We have thousands of rosés to choose from here and there are many Cote de Provence Cru Class wines much cheaper than W.A.  I get the impression most W.A. goes for export. I only see it here on overpriced restaurant wine lists.

• Like 3

Does anyone know what wines are currently included in the package? I see there are menus on the Cunard site but they mostly list 150ml, which sounds like it is no longer the serving size?

On QM2 with family next weekend for first time and trying to work out what we are getting with the drinks package! 

I'm really sorry but where I live whispering Angel is only drunk by WAGS and CHavs and any decent wine drinker wouldn't be caught dead ordering it, but different horses for different courses I suppose. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I should perhaps point out that Côte de Roses rosé is from the Languedoc region. Cunard's own label wines come from the same area and we find all of them drinkable.

Wine purists might claim that is a region better known for the vast quantity it produces rather than the quality. At home, we wouldn't buy a bottle of wine from there. We'd stick with more upscale wines from Burgundy, Bordeaux and Côte de Provence or Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence. But we do buy lots of three and five litre boxes from the region, which we decant and drink on a daily basis.

The bottles come out for Sunday dinner and special occasions.

• Like 2

Years ago now we were treated to a lovely private river yacht cruise on Le Roy Soleil from Carcassonne to Béziers with plenty of delicious Languedoc wine (mostly with lunch--the big guns came out for dinner).  Yum.  

My husband, among other things, reviews wine, and if he were coming on this TA our winds bill would be significant.  (He'll be at WWI battlefields with our son.).  At the moment I'm planning NOT to buy the drinks package, and just enjoy a gin here and a glass of wine there as the spirit (so to speak) moves me.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tattycoram said:

Years ago now we were treated to a lovely private river yacht cruise on Le Roy Soleil from Carcassonne to Béziers with plenty of delicious Languedoc wine (mostly with lunch--the big guns came out for dinner).  Yum.  

My husband, among other things, reviews wine, and if he were coming on this TA our winds bill would be significant.  (He'll be at WWI battlefields with our son.).  At the moment I'm planning NOT to buy the drinks package, and just enjoy a gin here and a glass of wine there as the spirit (so to speak) moves me.  

Or, as @D&N so delightfully puts it, for refreshment. 😀

• Haha 1

There's a drinks menu for Queen Anne recently posted on another forum which includes this line.

"Whispering Angel, Château d'Esclans, France   $15.50 (175ml)   $21.00 (250ml)"

So, it would appear Whispering Angel is now over the $13.50 limit for the Beers, Wines and Spirits drinks package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You get a 20% discount on the full price of the drink I think

16 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

What happens if you buy something over the package limit? Pay the difference or pay the entire cost of the drink?

By an odd coincidence (or is there some slightly more sinister reason . . . ), this morning I got a message from Cunard about our upcoming TA that lists 150 ml of Whispering Angel at $13.50, which would make it exactly at the limit for the drinks package.  If true.

Cunard's rosé (a blend of Grenache and Syrah), which D&N says is drinkable, is priced at $7.60.  A California white zinfandel is a tad more at $8.  Those are the only three rosés they list by the glass on the Commodore Club's menu.

43 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

You pay the full amount +15% service charge and 20% discount for having the package. 

Not surprised. Other lines do that. At least there's some discount. About a year ago in a rare act of generosity, HAL changed their policy to just paying the extra cost plus service. It results in some odd small amounts when you check your account. 

I never buy the drinks package, but I've had it as part of a booking promo. I remember ordering a small glass of wine at dinner and the waiter asked if I didn't want a large one. I said no, I have the drinks package, so I'm staying under the limit. If I want more, I'll order another small glass. 

In the past the package has covered cocktails I like, and I can find wines under the limit if I stick to small glasses. 

• Like 1

• Host Hattie changed the title to A simple query - Whispering Angel
51 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

By an odd coincidence (or is there some slightly more sinister reason . . . ), this morning I got a message from Cunard about our upcoming TA that lists 150 ml of Whispering Angel at $13.50, which would make it exactly at the limit for the drinks package.  If true.

Cunard's rosé (a blend of Grenache and Syrah), which D&N says is drinkable, is priced at $7.60.  A California white zinfandel is a tad more at $8.  Those are the only three rosés they list by the glass on the Commodore Club's menu.

Rather odd that, since as @D&N mentioned earlier, Cunard have increased the measure for wine to 175ml for the drinks package. That's the measure shown in the Queen Anne drinks menu I found elsewhere where the price for Whispering Angel is listed at $15.50 for 175ml.

From the "A World of Drinks" page on the Cunard website: "Wine will be served in 175ml measures." Perhaps another case where the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing.

The other two rosé wines listed in that Queen Anne drinks menu are as you have mentioned, with these prices.

"Cunard Private Label, Grenache/Syrah, France   $9.00 (175ml)   $12.00 (250ml)

Rosé Zinfadel, The Bulletin, California, USA   $9.50 (175ml)   $13.00 (250ml)"

• Like 2

Cunard perhaps intended to be generous by increasing the small glass size to 175ml.

We were perfectly happy with 150ml. I found that an ideal size to easily control consumption. Six glasses a day of the larger size is like having an extra glass.

At 150ml there was a chance that more wines would have fallen within the package price per drink.

• Like 2

Given the difference in sizes and prices, it sounds as if Cunard's link in the email I got today went to an old menu!

Here's a tangentially related question--but perhaps so tangentially that it belongs somewhere else:

I've been assuming my 16-year-old could join me in the Commodore Club (say) at cocktail time for me and something non-alcoholic for her.  Is that true or are minors not allowed?

3 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

Thanks, King Amo!

I may be well out of date, as it's been ten years since I've been on Cunard, but really hope not. The three of us always like to have a drink and a game of something up there (or the equivalent 'crow's nest' bar on other ships) in the evening. Always feels more cosy and comfortable, and is a destination bar, unlike some on ships that feel like they are just walk throughs. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 12:06 PM, D&N said:

Is this the one?  3514120107107_1?op_sharpen=1&resmode=bil

If so, we'd probably prefer it as well. Vivino claims it's fractionally less dry, slightly less acidic and has stronger flavour. In France it would sell for about a third of the price of Whispering Angel.

We have thousands of rosés to choose from here and there are many Cote de Provence Cru Class wines much cheaper than W.A.  I get the impression most W.A. goes for export. I only see it here on overpriced restaurant wine lists.

I love this bottle and I love the wine too.

WA is just trending now IMO,