Outrageous prices for Freedom

You know what? I'm a teacher. I used to tutor kids, too. I would charge as much as I thought the parents would pay.

Royal Caribbean does the same thing.

:D

(If I had charged even more, I could have started cruising sooner! ;))

If that gives you sticker shock, go look at the prices of the new DCL Magic cruise in the Mediterranean. They want as much as $6,900 per person.

Supply/Demand. My TA has never seen a cruise ship booked up so much this far in advance. And I did book FOS for 2007.

Honestly, most of RC fares are high compared to some other cruiselines. RC can ask their prices because they "Can/Will" deliver a great experience.

Being the first to get anything is always HIGHer ~ I'm willing.. I'm paying....

but I will be entertained, fed, waited one and pampered ~ so I'm HAPPY.

When prices for the Freedom were released in May it started at $699.00 for an inside which is only $100.00 more than what the other Voyager class ships strating price were. Originally I was booked on the Freedom and locked in the early rate of $749.00 for a promenade room, some sailings on other Voyager class ships had promenade rooms priced at $709.00 so I thought this was a very good price for a brand new ship.

When I had to change dates because of work, the prices had gone up by over $200.00 per person! That's when I decided to switch to the Navigator, we are paying the same price for a balcony (with a C&A coupon) that we would have paid for a promenade room on the Freedom.

I would advise if you are interested in sailing the Freedom to book very, very early.I am waiting to book a sailing on a Freedom class ship in the future, most likley it won't be Freedom as we are doing the Western Caribbean this year.I am hoping they have a Freedom class doing the Southern Caribbean, that would be ideal!:)

As you all have stated, prices on Freedom for 2006 and apparantly 2007 is higher than their other ships. Prices on their new ship when they're first out have always been much higher, especially when it's the first ship of a new series as Freedom is.

In my early days of sailing, I went on the maiden voyage of the Legend of the Seas for 12 days thru the Panama Canal and price wasn't too bad. Even back when the Majesty came of the first year after the first 3 months, prices would drop. Then when Voyager (Eagle) class ships came out, you would just have to wait one year, then the next year prices leveled out. Apparantly going to take awhile for Freedom prices to drop.

Again, supply and demand, it's a business and as long as they can filll the Freedom as fast and they apparantly are, they'll stay up.

Similiar situation with their Hawaii cruises. Hadn't been since 1998 and decided it was time to go again. Went into sticker shock when pricing this year's Hawaii cruises, IF you could find a ship which HAD an opening, the prices for lower deck deck inside cabin were very high, much less for a balcony cabin. When I did it in 1998, we were on the Rhapsody and had a suite with a cabin (at that time only the top deck suites had balconies) and the price was very reasonable. Now has become a very popular cruise.

So, just have to shop around and get what you want for the price you want to pay.

C & A called and offered me a free 4 day cruise on Freedom before their maiden voyage because Diamond Plus member. Cause of rising oil prices, air faire to Maimi was going to be around 900 for 2 for me, so declined. Boy the temptation I had to endure. With the high price of flying these days, I book a 7 day cruise. Wished I had lived closer to Miami with THAT phone call. LOL

Dave

When Freedom was first introduced with the website and all, I knew the prices would be high, so to speak. I told my partner that we would have to wait a few years before even thinking about sailing her. The prices will come down and will also allow them to work out any "kinks" she may have or encounter. Just like any other new construction, there will be problems that arrise. We have so many itineraries in our planning book, that this wait will be gone before we know it! With Athens and Rome,Alaska, Hawaii, and Cozumel, we have our hands full for a while. We will experience her, just not right away. Hope all of you who sail her have a great time!!! Andros/Tony

You are all correct. Way overpriced :eek: ...but I booked anyway. It is certainly a stretch for my Dh and I. We are teachers, but we look so forward to our summers and this is the one big thing we do. We did book a smaller than normal room...so I will have to see if it is worth it. Don' really know...but I certainly hope so.

Yes the prices now are outrageous. I booked our October sailing as part of the pre-public offering to C & A members only. My TA thought I was crazy to book that far in advance for a ship that at that time no one knew about, but at the time we got what I thought was a very good deal for an inaugural year ship. I've since booked 3 other cruises for this year and am tempted to cancel the Freedom sailing, but the price I am paying is so good in my opinion that I can't get myself to cancel! We are paying $200 p/p less for an E-1 balcony than an inside cabin is now going for on our sailing! I doubt we will ever sail her again at the current prices, so even though the itinerary stinks, I'm guessing we will take the plunge and enjoy the experience!

Prices are high. And all for the priviledge of staying on a floating city. To each his own I guess.

But I would not be surprised to find that many will elect to only experience this once - and then will be back to the smaller ships. And when this supply/demand reverses, the prices will drop.

If that gives you sticker shock, go look at the prices of the new DCL Magic cruise in the Mediterranean. They want as much as $6,900 per person.

Michelle,

Whats even MORE crazy is that DCL will sell out EVERY SINGLE one of those sailings at that price! As long as people will pay the price, they will continue to up it. No doubt there!

Count me out. I canceled for a number of reasons but cost vs benifit made me cancel.

I also wish they would have done something other than Cozumel and Jamaica.

Glen

I'm with Glen. I told DH last week that we might do the Freedom (if I can get him back on another RCCL cruise after our Fiasco-of-the-Seas-Brilliance disaster last October) in a few years when the hype is off and the prices go down. By then I might even want to go back to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica.

I told him it was disappointing to have such an exciting ship with such a boring itinerary. Some folks might like the Western Carib, but after about 3 times it's not for us.

There were two things preventing me from booking on the Freedom. Actually, it was a combination of the two. The price and the itinerary. I can't possibly do another Western Caribbean Itinerary a third year in a row! ESPECIALLY for the price they are asking! I guess I'll have to wait until the Genesis class comes out, and the Freedom prices are reduced! Besides, by then I might be ready for another Western cruise!

I'm with pcur and Glen.Wait a few years for the hype to wear off.As soon as gargantuan of the seas comes out,the freedom class prices will drop.And hopefully it will do a alternating intinerarie.As much as i like 7 mile beach and things of that nature it's becoming 'been there done that'.I still want to do the radiance class ships,so i'll stick to the smaller ones until the storm blows over.

I would like to book for July of 2007. Hoping the prices drop somewhat by then...but I doubt it. We have to go in the summer so I know we will be paying top dollar.

When does the second ship come out? Maybe that will help offset the price of this one..lol.

I don't know why, I just love new ships.

Anyone know when they will have the July 2007 bookings available?

Thanks.....

Hmmm. We booked our October cruise on Freedom last July, onboard Enchantment. I didn't think the price was bad at all. Maybe it went up a lot since then. Having only done Southern Caribbean, it's all working out pretty well for us. I guess booking early is the key. We're booking our Med cruise for 2007 as soon as they open up. Those prices are skyrocketing with demand also.

I don't have a problem with the price but I do not like the itinerary. I will wait for the second Freedom class ship to enter service as rumor has her taking over the Navigator's itinerary. I like the eastern Caribbean.

RCI or any cruise line for that matter is going to charge what the market will allow.

There were two things preventing me from booking on the Freedom. Actually, it was a combination of the two. The price and the itinerary. I can't possibly do another Western Caribbean Itinerary a third year in a row! ESPECIALLY for the price they are asking! I guess I'll have to wait until the Genesis class comes out, and the Freedom prices are reduced! Besides, by then I might be ready for another Western cruise!

Good reasons not to book, but obviously the price and the itinerary aren't keeping a lot of folks from booking so you can't really blame RCI for charging what the traffic will bear, and if they can fill the ship week after week with a western Caribbean itinerary, why should they do something different?

Expect the first Genesis class ship to do something similar - why gamble with success? Western and Eastern out of Florida, and Southern Caribbean out of San Juan seem to be a successful formula that I don't see changing in the foreseeable future.

On a more positive note, the addition of ships to the fleet has caused the line to add more ports of embarkation and to create new and more intriguing itineraries (just not on their very newest ships). All in all, it works out pretty well giving you a choice of sailing on the newest ships to familiar ports of call, or sailing on slightly older ships to new destinations.:D

as we got an early booking iscount of $300, diamond's $200 for thwe week on D1 verandah, over 55 $200 so we are below $700 PP.

I am sorry to say I am very entertained reading all the gripes about how expense, when Freedom 10/15 was a real bargain as was 5.14 Jewel for 2 weeks, that was $1000 off total. So we are VERY happy booking RCCL.

If you decide you don't want to go, cancel before 70 days before.

When does the second ship come out? Maybe that will help offset the price of this one..lol.

I don't know why, I just love new ships.

Anyone know when they will have the July 2007 bookings available?

Thanks.....

I just read RC's 2005 10K, and it says that a second Freedom class ship is slated for delivery in second quarter 2007, a third in 2Q 2008. I suppose there may be a few months' lag time between "delivery," which I guess means from Akur to RCCL and then availability for passenger bookings? Someone help me out on this? My question is when will they offer reservations on the second Freedom ship if they are on track for a 2007 delivery which is almost one year away.

The 10K also says that the first Genesis class ship will be delivered in the third quarter of 2009 with an "option" on a second order being exerciseable by second quarter 2007 with a 3Q 2010 delivery date.

I'd book the second newer Freedom-class ship for 2007 and forget about its 2006 namesake since we're on it in August. :)

Hello, we booked FOS for Dec 10, 2006 when Crown and Anchor first open the phones. We only paid $940.00 for a balcony and thought that was a very good price. So we can't wait to go. Yes we have done the Western and Eastern a couple of times, but figured we would try the new ship, esp since we have never been on a new ship before.

Macop, I noticed in your comment you said something about over 55 $200. Do you receive anything off because of someone being over 55 yrs young? Reason I'm asking my mother and mother-in-law will be going with DH and I on this cruise and if we can get an extra discount why not at least try.

Michelle,

Whats even MORE crazy is that DCL will sell out EVERY SINGLE one of those sailings at that price! As long as people will pay the price, they will continue to up it. No doubt there!

Exactly. My friends are already set to call on April 4th (first day of booking) and will pay the $6,900 pp.

I think once you sail on Disney and pay $2,300 per person for a category SEVEN, the RCCL prices aren't a shock anymore. :)

I happily booked and paid for the GS on FOS. It is actually costing us less than our last cruise.

What we are paying for our June 18th sailing is $300 more per person than what they are charging now and I felt that we were paying a premium when we booked. Of course, it appears that there are no cabins left for the sailing on the 18th anyway, so I guess that it doesn't matter!!

We booked Freedom because it was a nice class of ship from RCL, that is the reason. The itinerary stinks, yes, to be on a new ship like this was important to us. Booking a year out allowed us to plan and save.

Archived