To Cruise or NOT to Cruise in the Mediterranean? On Oceania of Course!

Last year on November 2023, I did a 10-Day Oceania Mediterranean Cruise on the Riviera.  It was with my wife and best friends.  They had a Penthouse and my wife, and I had a Vista Suite. Last week from April 22 through May 1, 2024; I went back to the Mediterranean with my adult daughter for a ‘father and daughter’ non-cruise vacation.  When we returned, our friends asked,

“Gary, what did you like better our cruise or the non-cruise experience?”

My answer was immediate and clear.  I preferred the Oceania Cruise and that is why I have another Oceania Cruise on the Vista to the Mediterranean for October 2025 with the same friends. Here are some reasons why I like the cruising experience better.

My Age: I am 66 and about to be 67.  I walk daily some days more than others.  However, when you are with a 33-year-old who wants to see everything by foot, when the pain hits, it takes away from the experience.  When I am with my wife and friends, we take it much slower. Age for me matters. The word for the day is “Hop on/Hop off” buses. They are a gift from God.

Appetizer vs Main Course: When I cruised these same areas, we had 10 to 12 hours every day.  A little taste of Rome or Sicily. An appetizer if you will.  When you spend a few days in the same area, it is a Main Course. For whatever reason, even when I dine, I like the Appetizers better than the Main Course. How you ever said, “We should come back to the restaurant and just order a drink and appetizers?  Same kind of feeling for me.  Many will disagree. Personal I guess.

Hotel Room vs. Cruise Cabin: On my trip, I disliked packing and unpacking every other day or so.  The hotel rooms ranged in quality and expense.  I much prefer unpacking once and packing once.  Having some complementary laundry service plus laundry facilities if needed is a plus.  My bed in my cruise staterooms have always been outstanding, especially with Oceania.

Dining: On this one, my daughter taught me some lessons.  I watched many YouTube Video’s on food.  I even put the places on “My Google Maps”.  The one I had a reservation for was nice but not great.  Yet, my daughter used her phone, went to her sources which I think was TikTok and found perfect places, close.  She then looked for the ratings and if it was 4.1 or higher, we went there.  Those were our best meals.  When I cruise, I have found Oceania’s specialty restaurants as good or better than many of the dining I had at the ports. Remember, take me with a “Grain of Salt”. Food is relative to ones tastes.

Excursions: I have learned my lesson.  Hire a tour guide, with a golf cart tour.  Split the cost four ways with the guest going with you.  Save your knees and legs.  Example, my daughter and I hired two Vespa’s with side cars for a three-hour Rome Tour at night.  A Memory for a Lifetime.  Outstanding. I rarely used Cruise Line excursions due to the hassle and expense.  With Oceania, I will use the Excursion Credit given for sure.  I am simply not afraid to hire tour guides on my own.

Stress: A cruise for me is much less stressful.  Once you get on the ship, you have your home base.  It is like a walm blanket for me.  My recent trip had; two high-speed train trips; three flights; and four hotels.  I much prefer simply figuring out how to get from the Port to lets say Florence on a train for a day trip knowing getting back in time is my only stress point. Just me.

Cost/Investment:  It costs more, to do the non-cruise for me.  Remember, I did everything for my daughter’s first class. This was her trip of a lifetime. In retrospect the difference is pretty close.  The real money spent was shopping because, you guessed it, I was with my daughter.  She finds shopping as entertainment when I find sitting at a Paris Café with a glass of red wine and bread for hours as my entertainment.  Let’s say, my American Express Card is going to be a tough one this month.

Conclusion:  For me, not everyone.  I have confirmed cruising is the better choice.  I am glad to have had the time with my daughter though.  She taught me so much about finding great places, how to use the metro, and getting everything possible from a unique experience.  I am so much better suited to take our cruise to some of the same area’s in 2025 on Oceania. Hope this helps some.  Feel free to ask any questions if you like.  Enjoy your day.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Hello and welcome back to CC.  Was wondering why we have not seen any posts here on the Oceania board.

My conclusion based on above, and your prior posts:  Researching your Italy trip!

Thank you for your comparison thoughts.

Nice to hear about, and that you enjoyed your special Father/Daughter trip of a lifetime.  Such a fine way to spend quality time together.  When the Amex bill arrives, you will most likely recall each shopping experience -- joyfully!

Looking forward to your upcoming posts leading up to your November O cruise.

Is your cruise on the May upgrade sale?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I have confirmed cruising is the better choice. 

I'll let you know, in a few months, whether I agree with you. 

The vast majority of our holidays are land based. And, for example, I would never want to forego our annual three week trip in January to Tenerife. And last autumn's return,  since Covid, to Mallorca for a couple of weeks was lovely. We have questioned whether cruising represents value for money for us. So, to try and answer that, in October, we're spending a couple of weeks at a 5* resort in Cyprus. We've picked this place because it seems to replicate the "hotel" side of things on a cruise - fully inclusive, with speciality restaurants, entertainment, etc. And, picking up on the value for money issue, it is about half the price of the cruise (UK to UK), on Vista, that we do have booked for next year. So, if it proves to be as good as we hope, then there is very much the value for money discussion to be had. Effectively, we would have to ask ourselves whether the extra money (approx £5k) is worth it when all that it is effectively paying for is the ship moving us between  different ports. Key, of course, is how good the resort proves to be. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Hello and welcome back to CC.  Was wondering why we have not seen any posts here on the Oceania board.

My conclusion based on above, and your prior posts:  Researching your Italy trip!

Thank you for your comparison thoughts.

Nice to hear about, and that you enjoyed your special Father/Daughter trip of a lifetime.  Such a fine way to spend quality time together.  When the Amex bill arrives, you will most likely recall each shopping experience -- joyfully!

Looking forward to your upcoming posts leading up to your November O cruise.

Is your cruise on the May upgrade sale?

@FetaCheese My next cruise is October 2025, on the Vista.  I booked it while on the Riviera last year.  The current four category upgrade sale is NOT included on this sailing at the present time. I am sure it is because this cruise is so far in advance.  I am hoping that some type of cruise sale will happen however, I was luck to get a good rate on the ship so if that is all it is, I am happy.  

You know me way to well.  I have NO issue with all the shopping.  I bought my Daughter a "High End Purse" which I had budgeted for.  I bought my wife another brand of purse to replace the "Mistake" I made some many years ago.  All the Woman in my life are very happy.  For now at least. "Happy Wife/Daughter, Happy ........."

For those that go to Venice. Please consider going to one of the many glass blowing places.  Take a tour, you get their by water taxi.  I got a set of glasses for my whiskey and tequila their that are a one of a kind.  GREAT experience. 

Thank for asking.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Harters said:

I'll let you know, in a few months, whether I agree with you. 

The vast majority of our holidays are land based. And, for example, I would never want to forego our annual three week trip in January to Tenerife. And last autumn's return,  since Covid, to Mallorca for a couple of weeks was lovely. We have questioned whether cruising represents value for money for us. So, to try and answer that, in October, we're spending a couple of weeks at a 5* resort in Cyprus. We've picked this place because it seems to replicate the "hotel" side of things on a cruise - fully inclusive, with speciality restaurants, entertainment, etc. And, picking up on the value for money issue, it is about half the price of the cruise (UK to UK), on Vista, that we do have booked for next year. So, if it proves to be as good as we hope, then there is very much the value for money discussion to be had. Effectively, we would have to ask ourselves whether the extra money (approx £5k) is worth it when all that it is effectively paying for is the ship moving us between  different ports. Key, of course, is how good the resort proves to be. 

@Harters All your points are well taken.  Nice to have some conversation on both approaches.  Gives other a frame of reference.  Vacation is such a joy for all of us. I much prefer this type of online conversation that those that focus on everything wrong in our world.  Cruise Critic is a very nice distraction for our world sometimes.  Thank you for the comments.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

@Sthrngary ‘Ahhh, the joys of ageing!’

I love your analogy of ‘appetisers and mains’. I think that sums up really well the difference between cruising and land based trips.

So pleased you enjoyed such a special time with your daughter….. can’t put a price  on such times!

BTW I agree Hop-on/ offs are a blessing!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are 6-7 years older than Gary, and just don’t see life as either or. We have taken island and land hopping cruises in the Med and enjoyed them immensely. We did a 12 day Vista cruise last summer hitting multiple ports that a day visit was fine for. That cruise had a 3 day stop in Israel, so we got off the ship and spent the nights in Jerusalem which made the logistics for our tours far simpler.

Leading a Group to Tuscany in September for 15 days. Spending nights in Florence, Greve in Chianti, and Montalcino. Could we just stay at one location and make longer commutes every day? Yes, but those easy pack/unpacks makes the rest of our adventures so much easier. Additionally, like a cruise, every day is not doing wine tastings. I have down days planned for the hot springs, shopping, or just doing nothing. 

We’ve done combo trips of doing Lake Como and the Piedmont/Barolo wine area staying in Monteforte. Etc, etc. 

There are times for cruise ships and times for land trips. We are still physically able to enjoy both. A land trip doesn’t have to be “ pack and unpack every day or every other day “!

Fwiw, We took the granddaughters on vacation last summer. Age 10 &12. They wore grandpa out!! 😂 Much like the 30 year old daughter, they would have worn us out whether on a cruise or land trip. Comparing trips with them vs Elderly friends is like comparing apples to elephants. 🙄

We’ll be eating Italian food while there. Some prefer Americanized Italian while some of us prefer real Italian when we can get it. Our chosen restaurants for lunch and dinner don’t appear to primarily cater to the NoNos. All that is personal preference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Cruise Critic is a very nice distraction for our world sometime

Absolutely. And don't get me wrong - I love cruising. But, if were not for land based holidays, I would never have seen as much of your country as I have over the last four decades. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@pinotlover I don’t think Gary was saying ‘either/or’ I think he was just saying  ‘for him’ cruising is his preferred form of travel.

Fortunately we live in a world with choices. I for one wouldn’t want to live a ‘Stepford’ life!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We have a cruise with a competitor (SS) next February from Singapore to Hong Kong.

First we have a group tour of the Golden Triangle for 12 nights so flying to New Delhi and visiting Agra (Taj Mahal), Jaipur, Ranthambore, Jaipur, Shimla and hiking in the Himalayas. We are travelling between by bus and train then fly to Singapore for 2 nights prior to boarding the Nova. The bit I'm really not looking forward to is the packing and unpacking

I thinking packing cubes will be my friends 😂

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

We are earnestly pondering between a cruise, or a land trip next year. We’ve pretty much done the ‘shop and often ship home’ items enough - but it was fun and we enjoy them, our family enjoys some, and we are good with that piece. 
What a wonderful chapter of memories you created with your daughter…..she will always treasure that time together as well. If you took out the shopping, which was part of the fun, your cost formula might swing a bit in your comparison!  Ha! 
When we are currently discussing land trip ideas, we would target 3 home bases for a two week period - for the same reasons you point out. It was a lot easier to schlep bags on and off trains in the past. Land travel provides such a different experience than cruising….and we sincerely love both…..we’ve tried crunching the numbers on current land travel cost…..I think it can be done in lovely hotels, with various dining and wine experiences, for the same - maybe a little less -than current balcony cruise prices, but the two experiences are so different. Without doubt though, cruise is the easiest from a packing/moving standpoint. 

Harters, your Cyprus trip sounds intriguing. It would be nice to be at an all inclusive and have so much history to explore. Let us know how that is! 

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I have NO issue with all the shopping.  I bought my Daughter a "High End Purse" which I had budgeted for. 

So you're talking thousands of dollars there. Well, that explains the cost. Luckily our daughters haven't cost us a dime since they got married 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, clo said:

So you're talking thousands of dollars there. Well, that explains the cost. Luckily our daughters haven't cost us a dime since they got married 🙂

Nothing much nicer in life than ‘treating’ your grown up children!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, clo said:

Daughters always costs their Daddy money!! 🥰 🥂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Nothing much nicer in life than ‘treating’ your grown up children!

Having your adult children treat you is even nicer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Daughters always costs their Daddy money!! 🥰 🥂

Yep. We gave each of them a set amount of money for their weddings. Nothing since then and they're in their 40s. For Christmas we make donations to the charities of our choice. BTW if we gave them a cruise...well, they would like get crazed...and have to figure out how to say no.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Mine do constantly! But I love to give them gifts … difficult when they, fortunately, have all they need … and probably want.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, clo said:

@clo If and when that happens, I will let everyone know.  All kidding aside, I worked hard, really hard.  So much so, I almost died.  So now, I want to live.  If I can provide what my family calls a "Happy" (a nice present), I am here to do it.  I do it for my wife, Daughter and Son.  One day when I have grand children, I will do it for them.  Life has been good especially after retirement.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Mine do constantly! But I love to give them gifts … difficult when they, fortunately, have all they need … and probably want.

That's why some years ago we went with the charitable donations at Christmas. And each grandchild gets just one gift. When I suggested that one girl said "music to my ears."

We will take them out to eat occasionally.

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

One day when I have grand children, I will do it for them. 

When we had grands we started 529 accounts for each of them. Tidy sums over ten years later.

But regarding travel 🙂 my big issues with cruising - and easily solved - is that you can't really get very far away from the water 🙂 And you don't usually have an over night some place.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, clo said:

First few times that happened it was a very weird feeling.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, clo said:

When we had grands we started 529 accounts for each of them. Tidy sums over ten years later.

But regarding travel 🙂 my big issues with cruising - and easily solved - is that you can't really get very far away from the water 🙂 And you don't usually have an over night some place.

You take one day cruises?  😄  (just kidding.  I know what you meant).  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Last year on November 2023, I did a 10-Day Oceania Mediterranean Cruise on the Riviera.  It was with my wife and best friends.  They had a Penthouse and my wife, and I had a Vista Suite. Last week from April 22 through May 1, 2024; I went back to the Mediterranean with my adult daughter for a ‘father and daughter’ non-cruise vacation.  When we returned, our friends asked,

“Gary, what did you like better our cruise or the non-cruise experience?”

My answer was immediate and clear.  I preferred the Oceania Cruise and that is why I have another Oceania Cruise on the Vista to the Mediterranean for October 2025 with the same friends. Here are some reasons why I like the cruising experience better.

My Age: I am 66 and about to be 67.  I walk daily some days more than others.  However, when you are with a 33-year-old who wants to see everything by foot, when the pain hits, it takes away from the experience.  When I am with my wife and friends, we take it much slower. Age for me matters. The word for the day is “Hop on/Hop off” buses. They are a gift from God.

Appetizer vs Main Course: When I cruised these same areas, we had 10 to 12 hours every day.  A little taste of Rome or Sicily. An appetizer if you will.  When you spend a few days in the same area, it is a Main Course. For whatever reason, even when I dine, I like the Appetizers better than the Main Course. How you ever said, “We should come back to the restaurant and just order a drink and appetizers?  Same kind of feeling for me.  Many will disagree. Personal I guess.

Hotel Room vs. Cruise Cabin: On my trip, I disliked packing and unpacking every other day or so.  The hotel rooms ranged in quality and expense.  I much prefer unpacking once and packing once.  Having some complementary laundry service plus laundry facilities if needed is a plus.  My bed in my cruise staterooms have always been outstanding, especially with Oceania.

Dining: On this one, my daughter taught me some lessons.  I watched many YouTube Video’s on food.  I even put the places on “My Google Maps”.  The one I had a reservation for was nice but not great.  Yet, my daughter used her phone, went to her sources which I think was TikTok and found perfect places, close.  She then looked for the ratings and if it was 4.1 or higher, we went there.  Those were our best meals.  When I cruise, I have found Oceania’s specialty restaurants as good or better than many of the dining I had at the ports. Remember, take me with a “Grain of Salt”. Food is relative to ones tastes.

Excursions: I have learned my lesson.  Hire a tour guide, with a golf cart tour.  Split the cost four ways with the guest going with you.  Save your knees and legs.  Example, my daughter and I hired two Vespa’s with side cars for a three-hour Rome Tour at night.  A Memory for a Lifetime.  Outstanding. I rarely used Cruise Line excursions due to the hassle and expense.  With Oceania, I will use the Excursion Credit given for sure.  I am simply not afraid to hire tour guides on my own.

Stress: A cruise for me is much less stressful.  Once you get on the ship, you have your home base.  It is like a walm blanket for me.  My recent trip had; two high-speed train trips; three flights; and four hotels.  I much prefer simply figuring out how to get from the Port to lets say Florence on a train for a day trip knowing getting back in time is my only stress point. Just me.

Cost/Investment:  It costs more, to do the non-cruise for me.  Remember, I did everything for my daughter’s first class. This was her trip of a lifetime. In retrospect the difference is pretty close.  The real money spent was shopping because, you guessed it, I was with my daughter.  She finds shopping as entertainment when I find sitting at a Paris Café with a glass of red wine and bread for hours as my entertainment.  Let’s say, my American Express Card is going to be a tough one this month.

Conclusion:  For me, not everyone.  I have confirmed cruising is the better choice.  I am glad to have had the time with my daughter though.  She taught me so much about finding great places, how to use the metro, and getting everything possible from a unique experience.  I am so much better suited to take our cruise to some of the same area’s in 2025 on Oceania. Hope this helps some.  Feel free to ask any questions if you like.  Enjoy your day.

I want to apologize to you. I was way too critical and I'll do better. I'm sure you had a great time.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

your Cyprus trip sounds intriguing. It would be nice to be at an all inclusive and have so much history to explore. Let us know how that is! 

Paphos is an area we know well, having had several holidays in the area over the years. Where we're staying is about a 30 minute walk to Cyprus' famous Roman remains and mosaics. We've been round the site before but will certainly be doing so again.

By the by, my partner went to school on the island and recalls one day the school bus had to drive off the road and through some olive groves to avoid an attack by Greek Cypriot terrorists. 

And, on the main road leading into Paphos, there's a war memorial commemorating Cypriot soldiers who were killed during the Turkish invasion in 1974.

So, yes, lots of history over many centuries.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, clo said:

I want to apologize to you. I was way too critical and I'll do better. I'm sure you had a great time.

@clo No, Please.  No apology needed.  NONE.  If I write something, it is to invite comments.  I know that before the first word.  Opinions are like that.  If my feeling are hurt by kind folks like you and other on CruiseCritic.com, I should not post.  So, PLEASE know I was not even taken back by your comment.  I tend to be a developed taste with the way I write.  It has been that way all my life.  Why change now.

• Haha 1