QA Canaries 10 May Comments

exlondoner

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Interesting to find the things they don’t have, presumably because they are still in a warehouse at Southampton. No All-bran, which is quite a common cereal. I thought it might just be QG, and went to look in the Lido this am, but they didn’t have it either. The first night they didn’t have peppermint tea, but subsequently found that, which was good. I know the wines are always a bit random, but they didn’t have a straightforward Aussie Riesling I’ve had a number of times before. On the other hand, Sir Sam’s is probably rife with unicorn steaks.

One good thing from my point of view is that you can still get bar soap.

Missing items could be things still in the hold somewhere, so perhaps the cereal will appear at some time. How daring of you to brave the buffet!!! Any observations to share, or was it only a quick look for the All-bran?

Do they still have the Twinings Assam? And, dare I hope, has the Darjeeling returned?

25 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Missing items could be things still in the hold somewhere, so perhaps the cereal will appear at some time. How daring of you to brave the buffet!!! Any observations to share, or was it only a quick look for the All-bran?

Do they still have the Twinings Assam? And, dare I hope, has the Darjeeling returned?

It took me a while to find the cereals for there were so many counters of fried breakfast, and a nice looking bakery. I just don’t understand why people eat there rather than in the lovely restaurant.

i will check on the teas later on.

• Like 1

I think you need to check your account very carefully. Yesterday we were charged for somebody else’s laundry. Today we have been double charged for room service water package. The room service lady was very rude when I rang to let them know. Clearly still a lot of teething problems to iron out. 

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It took me a while to find the cereals for there were so many counters of fried breakfast, and a nice looking bakery. I just don’t understand why people eat there rather than in the lovely restaurant.

You had me at "nice-looking bakery!" 

I like the restaurant for its peace and quiet if I'm in PG. But, for me, an advantage of the buffet is portion control. I can have a large serving of fruit instead of a few pieces artistically arranged on a plate. The same is true of salads at lunch. I was in PG the last time I was on QE, and I ate breakfast and dinner there, but almost always ate lunch in the buffet because their salad bar was so good. 

• Like 1

Greetings,

As a couple who normally like to go for a walk in the evenings around the Prom Deck could

someone please tell me:

Normal walk with walking stick (snail pace) is it safe - will we be 'run over'

Have there been any accidents due to the limited width of the Prom deck

Many thanks in anticipation..........

(Due on QA on next Cruise - 24 May)

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I hardly enter the buffet. Anyway, here it is called the Artisan’s Food Hall, for some inscrutable reason. Goodness knows why: it’s a buffet.

I had assumed your interest in the pineapple question is on the same basis as my own, mere spirit of intellectual inquiry. 😀

Ah yes, seems the trend these days is to replace the cruise ship buffet with a "food hall". But, it sounds like this is still a buffet in every way but name. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

For me, for breakfast at least, I'm not a big breakfast person. It's mostly just to put something in my belly so I like to get in and get out.

For lunch and dinner, I completely agree so long as the meal experience is nice which was always the case for me on Cunard. Not always with other lines. 

41 minutes ago, englebert said:

Greetings,

As a couple who normally like to go for a walk in the evenings around the Prom Deck could

someone please tell me:

Normal walk with walking stick (snail pace) is it safe - will we be 'run over'

Have there been any accidents due to the limited width of the Prom deck

Many thanks in anticipation..........

(Due on QA on next Cruise - 24 May)

We are on the same cruise as you and also like to ‘promenade’ around the deck. From the videos I’ve seen, the Prom Deck does seem very narrow on Queen Anne and my view is that those who wish to jog will have to accept that they can’t expect everyone to keep ‘pulling in’ for them and will have to wait until it’s wide enough to pass.

I like a sit down meal but frequent the buffet for breakfast and lunch.

The main reasons are selection of items that may not be on the Britannia menu, ability to portion size up or down to my taste, and control of the timing particularly on port days when meeting for an excursion.

14 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I love my new nickname but just to clarify, it was friend who was asking about the pineapples. I am a good boy with no need need for such knowledge 😌

He said to keep checking, they have gotten more discreet with their new found fame. Check for signs in the buffet. Has the pineapple display been rearranged in a southern direction 🤔

The only decoration I have seen is an Australian flag by a cabin door. Could the antipodean implications of this be significant?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Twinnings Assam, Green, English Breakfast, and Earl Grey in the buffet. But no Darjeeling that I could see. Also I have detected Fentiman’s Ginger Beer, so far, but no ginger ale.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

They do have Assam, can't comment on the Darjeeling

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

The only decoration I have seen is an Australian flag by a cabin door. Could the antipodean implications of this be significant?

It is worth keeping an eye on at the very least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TowandaUK said:

I think you need to check your account very carefully. Yesterday we were charged for somebody else’s laundry. Today we have been double charged for room service water package. The room service lady was very rude when I rang to let them know. Clearly still a lot of teething problems to iron out. 

Though I have been mocked by some on here for doing so, I usually check my account every day against my paper receipts. So far all is fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Though I have been mocked by some on here for doing so, I usually check my account every day against my paper receipts. So far all is fine.

We would have been down $39 in 2 days if we hadn’t checked. 

• Like 3

Just now, Selbourne said:

We are on the same cruise as you and also like to ‘promenade’ around the deck. From the videos I’ve seen, the Prom Deck does seem very narrow on Queen Anne and my view is that those who wish to jog will have to accept that they can’t expect everyone to keep ‘pulling in’ for them and will have to wait until it’s wide enough to pass.

Although the promenade deck is narrow in places there is still room for people to pass. I have not heard of any crashes or incidents. Interestingly enough, they request that runners and joggers go in a different direction to folks out for a promenade. People out for a stroll go in the usual direction, and the runners in the opposite. At first I thought this was odd, but then it made sense. You can see the joggers and runners heading towards you and take cover if necessary,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, safarigal said:

Although the promenade deck is narrow in places there is still room for people to pass. I have not heard of any crashes or incidents. Interestingly enough, they request that runners and joggers go in a different direction to folks out for a promenade. People out for a stroll go in the usual direction, and the runners in the opposite. At first I thought this was odd, but then it made sense. You can see the joggers and runners heading towards you and take cover if necessary,

My hubby has just pointed out that I have got things wrong. As it so happens when we have been walking clockwise around the deck the runners and joggers have been going anti clockwise which is why we can see them coming. However, the sign says that people using the promenade deck to exercise (hang on, aren't we all) should go clockwise. So maybe the runners have just chosen to go anti clockwise and were not directed to do so. Anyway, we have not had any issues when we have been out for a stroll, and I haven't heard of any problems, so hopefully it is safe to go our for an evening stroll.

IMG_5797.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see half of cruise critic is on this cruise. So exactly right people to answer questions. 

How does QA compare to the Vistas. 

How is off menu ordering in QG, is it just as flexible as normal. 

How is QG dining room , how have people found the banquette seating. 

I've  heard PG is a nicer room, what do you think. 

What's the speciality dining like, is it good , how easy is it to get into, do you have to book days in advance. 

What is the grills deck like, is the service good

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

It is far safer for runners to go against flow, because as you say you can see them coming. 

Yes, I can see the logic, as long as runners don’t feel that they have priority and everyone else has to stop, move to the side etc. Walkers are in the majority and the runners should run in such a way to avoid them, not the other way around. If they want a completely unhindered running route then I would have thought that the running machines in the gym are a better bet!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, I can see the logic, as long as runners don’t feel that they have priority and everyone else has to stop, move to the side etc. Walkers are in the majority and the runners should run in such a way to avoid them, not the other way around. If they want a completely unhindered running route then I would have thought that the running machines in the gym are a better bet!

It all depends,  yes runners should  give way and clearly not force their way through. On the otherhand, walkers should also consider others, walking 4 abreast at half a mile an hour is equally inconsiderate.

I've  actually never had a problem .  I  don't recall the anti clockwise rule on other ships, things just worked. 

As to running machines , runners and power walkers are just as deserving of fresh air and a sea view as everyone else. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I see half of cruise critic is on this cruise. So exactly right people to answer questions. 

How does QA compare to the Vistas. 
Can’t compare as so different and different isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Too early to tell anything else.

How is off menu ordering in QG, is it just as flexible as normal. 
As normal

How is QG dining room , how have people found the banquette seating. 
I will let ex L answer that as we have a fabulous table

I've  heard PG is a nicer room, what do you think. 
l love the QG restaurant, but the I’m not on a banquette

What's the speciality dining like, is it good , how easy is it to get into, do you have to book days in advance. 

No idea as we won’t be booking but apparently, the venues were all booked last week

What is the grills deck like, is the service good

Again, not used the deck yet due to the cloudy, windy weather but I like the set up

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Mainly agree with Victoria. The Grills Deck is great and might have its own microclimate. We were on a stroll round the ship. First we looked at the wake on deck 9, and it was rather breezy and not particularly warm, then we went up by the lift to the Grills Terrace and walked into a world of warmth and sunshine. 😀

I think the QG is very nice, but the arrangement is dire. I suspect those banquettes may go at the first refit, possibly ripped out in sheer frustration by the M d’H. The really dire space is the Grills Lounge, but if they removed the roof it would make a nice dining courtyard. Then they would have to find somewhere else for the lounge.

In many respects the ship is lovely. We haven’t had very nice weather for the last couple of days, and some indoor spaces seem rather crowded, but that should improve.

V2 and I were among hundreds in a full theatre this morning who attended an excellent lecture by Val MacDermid. However, I shall never enter it again for there are only four exits, and I don’t believe it would be possible for people to get out rapidly, if it filled with smoked, say. I realise it must conform to all regs, but, given the decrepitude of many passengers, it seems decidedly dodgy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to say, we are booked on QA next year, and before embarkation had seriously considered moving the booking to another ship, if we could find something not involving flying. I think we will stick with her, however.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Just to say, we are booked on QA next year, and before embarkation had seriously considered moving the booking to another ship, if we could find something not involving flying. I think we will stick with her, however.

We have quite a few cruises booked on her and whilst she’s not our beloved QV, we wouldn’t dream of cancelling on the showing of the last couple of days. 🙂

Can I take up your ‘decrepitude' comment and link it to my bugbear, namely, the lifts. The engineering team have GOT to sort out the timing of the doors.

I sat waiting for a lift with a chap on sticks who told me he’d missed a lift as it was empty but he couldn’t  get there in time.

Considering the mobility issues onboard, this is NOT good enough Cunard!

• Like 7