New Caledonia locked down.

21 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Sorry I am a bit late with the news updates. Been sick.

Anyway doesn't sound like anything has improved:

Screenshot_20240826_142530_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ea89f4a0f104575c836776a9e4253f06.jpg

Article link here:

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20240815-french-police-kill-another-alleged-gunman-during-clashes-in-new-caledonia

Looks like New Caledonia will be a 'no go' for some time to come. Even if the violence miraculously ceases, the clean up and re-building won't be achieved overnight.

Sorry to hear you have been unwell, btw. Hope it was nothing serious.

Edited by ceeceeDee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Latest news on NC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13859441/Urgent-travel-warning-Aussies-New-Caledonia.html

As I've mentioned before, we are due to go the Noumea, etc in December. As I've also mentioned before, a port visit to New Caledonia is highly unlikely, if not impossible. I won't be bursting into tears over it (been there, done that, didn't buy the t shirt) but I really would like to know what P&O intends to do instead. The cruise is 10 days out of Brisbane, so I guess there would be time to substitute a port (?????) or possibly we'll just cruise aimlessly around. I don't really care, I like sea days, but I also like to know what I'm doing ahead of time. Our itinerary still lists Noumea as a port of call and the silence from P&O is deafening. I assume they'll announce an adjustment at the last gasp, but given the ongoing tensions in Noumea why wait?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Latest news on NC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13859441/Urgent-travel-warning-Aussies-New-Caledonia.html

As I've mentioned before, we are due to go the Noumea, etc in December. As I've also mentioned before, a port visit to New Caledonia is highly unlikely, if not impossible. I won't be bursting into tears over it (been there, done that, didn't buy the t shirt) but I really would like to know what P&O intends to do instead. The cruise is 10 days out of Brisbane, so I guess there would be time to substitute a port (?????) or possibly we'll just cruise aimlessly around. I don't really care, I like sea days, but I also like to know what I'm doing ahead of time. Our itinerary still lists Noumea as a port of call and the silence from P&O is deafening. I assume they'll announce an adjustment at the last gasp, but given the ongoing tensions in Noumea why wait?

I'll check With Princess as we are booked for an 11 day trip on the 3rd December, out of Sydney, which includes Noumea and Lifou.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

One of the cruise lines has ruled out New Caledonia till next October, but hasn't told their passengers yet. 6 weeks notice seems to be about the norm.

Thanks, Geoff. I had visions of being told once on board.🙄 Maybe they wait until after the final payment due date. Wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Thanks, Geoff. I had visions of being told once on board.🙄 Maybe they wait until after the final payment due date. Wouldn't surprise me.

Us cynical cruisers. Final payment eh? That would make it hard to cancel now, wouldn't it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would cancel a cruise because they cancelled New Caledonia. I guess if it was a short itinerary and the replacement was "sea days" it would be quite disappointing. For us New Caledonia is simply part of a much longer itinerary and we were indifferent as to whether we would leave the ship at all. I guess we will find out in January maybe what will happen there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, arxcards said:

Us cynical cruisers. Final payment eh? That would make it hard to cancel now, wouldn't it.

Yes, maybe we should start a thread 'Cynics R'us'. 🤔 Surely the cruise lines realise that most, if not all, cruisers are aware of the situation in New Caledonia so why not advise a change of itinerary.  Why treat us like mushrooms? To be honest, the thought of cancelling due to not visiting Noumea didn't even get headspace. I'm not the least disappointed. As I said, I would just like to know what we will be doing instead. If it means a couple of extra sea days, I wouldn't be cancelling over that either. Will be interesting to see if my speculation re a post final payment date announcement comes to fruition in two weeks time. Watch this space.....😂

8 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Yes, maybe we should start a thread 'Cynics R'us'. 🤔 Surely the cruise lines realise that most, if not all, cruisers are aware of the situation in New Caledonia so why not advise a change of itinerary.  Why treat us like mushrooms? To be honest, the thought of cancelling due to not visiting Noumea didn't even get headspace. I'm not the least disappointed. As I said, I would just like to know what we will be doing instead. If it means a couple of extra sea days, I wouldn't be cancelling over that either. Will be interesting to see if my speculation re a post final payment date announcement comes to fruition in two weeks time. Watch this space.....😂

Give it a few extra weeks. They have to be seen to be doing all they can to try to give you the itinerary you booked. 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Give it a few extra weeks. They have to be seen to be doing all they can to try to give you the itinerary you booked. 🤣

Ah, Geoff, you cynic you! 😆 You're absolutely right - all smoke and mirrors 😂 As soon as I hear anything (if?) I'll let you all know. All up for speculation, but I'm betting it'll just end up being extra sea days. Anyone care to throw their hat into the ring on that one?🙂

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Ah, Geoff, you cynic you! 😆 You're absolutely right - all smoke and mirrors 😂 As soon as I hear anything (if?) I'll let you all know. All up for speculation, but I'm betting it'll just end up being extra sea days. Anyone care to throw their hat into the ring on that one?🙂

Do you like Luganville?

10 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Do you like Luganville?

Never been there, but it is already part of the Santo itinerary for our cruise. There's a Luganville Highlights shore tour advertised. Haven't really decided on our shore tours yet, with the exception of horse riding in Vila, which we always do without fail.

So ports currently listed:

Santo, Vila, Mystery, Noumea, Lifou

Edited by ceeceeDee

Before our first visit to Luganville I asked here on CC what we should do. The answer came "Stay on the ship". When we went ashore I could see why this comment came. My advice for Luganville is to go on a tour. There is nothing to see and do in town.

• Like 2

Latest update on Smartraveller website further suggests no visits there for some time:

We continue to advise reconsider your need to travel to New Caledonia due to ongoing civil unrest and travel disruptions. Political tensions and unrest may increase at short notice.

There’s an increased police and security presence. Demonstrations and protests may increase leading up to a national public holiday on 24 September. Between 21 – 24 September, the nationwide curfew will be in place nightly between 6pm – 6am. Currently, the nationwide curfew is between 10pm and 5am. The Consulate-General in Noumea will be closed on 24 September. 

Expect for any scheduled ship visits there to be cancelled. Maybe it will be another year ie the 25-26 cruise season before ships will be able to go there, if even then??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Before our first visit to Luganville I asked here on CC what we should do. The answer came "Stay on the ship". When we went ashore I could see why this comment came. My advice for Luganville is to go on a tour. There is nothing to see and do in town.

Thanks, AT. I've heard that before. I'll look into what tours (apart from the one I mentioned) are on offer. We may decide to stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet. 😄

33 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Never been there, but it is already part of the Santo itinerary for our cruise. There's a Luganville Highlights shore tour advertised. Haven't really decided on our shore tours yet, with the exception of horse riding in Vila, which we always do without fail.

So ports currently listed:

Santo, Vila, Mystery, Noumea, Lifou

Yes, Santo = Luganville. Espiritu Santo is the Island, Luganville is the main port. There is also Champagne Bay, but you have got buckleys of tendering there. It would make for a nice little tour if you haven't been there, together with the blue hole.

I can't hazard a guess for your replacements for Noumea & Lifou.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Yes, Santo = Luganville. Espiritu Santo is the Island, Luganville is the main port. There is also Champagne Bay, but you have got buckleys of tendering there. It would make for a nice little tour if you haven't been there, together with the blue hole.

Thanks, Geoff. It would appear at this stage that P&O aren't hazarding any guesses either. 😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

Just prior to the big lock down I found myself in Luganville on a magical mystery cruise when ports were shutting down and cruise ships were banned.  I was delighted because Melbourne ships seldom get that far north.  I did the tour of the military sites and found the people there to be delightful.  I would love to go back there.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

We tendered into Champagne Bay on the Pacific Dawn back in 2008.. We also visited Pentecost Island. Now that's an island you don't hear of any more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

Just prior to the big lock down I found myself in Luganville on a magical mystery cruise when ports were shutting down and cruise ships were banned.  I was delighted because Melbourne ships seldom get that far north.  I did the tour of the military sites and found the people there to be delightful.  I would love to go back there.

Also for those that scuba or snorkel, million dollar point is not far from the port.

I'm waiting to hear from Celebrity what their plans for the Jan 2nd Pacific Islands cruise are. There are already plenty of sea days and several stops in Fiji...

Edited by buchhalm

29 minutes ago, cruiselover53 said:

We tendered into Champagne Bay on the Pacific Dawn back in 2008.. We also visited Pentecost Island. Now that's an island you don't hear of any more

Partly due to the size of the ships and the lack of tendering amenity. It was barely doable with Sun/Dawn/Sea Princess and Pacific Dawn/Jewel. Some people cruising to Pentacost were also complaining about the tower diving, which was the main reason for the visit. Wala is another stop they could use, but I don't know if their tender jetty is still useable. 

It is a shame that the jetties can't be maintained, as there is a lot of dollars worth of passengers using them on each visit.