Celebrity removes loungers from balcony?

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly.  If there were so many of these supposed incidents the Cruise Critic boards would be blowing up. And let's say it's true. 50 incidents out of hundreds of thousands of passengers?! Come on. Why should we all have to suffer. 

Same loungers are on the pool

deck. Are those being removed as well? 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 4:25 PM, AC Stew said:

Tiny update, direct from Executive Office customer service individual: 

I was just informed that the decision was made at the highest level, the new CEO and her inner circle. Comments made to the phone number below are being passed onto that upper level  management team.

I also pressed for a firm answer as to what furniture would be placed on the balcony. Answer? The Kelly Hoppen miserably uncomfortable little half back chairs. I reiterated that there's a couple of months before final payment, and I would not accept those chairs under any circumstances. The fellow I spoke to (Mantana?) stated that all emails and phone conversations are being compiled and then passed on to upper management.

So, I'm not quite ready to stop beating that poor horse. It's not dead (YET)! There are 7 folks answering the phones at the number below. They are well aware of this issue, and the fact that we're not buying an unexplained "safety" excuse. Call them! 

Executive Office: (305) 614-1343

PS> I also added that if passenger misbehavior or lounger misuse is responsible for this matter, let them look at their deck cameras and punish the abusers. Ship Security would know who they were!

And this CEO and her inner circle …when they go on that Presidents cruise, will they be just laying out towels on the floor of their balcony to lay on or will she magically have furniture appropriate for her suite balcony space? Maybe they need to pay without their company discount for this cruise and then get benefit upon benefit reduced. Make her pay for cookies, let her sit on one of those uncomfortable balcony chairs in the smoking section, and live a day in the life of her recent silly changes they’ve been trying to implement.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

And this CEO and her inner circle …when they go on that Presidents cruise, will they be just laying out towels on the floor of their balcony to lay on or will she magically have furniture appropriate for her suite balcony space? Maybe they need to pay without their company discount for this cruise and then get benefit upon benefit reduced. Make her pay for cookies, let her sit on one of those uncomfortable balcony chairs in the smoking section, and live a day in the life of her recent silly changes they’ve been trying to implement.  

more importantly for any one on the cruise ask her about it in public

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mickeysgal said:

Same loungers are on the pool

deck. Are those being removed as well? 

I asked that same question about five pages back. Are we not just going in circles now 😁?  The only way to move the issue forward is for more people to complain directly to Celebrity rather than on CC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My guess is that given the size of the balcony people were using the lounger as something to walk on instead of moving out of the way. Probably would make X nervous with someone falling over(board). Not a problem with a larger balcony such as a suite 

35 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I asked that same question about five pages back. Are we not just going in circles now 😁?  The only way to move the issue forward is for more people to complain directly to Celebrity rather than on CC.

Sorry 480 comments- I can’t remember them all. But yes, it’s a call to Celebrity that is needed and will be done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobpell54 said:

An email address to voice my concerns please

Bob

CelebrityEngagementCenter@celebrity.com 

cec@celebrity.com

Lhodges-bethge@celebrity.com (I used this one recently and rec'd a callback in 3 days...You won't speak with her directly, but someone from the Exec Office returned my call)

Thanks Oceangoer2

I sent this email to Lhodges-bethge@celebrity.com and my TA just now

It has come to my attention that Celebrity Cruise Lines has a new policy of removal of all chaise Loungers from balconies.

I have always had chaise loungers on 25 cruises on HAL and Princess, your competitors.

I will have spent $23,000 on an upcoming Trans Atlantic on Celebrity and if forced to sit on a non reclining chair I will seriously reconsider my choice. (my reservation ID)

If true this decision must be rescinded or your competitors will be greatly rewarded

My signature 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobpell54 said:

Thanks Oceangoer2

I sent this email to Lhodges-bethge@celebrity.com and my TA just now

It has come to my attention that Celebrity Cruise Lines has a new policy of removal of all chaise Loungers from balconies.

I have always had chaise loungers on 25 cruises on HAL and Princess, your competitors.

I will have spent $23,000 on an upcoming Trans Atlantic on Celebrity and if forced to sit on a non reclining chair I will seriously reconsider my choice. (my reservation ID)

If true this decision must be rescinded or your competitors will be greatly rewarded

My signature 

What cabin are you getting for$23,000? How many days is that cruise? 

Happy Sailing 

18 hours ago, tfred said:

My guess is that given the size of the balcony people were using the lounger as something to walk on instead of moving out of the way. Probably would make X nervous with someone falling over(board). Not a problem with a larger balcony such as a suite 

Thank-you; any thoughtful input is always welcome to the conversation. However, in this case, the staterooms that we're talking about here, all have incredibly large balconies. An SV balcony (Millenium Class) is darned near as big as the cabin itself! Walkable space is not the issue.

7 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

Thank-you; any thoughtful input is always welcome to the conversation. However, in this case, the staterooms that we're talking about here, all have incredibly large balconies. An SV balcony (Millenium Class) is darned near as big as the cabin itself! Walkable space is not the issue.

This is exactly what I have booked next year and I talked friends of mine into the same cabin next to ours.  Because of the size, because of the loungers.  They don't even know about this change yet.  They won't be happy either.  

21 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Please be sure to ask Laura to tell you how many loungers she has on the verandah of her iconic suite.  I would do everything possible to get that question in.  Maybe many guests trying to bring a lounger from the pool area to where she gives her talk would send a very strong message.  Just a thought…..

The iconic suite on the Apex had day beds and high end patio type furniture, no "loungers" like on the other balconies. But the plastic hot tub is very very slick and easy to slip on as is the marble floor in the iconic master shower. Danger! Danger! (and weird decorative pots glued to niches in the shower wall that catch water and are unable to be emptied!)

Having done a TA, I can’t begin to imagine it w/o a lounger (if you’ve paid for a cabin class that includes loungers). We sat there for hours on end watching the waves go by, reading our books, sipping our drinks.  Pure bliss.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

Having done a TA, I can’t begin to imagine it w/o a lounger (if you’ve paid for a cabin class that includes loungers). We sat there for hours on end watching the waves go by, reading our books, sipping our drinks.  Pure bliss.  

I feel for the people who love them.  I primarily only do TA’s and I have never used a lounger.

29 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

image.thumb.png.696b4bbe291a8d7e270c81b7f017621e.png

I was considering taking something like this which would be easy to get on a plane without additional fees.  

We'd considered those inflatable loungers as well as I believe you don't need a pump to inflate them.  The ones we looked at only weigh 600 gm, so easily transported. 

Just wondered though, if we'd get a knock on the door from security, (apparently there's security cameras onto the balconies), as I guess they could be a liability if the wind caught them and they blew overboard. You probably wouldn't be able to leave them unattended.

• Like 1

I'm wondering how many documented incidences they've had of people slipping and falling in those godawful tubs in the S and M class Sky Suites?  I've taken to bringing my own shower mat as they refused to supply one, also due to "safety issues".  Hmmmm.  Am I safer with no shower mat and a slippery tub in rocking and rolling seas, or am I safer if I have a mat (or better yet - no darn tub at all!).  E class tubs are better but I suspect over time they will become slippery as well.  

Something just smells funny about this whole situation.  There definitely has to be some kind of lawsuit involved, which would explain why they can't divulge details of this crazy decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

We'd considered those inflatable loungers as well as I believe you don't need a pump to inflate them.  The ones we looked at only weigh 600 gm, so easily transported. 

Just wondered though, if we'd get a knock on the door from security, (apparently there's security cameras onto the balconies), as I guess they could be a liability if the wind caught them and they blew overboard. You probably wouldn't be able to leave them unattended.

you would have to deflate them (or move them into the cabin) every time you left the balcony which would be a real pain.

14 hours ago, Liao said:

I feel for the people who love them.  I primarily only do TA’s and I have never used a lounger.

15 hours ago, ggo85 said:

so we we - however we have always had chairs with high backs that recline and footstools (we book standard balcony cabins). The new chairs are all low backed with no neck or back supports.

43 minutes ago, the penguins said:

so we we - however we have always had chairs with high backs that recline and footstools (we book standard balcony cabins). The new chairs are all low backed with no neck or back supports.

And terribly uncomfortable for anyone taller than 5 foot.  Ridiculous

• Like 3

On 6/12/2024 at 3:02 PM, AC Stew said:

** Another point that the Executive Office person divulged yesterday. He stated that "there were 50 documented/ known safety incidents regarding the loungers." Hmnnn ... if so, then they certainly know the who/what/why! Cameras? Again, they should address the "violations" with the specific violators. Tell the rest of us what the safety concerns are, and we won't cross the line.

I really wish companies and governments would stop pandering to morons. 

"You hurt yourself on a deck chair, you're an idiot, absolutely zero chance we are going to apologise or give you any compensation, you can tell your "lawyer" he's wasting his time."

If millions of people are fully capable of using a deck chair without seriously injuring themselves, why penalise the 99.999999% of people for the 50 idiots who are incapable! Natural selection!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, asctony said:

How about these?

Happy lounging. Keep safe and don't throw them overboard or jump overboard. It is a safety hazard.

I'd rather have this type, but I don't think that will fit in my luggage.  Hence the blowup type.  Since the IVs close now, I shouldn't have to deflate.