Ocean Cay reopening?

18 hours ago, Notch8 said:

You’ll have a great time here.  Except for the buffet.  Unless you’re Yacht Club!  🙂

Jim

We are.   But the island menu offered doesn’t appeal to me so it’ll probably be the buffet. 🙈

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dmc94 said:

It's our first time and we have YC. Should we eat there for lunch? Do they serve breakfast or dinner too? I heard the YC beaches weren't great. 

I’m not in Yacht Club so can’t comment on whether you should or shouldn’t.  Reports I hear are the Yacht Club lunch is excellent.

As for beaches, it really depends on what you want to do.  We wanted to see fish while snorkeling.  Bimini Beach didn’t disappoint… if you snorkel near the rocks.

1 minute ago, Notch8 said:

I’m not in Yacht Club so can’t comment on whether you should or shouldn’t.  Reports I hear are the Yacht Club lunch is excellent.

As for beaches, it really depends on what you want to do.  We wanted to see fish while snorkeling.  Bimini Beach didn’t disappoint… if you snorkel near the rocks.

Thanks. Snorkeling equipment is extra right?

If anyone happens to see if they're offing scuba diving excursions yet I would be grateful of a mention in this thread :).   I know the scuba shed is up, and it was supposed to be on the horizon but I can't find anything.   We sail in a month'ish

31 minutes ago, dmc94 said:

It's our first time and we have YC. Should we eat there for lunch? Do they serve breakfast or dinner too? I heard the YC beaches weren't great. 

If you are in the YC, why eat in the Market Place Buffet ? MPB is a zoo embarkation day and every sea day as well. Enjoy the sublime YC Restaurant always open for 3 meals except lunch on Ocean Cay day or the OnePool Deck buffet every day for lunch or breakfast. Unless I misunderstood your post. Also OC Day  and embarkation day Hola Taco is open "all you can eat" $18 pp. if you miss lunch hours in YC. (I still would not venture into the MPB at noon except maybe Ocean Cay day with most on the island).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

If anyone happens to see if they're offing scuba diving excursions yet I would be grateful of a mention in this thread :).   I know the scuba shed is up, and it was supposed to be on the horizon but I can't find anything.   We sail in a month'ish

check your planner.

I will be there June 3 and 4th.  I can post any info as I'm going to review it.

2 minutes ago, dmc94 said:

Thanks. Snorkeling equipment is extra right?

Yes.  That’s why we brought our own.

May be included for Yacht Club though.  Not sure.

Jim

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

If you are in the YC, why eat in the Market Place Buffet ? MPB is a zoo embarkation day and every sea day as well. Enjoy the sublime YC Restaurant always open for 3 meals except lunch on Ocean Cay day or the OnePool Deck buffet every day for lunch or breakfast. Unless I misunderstood your post. Also OC Day  and embarkation day Hola Taco is open "all you can eat" $18 pp. if you miss lunch hours in YC. (I still would not venture into the MPB at noon except maybe Ocean Cay day with most on the island).

I'm talking about Ocean Cay. My wife is vegetarian and the YC OC restaurant didn't look to have any options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I answered the question @dmc94 asked assuming the reference was regarding Ocean Cay lunch, not the ship lunch.  Apologies if I misunderstood.

19 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

check your planner.

I will be there June 3 and 4th.  I can post any info as I'm going to review it.

Ya - nothing in the planner - but I've also learned to not trust the tech when offerings are new or expanded.   Especially cruise-line tech.   Thanks in advance for any updates of note

3 minutes ago, dmc94 said:

I'm talking about Ocean Cay. My wife is vegetarian and the YC OC restaurant didn't look to have any options. 

In that case, just let the maitre d' know or the chef of the YC and they will prepare for her a special meal that will be ready for her at Ocean House.

Just now, morpheusofthesea said:

In that case, just let the maitre d' know or the chef of the YC and they will prepare for her a special meal that will be ready for her at Ocean House.

Oh that's perfect. Thank you very much. 

23 hours ago, RichYak said:

This video doesn't show the ship rotating, just sailing through the channel towards the dock. Are you saying it rotates 180 degrees AFTER this video?

DW and I were on the Seascape in February.  The captain backed the ship thru the channel.  Didn't use the turning basin.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, dmc94 said:

Oh that's perfect. Thank you very much. 

If you can, get to the Ocean House early and get a table on the veranda next to the ocean. They will start lunch at around 11:30 am because  of the limited seating. As of my last count (8/23)  there were 6 sofas on the veranda with 15 tables and 68 chairs, 36 plastic lawn tables with 4 chairs each and 4 (last cruise 3) tables inside the airconditioned Ocean House. I figured this allows about 168 guests at one time. We had 330 guests on our cruise, with 44 friends and family outside the YC with full access to YC venues, and then there are those in the YC that sneak their friends and family in as well. The lunch at OH can be a highlight of the cruise, it can also be a distressing situation with your fellow YCers hovering around waiting for your table.

The gentleman in the red shirt got here really early and got the most pristine table on the veranda.

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_1793.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

IMG_1796.jpeg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dmc94 said:

"Oh that's perfect. Thank you very much."

No later than one day before the stop at OC. Also, let you butler in on the plan because most of the YC staff will be working the YC portion of the island. Your butler's island assignment may place him or her in a position to look out for your dietary interests. 😉

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ajoneen said:

@Notch8 were the Food Truck gone?? 

They’re still there in a few places.  Comparing an old map with the current one, it looks like one or two moved though.

You should definitely eat lunch at the Yacht club restaurant!!  Best lobster roll I've ever had and we are from Maine.  As long as you wear beach shoes the Yacht club beach is great too.  They bring drinks right to your beach chair 🙂 with plenty of umbrella's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Good morning Ocean Cay from MSC Seascape

IMG_9108.thumb.jpeg.cbb3aec2f7ea5742f8647aaf32de8d17.jpeg

Now, perhaps, maybe, perchance, conceivably, for all one knows, we might now get some idea of the changes that await us at Ocean Cay through your eyes ?

18 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Now, perhaps, maybe, perchance, conceivably, for all one knows, we might now get some idea of the changes that await us at Ocean Cay through your eyes ?

Not having been here before, I’m afraid I will be totally unaware of the changes, M.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The lunch at OH can be a highlight of the cruise, it can also be a distressing situation with your fellow YCers hovering around waiting for your table.

I have been to Ocean Cay many times.  At least 10 times in the YC and full ships and I have never had people hovering around the tables waiting.  People wait at the front of Ocean House were the host is.   You seem to be fixated on the Interlopers as you call them.  We rarely have ever experienced this the way you say it happens.  

I read so many of your reviews and I sometimes think we are on different ships.  

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, GPPhilly said:

with your fellow YCers hovering around waiting for your table.

Yes. Waiting outside in a line while looking at everyone on the lawn  or the terrace with their eyes affixed upon you eating is not a nice experience. You appear to be "fixated", like many, on my choice of  words. I try to spice it up a bit. It gets more response, like yours. Thanks for posting.

P.S. "Nothing spoils a good story more than the arrival of an eyewitness" Mark Twain

ps
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, GPPhilly said:

You seem to be fixated on the Interlopers

Yes, I forgot about them also trying to crash Ocean House.

P.S. You reminded me of another quote by Rousseau "There are always four sides to a story; your side, their side, the truth, and what really happened."

ps
  • Like 2