Ocean Cay reopening?

12 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just be aware of a remote possibility.

https://travelnoire.com/popular-island-flesh-eating-bacteria

Yep.  Have done it 2x.  It's what she really wants to do as well as wave runner and turtles.  It's my youngest of 5 kids and a college graduation present.  

I am not a fan of the whole pig experience.  I

11 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Here the ship is docked with port side getting the island/lighthouse view. Compared with Starboardside photo

PORTLEFT.jpg

309148141_10221649620444914_7682807996937788300_n.jpg

Oh wow, don't see it docked this way often. 

Posted (edited)

I’d wondered if Seascape was due to be the first to visit (after the scheduled reopening, 2 days later).  Interesting that Meraviglia is the one to be.   It was also scheduled to be the first to visit when the island first opened, but the works hadn’t been completed (we were on that sailing 😌)

Wouldn’t surprise me if Nassau will be the substitute call if the opening is delayed.  I imagine that the captain won’t announce a change (if necessary) til the last minute. 

Edited by Beamafar

Has MSC ever had anything open on schedule?  Ocean Cay was delayed at least a year and their new terminal is way behind original schedule.  Relax and enjoy your cruise as missing a port is part of cruising>

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CarolnLarry said:

Has MSC ever had anything open on schedule?  Ocean Cay was delayed at least a year and their new terminal is way behind original schedule.  Relax and enjoy your cruise as missing a port is part of cruising>

For those of us who cruise for the ports, missing a 36 hr stay at a port for a 4 day cruise may not be as relaxing as one who just likes to stay on ship.  One can play bingo and stare at the horizon for so long.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, jean87510 said:

For those of us who cruise for the ports, missing a 36 hr stay at a port for a 4 day cruise may not be as relaxing as one who just likes to stay on ship.  One can play bingo and stare at the horizon for so long.  

With Ocean Cay, even when open, there’s no guarantee you’ll make the island if the weather isn’t playing nice. (I guess you can say that about any port).  Unfortunately that’s the risk you take when cruising. 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2024 at 5:36 PM, marktwothousand said:

I’m surprised I haven’t seen a recent thread on the reopening. Can anyone on board in the next week or two confirm that Ocean Cay is actually open again?

also on an unrelated topic, does anyone know which side I have to be on to view the lighthouse from a balcony cabin on board?

You want to be on the STARBOARD side of the ship.  They aim the bow towards the lighthouse when they dock.

5 minutes ago, jamon said:

what date is msc saying the first stop at ocean cay will happen??????

The Meraviglia is scheduled to be there this Thursday 5/23 and is the first ship scheduled. 

2 hours ago, jamon said:

what date is msc saying the first stop at ocean cay will happen??????

Cruisetimetables says Meraviglia should be there May 23, Seascape May 24.  EM

16 hours ago, Beamafar said:

With Ocean Cay, even when open, there’s no guarantee you’ll make the island if the weather isn’t playing nice. (I guess you can say that about any port).  Unfortunately that’s the risk you take when cruising. 

Yes true but still would be upset as I sail more for ports not ship.

I’m currently on the MSC Meraviglia that is scheduled to stop in Ocean Cay on Thursday.

I had a chance to speak to the cruise director about any changes.

1.  He confirmed that it is ready so if we miss it will be for another reason.

2.  He stated that the biggest improvement is the change to the berth to allow MSC World America to dock.

3.  Seakers buffet was apparently enlarged as well.

I’ll report out what I observe on Thursday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Notch8 said:

I’m currently on the MSC Meraviglia that is scheduled to stop in Ocean Cay on Thursday.

I had a chance to speak to the cruise director about any changes.

1.  He confirmed that it is ready so if we miss it will be for another reason.

2.  He stated that the biggest improvement is the change to the berth to allow MSC World America to dock.

3.  Seakers buffet was apparently enlarged as well.

I’ll report out what I observe on Thursday.

Very interested in hearing from you as we’re due to visit the day after. 

22 hours ago, cue881 said:

You want to be on the STARBOARD side of the ship.  They aim the bow towards the lighthouse when they dock.

That's accurate most of the time it appears. It is not true 100% of the time.

On 5/15/2024 at 5:18 PM, Best Cat Mom said:

Italian time plus Island time? Not a guarantee, not even close. LOL

I'm actually sailing in 5 days, and I'm hopeful it will be done on time! 

Have you seen the Documentary "Building Paradise Island"? MSC was super-committed to an on-time opening. 

On the other hand, yes, ship happens, so I am crossing my fingers and waiting eagerly for the reports from Notch8 and Hunter68. 🫣

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cue881 said:

It makes sense that they aim the bow to the lighthouse: their highest paying customers are in the Yacht Club, which occupies most of the bow. I am on the port side however, and so will hope and dream for an anomalous docking on May 30! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CityGrrl said:

MSC was super-committed to an on-time opening.

They missed it, though the pandemic was a contributing factor.

If you've been to Italy, you know that dates are very approximate there. I love MSC's products, so I'll deal with it! 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

They missed it, though the pandemic was a contributing factor.

If you've been to Italy, you know that dates are very approximate there. I love MSC's products, so I'll deal with it! 🙂

Ocean Cay opened before the pandemic,  we visited in December of 2019. The extent of industrial debris was greater than expected.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CityGrrl said:

It makes sense that they aim the bow to the lighthouse: their highest paying customers are in the Yacht Club, which occupies most of the bow. I am on the port side however, and so will hope and dream for an anomalous docking on May 30! 

This is true. I was in Yacht Club last summer on Seaside and was able to catch this view of the lighthouse at sunset from the outdoor balcony of the Top Sail Lounge.

Ocean Cay Sunset.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, CityGrrl said:

It makes sense that they aim the bow to the lighthouse: their highest paying customers are in the Yacht Club, which occupies most of the bow.

While this is certainly beneficial, I don't think it's the reason. My understanding is that there is no room for the ship to turn around on the land side of the narrow channel leading to Ocean Cay. The captain must choose whether to turn the ship around and sail backwards through the channel into the port (starboard faces lighthouse), or sail backwards out through the channel when leaving (port side faces lighthouse). The first option seems to be the one used most often.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

While this is certainly beneficial, I don't think it's the reason. My understanding is that there is no room for the ship to turn around on the land side of the narrow channel leading to Ocean Cay. The captain must choose whether to turn the ship around and sail backwards through the channel into the port (starboard faces lighthouse), or sail backwards out through the channel when leaving (port side faces lighthouse). The first option seems to be the one used most often.

I was on Meraviglia several times in 2021/2022 where we sailed through the channel to the island "nose first", then turned 180 degrees in the small turning basin just beyond the island and docked with the starboard side facing the island. You can see our approach in this video.  Ocean Cay Approach by Meraviglia 

• Like 3