LIVE from Jewel May 15, 2024 - 27 nights

I walked into town to find some local beer after the excursions.  I found a bar but it was packed wall to wall with mostly locals.  It's the only bar I could find, so I guess that explains why it's packed.  

With nowhere to even stand I headed back to the ship.

• Like 5

It's just after 11pm as I prepare to post this.

At 11:01pm I looked out and saw this:

JW-05-15-24-607.thumb.jpg.de3281c114eddf39e8ec6234dc0baff7.jpg

JW-05-15-24-605.thumb.jpg.1f74d0514b58bb636756c1417f88521d.jpg

JW-05-15-24-606.thumb.jpg.bcbd4cf20ccc75926f790462dbc60a61.jpg

JW-05-15-24-604.thumb.jpg.951bee803e07d6b7a7ed7c3ad404b161.jpg

Since I was heading up for a slice of pizza I thought I'd check out the sunset on the other side of the ship.

At 11:05pm the sun was obscured behind clouds but sort of visible in the sky.

JW-05-15-24-609.thumb.jpg.3415f016e0ea0e24c98d52898d12a2ea.jpg

JW-05-15-24-610.thumb.jpg.d30d130e5ffe4e0815aa8285a30892ef.jpg

It's not dark exactly.  I could probably read a book out there.

JW-05-15-24-608.thumb.jpg.28e232917dc1b49c287f0004320a2ff9.jpg

The moon is moving sideways across the sky.

Time: 11:34pm and the moon is now over the airport terminal.

JW-05-15-24-611.thumb.jpg.3fd150ab5b3f18c29af872bd8c496aad.jpg

So cool.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Overnight in Akureyri.

Next excursion meets at 6:30am on the pier.

Game of Thrones - Beyond the Wall.

6:30am?  What was I thinking?  🤣

Time for bed.

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Teewells said:

Is the helipad accessible only during certain hours or can you go anytime, please? 

It varies due to weather conditions, sometimes it is much to windy to be up there.

Also late at night the gates can be closed to go up there. I don't believe there is ever a set schedule posted anywhere.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, twangster said:

6:30am?  What was I thinking?  🤣

You're always up before then anyway...no problem. 😁

Spectacular photos of a spectacular place.  Can't wait to see what's in store for you today.

I've only been to Iceland once, making a refueling stop at the Keflavik Airport.  Never got to leave the airport.  I remember that it felt like we were landing on the moon with nothing but rocky wasteland in site until we touched down.  I hope today is as good for you as yesterday.  

• Like 3

Back on board with 10 minutes to spare.  

I've started going through today's pics but then sail away commenced, so... back soon.

Spoiler alert - time to book another cruise to Iceland.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It varies due to weather conditions, sometimes it is much to windy to be up there.

Also late at night the gates can be closed to go up there. I don't believe there is ever a set schedule posted anywhere.

Thank you @Jimbo.  I am most familiar with Celebrity, who seem to use it mostly for planned sail away events.  Have not been up there on a Royal ship yet.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I've started going through today's pics but then sail away commenced, so... back soon.

All of you photos have been fantastic. I am glad you enjoyed Akureyri as much as we did in 2022. We will be going back to Greenland/Iceland in August of this year, (on the Jewel from Amsterdam to Boston,)  so we are following your live report closely. 

• Like 1

When we were in Greenland last year, which wasn't very green in September we were told that Iceland was  really the green island.

Just not seeing it in your photo's, not what I would expect. Iceland looks like pictures from the Moon, is there any greenery anywhere?

Snow capped mountains look the same in both Greenland and Iceland though, no changes there.

We saw many, many huge icebergs in Greenland, do you have any ice berg pictures from your 2  stops in Iceland so far?

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

When we were in Greenland last year, which wasn't very green in September we were told that Iceland was  really the green island.

Just not seeing it in your photo's, not what I would expect. Iceland looks like pictures from the Moon, is there any greenery anywhere?

Snow capped mountains look the same in both Greenland and Iceland though, no changes there.

We saw many, many huge icebergs in Greenland, do you have any ice berg pictures from your 2  stops in Iceland so far?

No icebergs encounters yet. 

• Like 1

Any chance you can see if there is a diamond/crown on Jewel? Everything I’m seeing shows that they’ve totally done away with it in favor of the grand suites and higher. We just got off the 15 night transatlantic and booked a nine night

in the near future and never dawned on me to ask whether or not they’ve gotten rid of the diamond lounge. Anyway, if you have a moment and you’re walking around the ship or could ask someone that would be terrific. Thank you very much.

On 5/20/2024 at 7:11 AM, island lady said:

From what I understand, Pinnacles are supposed to get the paper copy of the cruise compass automatically.  Not sure what the set up is for others.  

So many of the things we took for granted is going away.  😞 

I went to guest services every morning on our jewel cruise last November and asked for one.  It’s a few pieces of paper, I don’t understand the big deal. 

On 5/20/2024 at 2:36 PM, Jimbo said:

Greg, 

If you want to do his B2B itinerary like what he booked, you better get packing because it's only being done this year(2024) by Royal, nothing for 2025 like this.

Maybe look at other cruise lines.

@Sea Dog if you are interested in the fjords cruise; which is what we will be on may 30, there are somewhat similar itineraries on the celebrity apex next year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

@Sea Dog if you are interested in the fjords cruise; which is what we will be on may 30, there are somewhat similar itineraries on the celebrity apex next year. 

Apex not leaving from the Amsterdam Or Rotterdam area as to what I'm looking for, plus I want to make sure it has both Flam and Geiranger  as ports.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, twangster said:

It's truly incredible.   I have been on cruises to other countries and not cruised Iceland but Iceland is the place I want to go back to.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Not going to ruin this thread but a year ago there was plenty of greenery and baby lambs, kids, reindeer etc but not in the same place as the icebergs which were further south and the ones we saw were mainly east. 

38 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Apex not leaving from the Amsterdam Or Rotterdam area as to what I'm looking for, plus I want to make sure it has both Flam and Geiranger  as ports.

No, Southampton.  A June cruise includes flaam and Geiranger 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, maggieq said:

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks for the info. I too would prefer to leave from Amsterdam. I love that city and would like to visit again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for the info. I too would prefer to leave from Amsterdam. I love that city and would like to visit again.

Me too.  I had Ken price Jewel for me this year, and sure wish i had gone ahead and booked.  I am retiring May 2025 and made a pledge to myself I would pay my home off in 2024.  It is going well, but I sure am missing cruising this year.  

Pat

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BeachLover718 said:

Any chance you can see if there is a diamond/crown on Jewel? Everything I’m seeing shows that they’ve totally done away with it in favor of the grand suites and higher. We just got off the 15 night transatlantic and booked a nine night

in the near future and never dawned on me to ask whether or not they’ve gotten rid of the diamond lounge. Anyway, if you have a moment and you’re walking around the ship or could ask someone that would be terrific. Thank you very much.

image.png.13b2aae43609507b3f0e5f19644820f4.png

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, BeachLover718 said:

Standard Radiance class set up remains.

I'll try to take pics later.

• Thanks 2

The day starts with the amazing views from my balcony unchanged.

JW-05-15-24-612.thumb.jpg.f46c924727745ff6f057b7d37e417f21.jpg

The sun is rising not far from where it set last night.

JW-05-15-24-613.thumb.jpg.c097236c3dfd9cea659a214633a8d911.jpg

JW-05-15-24-614.thumb.jpg.057f6f2f3188e610eb780dbaf38dd2e7.jpg

Excursion for today:

JW-05-15-24-615.thumb.jpg.cf41baa9d66a7ce376afde4487caea54.jpg

JW-05-15-24-616.thumb.jpg.68ec98273cb19892fa4db6b4f3122ce9.jpg

JW-05-15-24-617.thumb.jpg.fdc01d63d57ea3f7c6878c4fa07347ae.jpg

JW-05-15-24-618.thumb.jpg.1bcf9981d750166d70487562e8c2c7ee.jpg

On the pier so early.

JW-05-15-24-619.thumb.jpg.8f7c9918cf1e2cc913a86655f6410444.jpg

• Like 6