Do United or American sell upgrades at check-in?

dabear

We've flown some foreign airlines and were able to buy a last minute upgrade from PE to Business class at a reduced price. In the past UA and AA did not offer for sale unsold business class seats . Has that changed?

We've had offers from UA and AA to upgrade as the departures approach, but we were not given a better price, so did not take the offer. We have requested the wait list for an upgrade, but never cleared the wait list.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, goletans said:

We have requested the wait list for an upgrade, but never cleared the wait list.

Waitlist? If you have status on eligible domestic/shorthaul flights there's no waitlist for upgrades. You may get cleared up to 120 hours out from departure (on AA/UA) or by the gate agent in many cases.

Edited by fbgd

At least as it relates to UA, there is a bit of confusing info here.

First, while buying an upgrade at the gate is technically possible, its so rare as to not exist. Better the OP attempt to buy an upgrade a week or 2 (or even more) before the actual flight date. There are ways to do this by checking the status of your flight on the UA website, but to open all options, probably need to join UA's frequent flyer club. I have looked at this a number of times. Sometimes its discounted, but it seems lately its not. The front of the plane is full domestically virtually 100% of the time, and internationally well over 90% of the time.

What one sees at the gate is an ranked upgrade list for elites. About 100 hours prior to flight, UA determines who is eligible for upgrade based on their status, and sometimes adding in the fare they purchased. This list doesn't apply to non-members of United's frequent flyer club, and has nothing to do with purchasing an upgrade. As mentioned above, the highest level elites get upgraded about 100 hours prior to flight. Midlevel elites get upgraded 48-72 hours out, and lower elites get upgraded at 24 hours.  

• Like 2

You often are offered an upgrade when you purchase the ticket, though it's no bargain.  Usually, at least for UA, you can pull up your reservation and there is usually a blue circle with an arrow in it that says "upgrade cabin."   If anything is available, it will show you the price.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, fbgd said:

Waitlist? If you have status on eligible domestic/shorthaul flights there's no waitlist for upgrades. You may get cleared up to 120 hours out from departure (on AA/UA) or by the gate agent in many cases.

There is a waitlist for CPU on UA.  There are only CPU on domestic flights.  You must support upgrades for international flights with money/miles/PlusPoints on UA.

Edited by 6rugrats

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question in this same genre and I hope it doesn't sound too dumb. I am going on a trip out west (yes, actually going on a land trip)..omg...LOL......anyway, I am wanting to know about upgrading my seats.......I see on the United website how much $ it will be......can I upgrade those seats with my VISA miles? Or does it have to be through United? Is the question making sense?

I paid for my ticket with credit card, not with miles, if that makes any difference. 

You would think after all these years of cruising I might know this answer.......but I am not sure. 

27 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I have a question in this same genre and I hope it doesn't sound too dumb. I am going on a trip out west (yes, actually going on a land trip)..omg...LOL......anyway, I am wanting to know about upgrading my seats.......I see on the United website how much $ it will be......can I upgrade those seats with my VISA miles? Or does it have to be through United? Is the question making sense?

I paid for my ticket with credit card, not with miles, if that makes any difference. 

You would think after all these years of cruising I might know this answer.......but I am not sure. 

Who is the credit card through? Have you transferred miles elsewhere before? 

We need a lot more info about the miles program you are proposing to use.

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Who is the credit card through? Have you transferred miles elsewhere before? 

We need a lot more info about the miles program you are proposing to use.

It is a Capital One VISA. As for transferring miles, I have only used miles very few times over the years.

I know, most people use tons of miles but I am not one of them.

28 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I have a question in this same genre and I hope it doesn't sound too dumb. I am going on a trip out west (yes, actually going on a land trip)..omg...LOL......anyway, I am wanting to know about upgrading my seats.......I see on the United website how much $ it will be.

UA makes it pretty clear what you are buying.  Mostly, it's to get seats with extra legroom (Economy Plus), or an aisle or window, or nearer to the front (Preferred).  Those prices are the cash price to buy the new seat assignment.

30 minutes ago, Lois R said:

can I upgrade those seats with my VISA miles? Or does it have to be through United?

I have no idea what "Visa miles" are.  You can use United Mileage Plus points toward a purchase, but that probably is a poor use of the UA miles, IMO.  Or just pay cash.

Note that this is a non-refundable purchase, so no changing your mind afterward.  You can upgrade a Preferred seat to Economy Plus for additional payment.

If I got anything wrong folks, especially 6Rug, let me know.

50 minutes ago, Lois R said:

It is a Capital One VISA. As for transferring miles, I have only used miles very few times over the years.

I know, most people use tons of miles but I am not one of them.

I have not heard about transferring Capital One "miles" for this sort of thing, perhaps others have. You could try looking up on Capital One's website about their rules and options for use.

I would agree with others, using miles to upgrade in this situation would not usually be the best use. 

OK..thanks.......I will just keep the seats I already booked and not worry about it. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

I have not heard about transferring Capital One "miles" for this sort of thing, perhaps others have.

Capital One (and Chase/Citi/Amex as well) don't care what you do with your miles, once you have transferred them out of C1 to the airline.  You can use them for any purpose that the AIRLINE program allows.

C1 points transfer to the following airlines/hotels:  Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air France, Accor, Avianca, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Choice Hotels, Emirates, Etihad, EVA, Finnair, Qantas, Singapore, TAP, Turkish, Virgin and Wyndham.  Some of these can be quite attractive transfers, other are to be avoided like the plague.

Also, C1 points can be used to offset charges made on their credit card.  They are worth a credit of one-half cent for cash back credit to your account, eight-tenths for gift cards or Amazon, and one cent for offsetting travel purchases.  Since you can easily get more than a one cent value from a transfer, using them for account credits is a poor use.  But it's the easy one that C1 (and other card issuers) want you to use.

And of course, don't think of using miles as "free".  Rather, they are a currency that you have earned, and you want to get a good return from them.  One simple benchmark....you can easily get cards with a 2% cash back return.  So any other points you earn, and use, should get you at least that value.  If not, just go the cash back route and pocket the 2%.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

UA makes it pretty clear what you are buying.  Mostly, it's to get seats with extra legroom (Economy Plus), or an aisle or window, or nearer to the front (Preferred).  Those prices are the cash price to buy the new seat assignment.

I have no idea what "Visa miles" are.  You can use United Mileage Plus points toward a purchase, but that probably is a poor use of the UA miles, IMO.  Or just pay cash.

Note that this is a non-refundable purchase, so no changing your mind afterward.  You can upgrade a Preferred seat to Economy Plus for additional payment.

If I got anything wrong folks, especially 6Rug, let me know.

For a DL flyer (the airline that never has any delays, even for weather, or so I hear) you did pretty well.

PlusPoints are earned only by Platinum, 1K, and GS fliers, and they may be applied to request an upgrade.  Anyone who has these would be placed on the complimentary premier upgrade (CPU) list for domestic flights, so they wouldn't need to use them.  I think though you are just talking about MileagePlus miles.

For UA "preferred seats" (the ones with the black triangle) are the same as regular economy seats; they are just closer to the front.  I would never waste my money on them, and unless you have a basic economy ticket, you may choose them at no charge at 24 hours when you check in if any are available.  Economy Plus is not considered an upgrade, the fare class is still just economy.

Lois, I am not familiar with Capitol One, so have no idea if you can transfer your miles into your UA Mileage Plus account.  I also am not sure what you mean by "upgrade."  If you pull up your reservation in the app or at united.com, and go to "manage trip" there will be an option that says "upgrade cabin."  Note, this is only to upgrade, on your flight anyway, from economy to first.  If it's offered, it will give you the price or miles required, if an upgrade is offered.  Sometimes, it will clear immediately, but often you will be waitlisted, and you'll just have to wait and see if your upgrade clears.

If you would just like to purchase an economy plus seat (as long as you did not buy a basic economy ticket), just pull up the seat map and click on the seat you are interested in (they are blue on the map) and it will show you the price in money or miles for that seat.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

For a DL flyer (the airline that never has any delays, even for weather, or so I hear) you did pretty well.

PlusPoints are earned only by Platinum, 1K, and GS fliers, and they may be applied to request an upgrade.  Anyone who has these would be placed on the complimentary premier upgrade (CPU) list for domestic flights, so they wouldn't need to use them.  I think though you are just talking about MileagePlus miles.

For UA "preferred seats" (the ones with the black triangle) are the same as regular economy seats; they are just closer to the front.  I would never waste my money on them, and unless you have a basic economy ticket, you may choose them at no charge at 24 hours when you check in if any are available.  Economy Plus is not considered an upgrade, the fare class is still just economy.

Lois, I am not familiar with Capitol One, so have no idea if you can transfer your miles into your UA Mileage Plus account.  I also am not sure what you mean by "upgrade."  If you pull up your reservation in the app or at united.com, and go to "manage trip" there will be an option that says "upgrade cabin."  Note, this is only to upgrade, on your flight anyway, from economy to first.  If it's offered, it will give you the price or miles required, if an upgrade is offered.  Sometimes, it will clear immediately, but often you will be waitlisted, and you'll just have to wait and see if your upgrade clears.

If you would just like to purchase an economy plus seat (as long as you did not buy a basic economy ticket), just pull up the seat map and click on the seat you are interested in (they are blue on the map) and it will show you the price in money or miles for that seat.

Hi, thanks for your detailed response. I already purchased seats........I was trying to see about going to Business Class. It is giving me the price for those too.......I thought maybe I could use miles to pay for them. I will just stay where I am. The prices to move up there are a lot of extra $$$.

57 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Thanks.  I will confess that I am now a recovering Deltaholic.  The changes to SkyPesos, and other programs, have made me much more of a free agent.  The lifetime status at DL does come in handy, but when other options are better, I'll take them.  In my current markets, WN is often a better choice (and I can hear Greatam's voice from heaven screaming NOOOOOOO).  Plus, I'm flying less these days.

DL's vaunted reliability has gone out the window. Bastian let too many good people go during the pandemic.  My friends inside DL ops say it's not the same.

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

Lois, I am not familiar with Capitol One, so have no idea if you can transfer your miles into your UA Mileage Plus account. 

The only programs that transfer into Mileage Plus are Chase, Bilt and Marriott.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks for your detailed response. I already purchased seats........I was trying to see about going to Business Class. It is giving me the price for those too.......I thought maybe I could use miles to pay for them. I will just stay where I am. The prices to move up there are a lot of extra $$$.

Usually, it's miles plus money to move to business, but depends on routing and plane type.  Yes, I always think about what else I could do with the money.  

I probably should have referenced to international travel as I believe I know the domestic rules. Anyways since I bought my PE tickets through Flights By Celebrity at a good price(yes I've previously done this or booked directly with the airlines & know the + & - of both,) when I tried to upgrade I was told the tickets were ineligible to upgrade by any method.