Beverage package $12 max..questions on inconsistencies

njpln

Posted (edited)

We have had this exactly the same package several times since 2018.  But the drink prices keep rising, even thought the $12 allotment doesn’t.  A staffer told us to “ tell them to bill under $12” when you order a cocktail. So maybe you can sometimes order that way but not always.

It’s frustrating when one bar will bill you under $12 for the same drink another will bill you over $12. As customers, my DH and I don’t really want to get into a pricing debate every time we order a drink.  

We are looking for advice on how others handle this insane practice.   Especially since you get charged the entire amount on Cunard,  not just the additional cost.  

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by njpln
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jfavenuex said:

According to the Cunard website drinks like some cocktails and some wines by the glass can be up to 13.50 if you get the drinks package. Here is a link to the info on their website: A world of drinks - Drinks packages - Cunard cruises

That's the limit for the paid for drinks package. There is a Drinks package often included with Grills bookings in the US which has a $12 limit. 

@njpln are you asking about the Grills package?

Posted (edited)

Hattie, Yes.  But we met a couple who weren’t in the grills and also had a $12 limit.  

We find these types of perks to be inconsistent with other cruise lines that usually give a suite passenger the higher level of beverage package.  And it’s annoying that there are inconsistencies within different bars on the ship.  

And the concierge is useless, to be very frank. I’m wondering who is her superior?

Edited by njpln

21 minutes ago, njpln said:

Hattie, Yes.  But we met a couple who weren’t in the grills and also had a $12 limit.  

I'm not sure when that was but the current limit for the paid for package has been increased as above. 

Are you currently on board or not happy with the pre-cruise concierge service?

I have confirmed numerous times with Cunard that the US Grills Drinks Promo benefit covers drinks under $12, even though the prices increased. With so

many cocktails priced $12.50++, the $12 limit is a joke for Grills level pax and asking each passenger in a cabin to pay $70+/day each with $13.50 limits is worse. 
Solution - They should scrap these packages and give each passenger a complimentary bar tab (based on cabin class) with the option for each passenger to add to the tab to suit each passenger’s need. And give a % match with passenger add-ons i.e. pax adds $200 to the tab and Cunard adds $20. 
Let us determine how we spend our drinks benefits. This bar tab policy is one of the interesting offerings Virgin Voyages offers pax. This bar tab will also make it easier for staff to serve pax so they don’t have to explain limits and try to wiggle around to get a drink under the limits. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, njpln said:

We find these types of perks to be inconsistent with other cruise lines that usually give a suite passenger the higher level of beverage package.  And it’s annoying that there are inconsistencies within different bars on the ship.  

And the concierge is useless, to be very frank. I’m wondering who is her superior?

Just be thankful as there inconsistencies within Cunard. If you book a grill suite in US you get free drinks package and gratuities. In the UK if we book the same we get absolutely nothing no drinks package and they expect us to pay $18pppd gratuities.

Edited by majortom10

22 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Just be thankful as there inconsistencies within Cunard. If you book a grill suite in US you get free drinks package and gratuities. In the UK if we book the same we get absolutely nothing no drinks package and they expect us to pay $18pppd gratuities.

My drinks argument follows your reasoning to a tee - get rid of all these differing global policies and offer a complimentary bar tab based on one’s cabin category along with options of add-ons with a bonus.  As for “free” gratuities for US Grills, it is a non-factor because a non-Grills passenger can remove paid grats anyway. We will get no credit back if we ask for a credit of prepaid gratuity promo. 

• Like 2

To all,

Yes we are on QA. I will write comments later.

The issue with the drink package is something we’ve had Queen Mary2  and Queen Elizabeth in the past. But the drink prices are higher now…To us it seems hypocritical to even claim this package is a perk if you can’t make it work reasonably for the people are paying the highest prices to board the ship.

Re UK v US….I don’t understand why the prices and packages are different for people in the UK versus the US. I would rather just pay a price for the room and don’t include this ridiculous drink package.  (For those who don’t cruise other lines, for a really reasonable price you can get an elite drink package if you’re in a suite.)

Anyway, the concierge didn’t help us, but her boss did. They have removed charges already made, but will not remove with any going forward — and we know better than to order those particular cocktails.

Thanks for you comments.  We know the game and will play by the rules.  But the rules are balderdash.  If Cunard is looking to up its game, especially with US cruisers, who are used to much better drink packages, it will have to do better….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't it be simpler for Cunard to offer the US-booked Grills passengers whatever drink package is currently being sold? I cannot understand why they think separate packages are an advantage to the passenger.

• Like 3

Curious how Cunard handles drinks - 

I was looking at at Bar Menu - Compared to other lines the prices look very reasonable.   Do they also charger for mixers --e.g. tonic or is that included

If a drink is over the package $12.00 limit -  Do you just pay the difference like on Celebrity or do you have to pay the full amount? 

image.thumb.png.ec860cb10660d3d418591095bcfd17d7.png

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was looking at at Bar Menu - Compared to other lines the prices look very reasonable.   Do they also charger for mixers --e.g. tonic or is that included

If a drink is over the package $12.00 limit -  Do you just pay the difference like on Celebrity or do you have to pay the full amount?

I believe for the drinks shown in your post the mixers would be separate, but you should be able to order a small bottle or can. As soft drinks they're not subject to the 15 drinks a day limit.

Drinks over the limit are charged at full price plus 15% service, then discounted by 20% if you have the package.

Another thing to note is that measures, and possibly prices, have changed from 1oz and 2oz to 25ml and 50ml on recent price lists, which is about 16% less.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Mixers - so long as they are in another drink - are $2 if from the well. So a small standalone well tonic would be $2.90, a 200ml tin of Fever-Tree tonic $3.45, and $3.60 for the Three Cents versions (Dry and Aegean), also 200 ml.

Edited by Pushpit

3 hours ago, D&N said:

I believe for the drinks shown in your post the mixers would be separate, but you should be able to order a small bottle or can. As soft drinks they're not subject to the 15 drinks a day limit.

Drinks over the limit are charged at full price plus 15% service, then discounted by 20% if you have the package.

Another thing to note is that measures, and possibly prices, have changed from 1oz and 2oz to 25ml and 50ml on recent price lists, which is about 16% less.

Thanks ---- That's rather sneaky that they shifted to 25/50 ML.  I'm sure most American's have no idea what that equates to .   

I'm not a drinker so really doesn't bother me much but.... Let me tell you, I would have cut my husband off well before hitting the 15 drinks in a day limit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D&N said:

Drinks over the limit are charged at full price plus 15% service, then discounted by 20% if you have the package

To clarify for US Grills pax…According to T&C’s of US Grills Drinks Package Promo, any drink over $12 will be charged full price plus service charge.  However, there is no mention of getting the above mentioned 20% discount on any drinks above $12. That 15% discount feature applies only to the ~$70/daily paid package, not Grills promo. 
All these varying drinks package policies do a good job of confusing us pax and the staff. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2024 at 7:28 AM, ExArkie said:

I cannot understand why they think separate packages are an advantage to the passenger.

They don't. They are just an advantage to the cruise line. Why would you think passengers are even considered in these decisions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

They don't. They are just an advantage to the cruise line. Why would you think passengers are even considered in these decisions?

Just about sums it up.

Just got an email from Cunard, telling about their bars and drinking venues. It included menus with prices. I thought that in general, their prices were very reasonable. We'll be in a grill cabin and have the included drink package. I understand that we're limited to the 12 dollar selections. There were lots that I could be interested in under the 12$ range.

We most recently spent a weekend in NYC, visiting friends......we had 3 "ordinary" drinks in the hotel bar....almost 75$....holy moly andy! Cunard's prices look like a bargin basement!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mudhen said:

We most recently spent a weekend in NYC, visiting friends......we had 3 "ordinary" drinks in the hotel bar....almost 75$....holy moly andy!

Maybe you should avoid drinking in Tokyo. I've been to bars where that wouldn't even cover one drink.

• Haha 1