Princess Out Of NYC

Normally Brooklyn. Check the official port schedule at the below site.

Select the terminal "Brooklyn"

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Brooklyn Terminal again

Scroll down and select schedule. You can find your ship by date and name. If it is not there try the same with Manhattan. Princess does have a few sailings from Manhattan, but not many. 

https://www.panynj.gov/port/en/our-port/cruise-terminals.html

I could walk to the Manhattan terminal (if I didn't have luggage and DH didn't need a cane)...but not to Red Hook.  I really don't like it there; too congested.

But, the cruise I'm looking at is out of Red Hook.  Oh well...

Having never cruised out of NYC but we will in September on Enchanted, does anyone know if we'll go by the Statue of Liberty or under any bridges, etc? I know it's more likely if leaving from Manhattan, but do you if going from Brooklyn? Sorry if it's a dumb Q, just now too familiar with the routes they take right as they depart/return

On 5/22/2024 at 7:52 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't know why the travel docs still say "Manhatten or Brooklyn". I don't think I have ever seen a Manhattan embarkation. 

Previous Aussie World Cruises, ie: Sea Princess & Coral Princess, have used Manhatten as an embarkation port for the final segment of those cruises.

29 minutes ago, InTheWASide said:

Having never cruised out of NYC but we will in September on Enchanted, does anyone know if we'll go by the Statue of Liberty or under any bridges, etc? I know it's more likely if leaving from Manhattan, but do you if going from Brooklyn? Sorry if it's a dumb Q, just now too familiar with the routes they take right as they depart/return

Google Maps is your friend. The Statue of Liberty is across the harbor close to New Jersey. The ship will not pass it, but you might get a view. The ship will pass under the Verrazzano Bridge shortly after sailing. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, InTheWASide said:

Photo from Red Hook sailaway October 2023. You can see the Statue of Liberty from the ship while in port at Red Hook.

IMG_8078.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/21/2024 at 10:08 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

Do the ships leave out of Manhattan....or Brooklyn?  Or, does it vary by ship/date?

Our most recent Princess cruise out of New York (10/23) was out of Red Hook. 

9 minutes ago, jrobinso said:

Photo from Red Hook sailaway October 2023. You can see the Statue of Liberty from the ship while in port at Red Hook.

IMG_8078.png

This is great! Thanks so much!!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jrobinso said:

IMG_8078.png

This was the view from my balcony on the Meraviglia while still docked at Red Hook before sail away.

PXL_20230422_173740076.jpg

Edited by JamieLogical

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

This was the view from my balcony on the Meraviglia while still docked at Red Hook before sail away.

PXL_20230422_173740076.jpg

So beautiful. It always takes my breath away!

5 hours ago, InTheWASide said:

does anyone know if we'll go by the Statue of Liberty or under any bridges

As others have said, you can see the Statue from the ship before sailing.  I suggest you go forward and as far up as you can when going under the Verrazzano Bridge.  It looks like the ship only clears by a couple of feet.

20 hours ago, InTheWASide said:

While waiting to leave Red Hook you can see the Statue of Liberty on the other side of Governors Island, on the right side of the ship  (starboard)  When you clear Buttermilk channel

you will see the statue from a distance on the same starboard side.  The next event will be going under the Verazanno Bridge, make sure you are on the top deck nearer to the stern(back of ship).  The illusion will be you are certain to clip the bottom of the  bridge.

On 5/23/2024 at 2:34 PM, InTheWASide said:

When sailing out of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal one of our favorite treats is going to the top deck of the Queen Mary 2 and watch the ship go under the Bridge. I don't know how tall the Princess ships are, the QM2 just misses the bridge be a few feet, it is really a strange sensation thinking it will hit the bridge. 

Either way, I think it is worth while to go to the top deck for the sail awy

You can see the Statue of Liberty while still in port, and yes you can see the Statue while sailing away. 

• Thanks 1

I've sailed on Royal Caribbean many times out of NY/NJ and recently sailed on the Carnival Venezia out of NYC. Also sailed on NCL out of NYC. 

Whether or not you sail by Lady Libby often depends on what the Port Authority says, but in my experience, most of the time, you do pass by her. Go towards the bough of the ship for the best chance of seeing her. 

After you pass, about 15 min. later, you'll sail under the Verrazano Bridge. Grab your camera and head to the top deck. Head towards the stern of the ship, towards the smoke stack for the best pictures.