Would you say no to an Alaskan Cruise if Glacier Bay was not included?

Smokeyham

Absolutely would!!!  People who've been to Glacier Bay may tell you that it's a must, but actually there are multiple areas that are not Glacier Bay that have amazing, calving glaciers that take your breath away with their size, beauty, color, waterfalls, and wildlife viewing opportunities. You often hear about Mendenhall Glacier, Hubbard Glacier and some others, and perhaps not as much about the North and South Sawyer Glaciers, for example, simply because they're not visited as much since larger shops can't always get down into Tracy Arm Fjord close enough to view them. If you're fortunate enough to visit Sawyer Glacier (especially if you take a smaller excursion boat up near it) it will be an experience you'll never forget.  Everyone wants to believe that they did Alaska the best, but there are many ways to explore that beautiful state and make wonderful memories. We've visited multiple glaciers, gotten up close and experienced  calving from an "almost TOO close" distance, but for us it's only a part of what Alaska has to offer. Some of the not-as-famous locations may move you more than someone else's "must see."  

• Like 6

Personally I look at Glacier Bay as more than just “glacier viewing”, which yes, you can get at other glaciers. They are all spectacular in their own way. What I appreciate about Glacier Bay is the full national park experience, the abundant wildlife, the natural beauty everywhere beyond the glaciers you see. It’s a full meal!

image.thumb.jpeg.81725aa8bee69b75ac290cbf20a84ece.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eeb9c16f363a6e058c4b19ed4bf778b7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2f5da543ca7d9962e1db0fd0158a5895.jpeg

• Like 6

On 5/23/2024 at 4:36 PM, Jnsplace1 said:

My first AK cruise did not do Glacier Bay, and I am not sure that I knew what I was possibly missing?  Instead, it was Hubbard and I thought it was stellar.   

This next cruise because it's not only my honey's first cruise ever, but also first one on an AK cruise.  I specifically choose a GB itinerary.   

So, do you go not knowing, and enjoying anyway?   Sure why not?  AK is lovely.  

My first cruise had Hubbard and we missed it entirely. Definitely not stunning. Now I recommend 2 glacier days for individuals. I have probably been to Hubbard a dozen times now and only 3 of them were "stunning" - the rest were mediocre as we couldn't get close That seems to be an issue with Hubbard glacier.

On 5/25/2024 at 11:17 AM, karatemom2 said:

Personally I look at Glacier Bay as more than just “glacier viewing”, which yes, you can get at other glaciers. They are all spectacular in their own way. What I appreciate about Glacier Bay is the full national park experience, the abundant wildlife, the natural beauty everywhere beyond the glaciers you see. It’s a full meal!

image.thumb.jpeg.81725aa8bee69b75ac290cbf20a84ece.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eeb9c16f363a6e058c4b19ed4bf778b7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2f5da543ca7d9962e1db0fd0158a5895.jpeg

Very nice shots! What lenses were you using? Im leaving less than three weeks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, v3cruiser said:

Very nice shots! What lenses were you using? Im leaving less than three weeks. 

Thank you! Those were all taken with my IPhone. You should see the shots my son in law got with his really fancy Nikon. Stunning!

OK I'm going to be the oddball here, but when I did an Alaskan cruise last year we visited Glacier Bay and it was pretty at first, but as we sat and spun in a circle for what seemed like hours, not only did it get monotonous,  I started getting nauseated until the ship left. I've never been seasick before but spinning in a circle did me in...

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I have shared them with my friend and she appreciates the thoughts and view points.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We will be going on our fourth Alaskan cruise in August. We have been to Glacier Bay in the past and it was wonderful but don't let that be your deciding point on the cruise. Last year we were on the Celebrity Millennium and it went to Hubbard Glacier. We had the best day. The captain did three 360 turns in front of the glacier!  Celia Garland was the Naturalist on the ship and she was amazing. She is on the Edge this year. Anyway we got the best calving I have ever see that day. The most important this about picking a cruise is to check port times. We try to pick the cruise with the longest port days. Have a great cruise!

Edited by BunnieGirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BunnieGirl said:

Last year we were on the Celebrity Millennium and it went to Hubbard Glacier. 

Near the top of my list of all-time favorite cruises, and definitely my favorite Alaska cruise, was on Celebrity Millennium, one way, from Seward to Vancouver.  We too went to Hubbard and had an experience like yours. We've been on several AK cruises since then, and have been to Glacier Bay a few times, but we still talk about that Millennium cruise above all others.  It's why I don't buy into the whole argument that GB is such a must.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Near the top of my list of all-time favorite cruises, and definitely my favorite Alaska cruise, was on Celebrity Millennium, one way, from Seward to Vancouver.  We too went to Hubbard and had an experience like yours. We've been on several AK cruises since then, and have been to Glacier Bay a few times, but we still talk about that Millennium cruise above all others.  It's why I don't buy into the whole argument that GB is such a must.  

Here is my take on the Glacer versus Hubbard question having been to Glacier maybe 8 times and Hubbard maybe 4 times - they are fundamentally different experiences.  

With Glacier you have a full day experience w a park ranger and you are almost guaranteed o get in.  You get a bunch of glaciers but many are not tidewater glaciers.  You do not get really close to any of the glaciers so you do not get the feeling of awe about the huge size of the glacier.  Because you are not close any calving will seem less special than if you are up close to the glacier.

Hubbard is only a single glacier but it is a really really big glacier and you can get fairly close to it.  Also Hubbard is a tidewater glacier.  You will not get to spend a whole day at Hubbard.  Hubbard does a lot of calving and because you will be closer than at Glacier the calving will be more spectacular.  The really big negative about Hubbard is that if ice conditions are bad you may not get very close to the glacier and you might not get in at all.  Also once you are done with your viewing time at Hubbard you are out of there.

So you pays your money and you make your choice or if you are really smart you find a cruise that gets to both of them.

Hope this helps.  

DON

On 6/11/2024 at 11:38 PM, donaldsc said:

Here is my take on the Glacer versus Hubbard question having been to Glacier maybe 8 times and Hubbard maybe 4 times - they are fundamentally different experiences.  

With Glacier you have a full day experience w a park ranger and you are almost guaranteed o get in.  You get a bunch of glaciers but many are not tidewater glaciers.  You do not get really close to any of the glaciers so you do not get the feeling of awe about the huge size of the glacier.  Because you are not close any calving will seem less special than if you are up close to the glacier.

Hubbard is only a single glacier but it is a really really big glacier and you can get fairly close to it.  Also Hubbard is a tidewater glacier.  You will not get to spend a whole day at Hubbard.  Hubbard does a lot of calving and because you will be closer than at Glacier the calving will be more spectacular.  The really big negative about Hubbard is that if ice conditions are bad you may not get very close to the glacier and you might not get in at all.  Also once you are done with your viewing time at Hubbard you are out of there.

So you pays your money and you make your choice or if you are really smart you find a cruise that gets to both of them.

Hope this helps.  

DON

I would agree with this.

Also - Glacier Bay is rarely missed.

Hubbard - I have been very close a few times but most of the time, we are too far away to enjoy it as a glacier. Conditions have to be just right for ships to get close to it. When you are close - it is amazing. When you are far, it is not worth writing home about.

I've been sailing to Alaska since 1995 and have been there about 35 times. Any cruise is worth taking. Glacier Bay is an all day experience and I have never once missed it. I would guess I have had almost perfect weather 80+% of the time. I agree Hubbard is actually more spectacular but conditions have to be perfect. Most of the time we are no where close to the glacier and/or weather is bad. Most times we are miles away. When I started cruising the ships would get past the island and you could see the entire face of the glacier. Last year was the first time I have been anywhere close in 15 years. College Fjord actually used to be a favorite but it is sad to see how many of the glaciers have retreated. Also like Hubbard the ships never get anywhere as close as they used to. FYI my favorite is actually Tracy Arm but only on a small boat excursion to get really close. IMHO the most active for calving and the bluest colors. Not from the ship but both Mendenhall and Exit Glaciers are a far cry from what they were. Very sad to witness the retreats