Have you sailed on the first cruise after dry dock? How was it?

Hello,

We are booked on the first Miracle cruise departing Lisbon straight after dry dock next year.  Looking at the dry dock schedule it's quite a big one - about 6 weeks. I didn't pay attention and didn't realise when we booked.

I've read some generic advice on CC on what to expect after a dry dock but would be interested in any personal experiences with Carnival.  I'm wondering whether it's common for a cruise to be cancelled or shortened after dry dock because the ship isn't ready, or if Carnival are usually pretty good at sticking to their plan.

I understand 'ship happens' and nothing is guaranteed, trust me - this is our fourth attempt to book an international cruise after covid and the Panorama problem.  Just weighing up likelihood and risk.  For various reasons moving to a different cruise is not a good option, we'd have to cancel altogether if this isn't right, and probably lose the significant credits we've received from the previous cancellations - some of which was our own deposits.  I can't even begin to tell you how much time I spent on the phone to Carnival and how hard I fought to have those credits recognised, don't think I could put myself through that again! So if the likelihood of disruption is very low, we're going!

Thank you

Don't sweat the small stuff. It will be fine. 6 weeks is what a lot of them are running. Carnival Glory just had a dry dock that was a little over 3 weeks and everything was fine. Carnival Legend (same class as Miracle) is currently in dry dock for about 3 weeks. This is what they are doing to Legend and probably the same + some more to Miracle:

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-announces-enhancements-for-next-ship-in-dry-dock/131927

I’ve done a long transatlantic cruise right after dry dock with Carnival twice and both times there were no delays or cancellations. It’s extremely rare to delay or cancel a cruise, it costs cruise lines too much money. Delays or cancellations usually occur due to unforeseen circumstances like weather or mechanical issues with the ship. But it’s very rare to occur after dry dock. On our first transatlantic cruise on the Freedom some cruisers complained that they were still putting finishing touches on the ship and they didn’t like it. And the launderettes hadn’t been repaired or upgraded so there were complaints about that too. Evidently a lot of people flew in a week early and did some sightseeing and had tons of dirty laundry to wash so there was a lot of arguing over the launderettes. But we loved it so much that we booked an identical cruise for the following year while we were still on our transatlantic sailing. We have a third transatlantic cruise booked as well as a first ever transpacific cruise booked which we would never do if we thought they’d delay or cancel the cruise. That would just ruin it for me. I wouldn’t worry too much about delays or cancellations. The most you’ll have to worry about is them doing touch ups around the ship finishing the dry dock work that may have not gotten completed. It never bothered us. The food was tasty and the entertainment was great so we were just fine. 

We cruised after a dry dock, as I recall they had some items still being worked but nothing that effected our time on the cruise! 

terrible! When the Sunshine was first renovated ( from a previous name) we cruised on this ship in Mediterranean. It was not finished. Constant working on it and many issues. I still can say i’ve never had a bad cruise, but this one was not at the top of my list. 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BETSY DOLL said:

terrible! When the Sunshine was first renovated ( from a previous name) we cruised on this ship in Mediterranean. It was not finished. Constant working on it and many issues. I still can say i’ve never had a bad cruise, but this one was not at the top of my list. 😂

Apples and orangutans.  The dry dock they are talking about is regular maintenance, the one you are talking about was a major transformation.  Other than being the same cruise line and having a funnel, there is little similarity.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Apples and orangutans.  The dry dock they are talking about is regular maintenance, the one you are talking about was a major transformation.  Other than being the same cruise line and having a funnel, there is little similarity.  

Agreed, even for a longer than normal drydock like this one I wouldn't expect too many issues.

A coworker went on the very first cruise of Sunrise after the renovation and said much the same as @BETSY DOLL - ship was unfinished, disruptive work going on all cruise, etc. But that was the same type of deal, the ship had just undergone a huge renovation.