TA fl to barcelona

If you’ve done this, I would love some insight in what you like and didn’t like we’ve cruised several times so I know what to expect. We’re very familiar with Holland. But I’ve never done transatlantic.

I love sea days!  So relaxing.  I like to read, socialize, have lunch in the Pinnacle, listen to lectures, catch up on on-demand movies be pampered by my room stewards and servers.  I like that the ship is full of experienced cruisers.  I prefer to go from East to west, I think it is easier with the time change.

We've done several TA's .... both directions....

Last month we were on the Oosterdam FLL to Barcelona TA

So the sea days fly by for us.....We enjoy the ship and all the amenities and entertainment.....

What we like:

• relaxing 
  • activities (coffee chats, presentations, EXC talks, captains talk, etc)
  • dining (from breakfast, to lunch to fixed seating MDR....enjoy the food on HAL)
  • special activities (cruise critic m&g, mariner reception, mariner lunch)
  • reading (knock out some Grisholm novels)
  • entertainment (going from billboard to the main stage to the rolling stone lounge) based on what's going on that evening
  • exercising (walking on the promenade deck, gym)
  • spa (her majesty books a couple of treatments and we usually get the thermal suite access)
  • not flying and not arriving w/jet lag
  • the ports (we've been to most of them before so like to find something different to do or just enjoy walking)
  • the price 
  • arriving in Europe or home with clean clothes (love the laundry)

What we do not like:

• having to depart the ship because the cruise ends
  • lido line skippers and chair hogs (obviously, downside to sea days)

I've not yet traveled with HAL but have done several transatlantic cruises. Here are some thoughts:

Transatlantics are largely about sea days so how much you will enjoy the cruise will depend on what you think about sea days.

The sea may be choppier than you are used to. The cruise can be very calm but isn't always.

Make sure to fly into your departure port early (if flying is necessary). On my last transatlantic, several guests flew in on the day and though they made it, their luggage didn't. 10+ days without any luggage (and no way to buy much) made the trip challenging for those guests!

Take a good look at the deck plan before booking (at least if you are not familiar with the ship). Some ships are definitely more suited to warm weather and indoor venues can be crowded.

The ship and the cruise line will be more important on a transatlantic. On a port-intensive cruise you may not even notice if you don't care for a ship's entertainment/style but on a transatlantic it will be quite obvious.

If your budget isn't huge - check flight prices prior to booking a transatlantic with a great price. One way flights can be quite expensive.

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

We've done several TA's .... both directions....

Last month we were on the Oosterdam FLL to Barcelona TA

So the sea days fly by for us.....We enjoy the ship and all the amenities and entertainment.....

What we like:

• relaxing 
  • activities (coffee chats, presentations, EXC talks, captains talk, etc)
  • dining (from breakfast, to lunch to fixed seating MDR....enjoy the food on HAL)
  • special activities (cruise critic m&g, mariner reception, mariner lunch)
  • reading (knock out some Grisholm novels)
  • entertainment (going from billboard to the main stage to the rolling stone lounge) based on what's going on that evening
  • exercising (walking on the promenade deck, gym)
  • spa (her majesty books a couple of treatments and we usually get the thermal suite access)
  • not flying and not arriving w/jet lag
  • the ports (we've been to most of them before so like to find something different to do or just enjoy walking)
  • the price 
  • arriving in Europe or home with clean clothes (love the laundry)

What we do not like:

• having to depart the ship because the cruise ends
  • lido line skippers and chair hogs (obviously, downside to sea days)

We are doing this exact cruise on Oosterdam April 2025. Did you do a review? thanks 

We will be doing the opposite route next year.  I love a TA.  I love watching the ocean from the Crow's Nest and relaxing all day without some hurry-hurry port to visit.  DH plays cards with his new friends (and he always finds some) and I read--a lot.  Leisurely breakfasts in the MDR, long lunches at the buffet or grill, new dishes to try at dinner and a couple of visits to Pinnacle.  I have never been bored on a TA. (And I sleep like a baby in the rocking ship.)

We’ve done five transatlantics — our sixth will be next spring.  We really like heading east and arriving in Europe refreshed and ready to go.  No jet lag. Knock on wood, but we’ve always enjoyed fine weather.  Captain always seems to find smooth seas.  The crossing goes by quickly — too quickly!  Great way to travel.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tony s said:

We are doing this exact cruise on Oosterdam April 2025. Did you do a review? thanks 

no, but happy to answer any questions.....we had a blast.

• Thanks 1

I've done the other way twice.  It's much better the other way as you get all the busyiness of many ports out of the way, and then have all the sea days in a row and gain hours on the way back.  Either way, TAs are awesome, and usually a cruise bargain. 

We've loved them.  Usually a more serious crowd and well traveled.  People are accustomed to traveling alot, so there is a huge difference on these adventures. Just to clarify, this is not the Caribbean crowd, not that there's anything wrong with that lol! Ship is pretty quiet after 9 P.M.

• Like 1

I’m on a TA right now. We are loving it. The sea days were wonderful. There was plenty to do, but really we were just happy to relax. We ended up getting into a bit of a routine with walking the promenade and then relaxing on the steamer chairs. 

Losing the hours wasn’t too bad. 

I’m on a Vista Class ship. I find there is plenty of room for indoor relaxing with ocean views. So even if the weather wasn’t great and most stayed  indoors it would be quite pleasant. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tony s said:

We too are on this cruise.  Relaxing is the best.  I’ll skip the massage ( too pricy) but might look into thermal suite. 

I’ve done a number of transtantics and both ways.

the only negative on going in the Spring is the time changes - the clock moves forward to catch up to European time.  Some ships change the time at noon or 2 pm and others change it at night.  I prefer the day time change but, since you are at sea, it’s not a big deal either way.

The plus side of the spring transatlantic is that I find the light home from Europe easier than the flight the other way.  I’m not sure if it is because you are travelling in the day but I seem to suffer less from the time change.

I find you get into “cruise mode” on the transatlantic portion and the days just slip away.  What’s nice on this itinerary is the stop in Bermuda as you cross the pond.

there’s usually some CC activities on the sea days and often good lectures, ship activities, etc as previously mentioned.  Trust me, it’s not hard to fill the day 😉 

while there is no guarantee on King Neptune, I have found most days of our sailings to be very smooth.  My last sailing going to Europe the seas were like glass.  We had invited friends to join us for their first TA and they were shocked.  They thought we would be rocking and rolling.  that being said, there are no guarantees but the ships do know the path to take and move out of the way of storms.  

I think you may discover you become a fan of TA’s when your cruise is over - at least, I hope so 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, esimon said:

I’ll skip the massage ( too pricy) but might look into thermal suite. 

So passing this along but this may never happen again......

So we wanted the thermal suite for our TA but we really only wanted it for the first 7 days (all sea days, eastbound, the Oosterdam, April 2024)

During the embarkation tour, we asked the spa lady giving the tour if that was possible and she said "we will need to see the manager" after the tour......We did and the spa manager sold us a 7 day thermal suite pass for $149 each (even though this was a 14 night cruise).  This worked out perfectly for us.

I never expected it and will never expect it again.....but learning it never hurts to ask....

Enjoy the journey......

• Like 1

We've done multiple trans Atlantics and Pacifics on HAL but just finished a trans Pacific on the Majestic Princess. The sheer number of daily activities on the Majestic was stunning.  And one didn't have to do a single one of them, although I did a few.  However, we are doing the FLL to Egypt RT in November on HAL and that one has lots of sea days both directions.  We're looking forward to it.

Eastbound to Europe, get a starboard side balcony as you will have a warmer and sunnier balcony.  A good trip with relaxing days at sea.