Bringing alcohol onboard

2 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

Does it matter where you store the bottle of wine?  Carryon or luggage?  

Carry on always.  If you have it in your luggage, the luggage will be held until you go to the appropriate room to claim it.  They will have you open the luggage to verify it is only a bottle of wine.  Much easier to put it in your carry on.

• Like 1

The ONLY time I've been to the claim room was when my cruise companion brought a 3-litre wine bag (out of a box) onboard in checked luggage. When the suitcase was opened, the Princess rep. examined the wine bag, then said "okay, thanks" and didn't confiscate it. 👌

It's supposed to be in the carry on but if you place a bottle in the checked luggage as well they might miss the one in the carry on & not have to pay the corkage fee.

It's worth taking a chance. 😉

• Like 1

Since they don't seem to check what liquids you have, I'm surprised more people don't bring beer/wine/liquor in their carry on's.  All the various cans/bottles of water and soft drinks I bring on could easily have alcohol in them, but they never check or question it. 

10 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

most have the package so bringing your own is doing them a favour LOL 

That's one of the major reasons why their checking is so minimal in the last few years. From the sound of it most people are buying into the package so why bother bringing additional from home. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

Not really, the only ones that would be bringing a bottle on fall into two categories.  One, those that like a particular high end variety that Princess would not have or would be over the limit of 15/20 per glass or two,  those that don't get plus or premier that will make those four servings in the bottle stretch for the entire length of their cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What do you mean not really ? In both cases high end wine or over the limit both of these folks would no doubt have a package correct? 
so they would be doing princess a favor ?

16 hours ago, 555 said:

It's supposed to be in the carry on but if you place a bottle in the checked luggage as well they might miss the one in the carry on & not have to pay the corkage fee.

It's worth taking a chance. 😉

On our last cruise there was a disturbance in the room next to us.  The woman kept screaming at her husband, including "you said it was protected"   ........ So I would say its not worth it when your bag gets tossed from place to place and bin to bin while in transport  -  a bag full of wet clothes which smell like wine or bourbon is not worth it.  You are on vacation, just pay the cost for an extra glass of wine.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, deultgen said:

On our last cruise there was a disturbance in the room next to us.  The woman kept screaming at her husband, including "you said it was protected"   ........ So I would say its not worth it when your bag gets tossed from place to place and bin to bin while in transport  -  a bag full of wet clothes which smell like wine or bourbon is not worth it.  You are on vacation, just pay the cost for an extra glass of wine.  

I guess it can happen from time to time but I've been lucky all these years. The worse that can happen is we'll be doing a few loads of wash on the first day. 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Not really, the only ones that would be bringing a bottle on fall into two categories.  One, those that like a particular high end variety that Princess would not have or would be over the limit of 15/20 per glass or two,  those that don't get plus or premier that will make those four servings in the bottle stretch for the entire length of their cruise.

Third category, those that 15 drinks just isn't enough 😂

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

Until you get so drunk that you fall overboard and your family sues the cruise line for allowing you to drink more than 15 alcoholic beverages in a day.

4 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

What do you mean not really ? In both cases high end wine or over the limit both of these folks would no doubt have a package correct? 
so they would be doing princess a favor ?

In the case of the "over 15 drinks" person, they would not be doing Princess a favor.  Drinks 16-25 for the day would have been purchased at a hefty markup, so bringing alcohol on board takes that revenue away from the ship.

3 hours ago, deultgen said:

On our last cruise there was a disturbance in the room next to us.  The woman kept screaming at her husband, including "you said it was protected"   ........ So I would say its not worth it when your bag gets tossed from place to place and bin to bin while in transport 

How do you know she was screaming about a bottle and not something else??  😲

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

In the case of the "over 15 drinks" person, they would not be doing Princess a favor.  Drinks 16-25 for the day would have been purchased at a hefty markup, so bringing alcohol on board takes that revenue away from the ship.

How do you know she was screaming about a bottle and not something else??  😲

🙂 actually, you are right, everything she was saying sounded so naughty, but really it was just a husband trying to sneak an extra $25 bottle of wine on board and a suitcase full of wine stained clothes.  We saw them regularly on the same cruise and she would always ask if we wanted a drink and that her husband way paying.

Edited by deultgen
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've taken 2 regular bottles + 1 or 2 mini sparkling wine bottles onboard last several cruises (to add to cranberry juice). They just questioned me on the minis (wine or alcohol?). Although I'm ready to charge to my onboard accounts, they don't care. In fact on my last cruise we did a group wine tasting in Horizon Court. Although there were 8 people sitting there with 8 bottles of wine that did not have a sticker on it, no one cared. Yes most of us did have a package. I'm thinking of this as a possible CC Roll Call event on my next cruise which has 2 long stints of sea days

I know the rule is 1st bottle no charge, subsequent bottles $20 each. I think I might try to bring on port next time -- someone posted they were able to now. 

To answer OP @Freckles1983 carryon. 

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, 555 said:

I guess it can happen from time to time but I've been lucky all these years. The worse that can happen is we'll be doing a few loads of wash on the first day. 😄

yep, the worst thing would be a bottle of RED wine breaking in your luggage, staining all your cruise clothes, and having to buy new ones.

On 5/24/2024 at 7:48 AM, 555 said:
On 5/24/2024 at 5:50 AM, deultgen said:

I use wine skins and I've never had an issue. Even if it did break it wouldn't leak. 

https://bevmo.com/products/39575

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 7:18 AM, Retired-N-Happy said:

Or those who like a particular wine to celebrate a special occasion but don't want to pay $155 for it when you bring the one from home and all you have to pay is the $20 corkage.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, suzyed said:

We use Wine Diapers if we pack in the suitcase.

I'll look those up as I'm on my 6th use of the wine skins and ill need to replace soon. I can only re-use so many times

Thanks for adding the link. Basically wine skins & wine diapers are the same idea EXCEPT yours are made to be re-used. I just re-use mine w/o the convenient zip closure. Will switch whenever I have to reorder 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'll look those up as I'm on my 6th use of the wine skins and ill need to replace soon. I can only re-use so many times

Thanks for adding the link. Basically wine skins & wine diapers are the same idea EXCEPT yours are made to be re-used. I just re-use mine w/o the convenient zip closure. Will switch whenever I have to reorder 

We have re-used them as long as the zip closure is still intact.  If packing in the suitcase we still pack it between clothes for extra padding just to be on the safe side.  Supposedly if your bottle does break, the "diaper" will hold all the liquid!