Cancelling Excursions

I’m a little confused how it works if you cancel an excursion. When i cancelled i assumed i’d receive a refund right away. Instead when i booked a new excursion it said i had a credit and applied the credit so i didn’t have to pay. They never emailed me about this and no record that i can find of this transaction. (Excursions are booked). So when do you receive a refund if no new excursion is booked and where is the transaction record?

There's usually a 2 or 3 day delay when canceling an excursion before it goes back to a credit card (at least in my experience).  Since you turned right around and booked another excursion, the system "knew" you had some credits there and just automatically applied those funds.

I just learned the hard way, that if you pre-pay an excursion via credit card, and don't book any new excursions, you WON'T get a credit card refund.  They will apply it as OBC and there is no place to see the credit online.   

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, TW6cruiser said:

I just learned the hard way, that if you pre-pay an excursion via credit card, and don't book any new excursions, you WON'T get a credit card refund.  They will apply it as OBC and there is no place to see the credit online.   

True, but if you find this is the case for you once onboard, you have OBC left over as we did, we received unused money as a check in the mail exactly 15 days post debarkation. You can view onboard and print at the kiosks.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TW6cruiser said:

I have not found this to be the case (in our experience) unless you have canceled very near sail date. We have *always* gotten a CC refund within 3 or 4 days of canceling. Now, admittedly, we have not canceled anything for a while now...maybe this is something relatively new.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have not found this to be the case (in our experience) unless you have canceled very near sail date. We have *always* gotten a CC refund within 3 or 4 days of canceling. Now, admittedly, we have not canceled anything for a while now...maybe this is something relatively new.

We are a few months out. They said it had to do with the fact that I had used some OBC for some excursions and then paid for others.  They "give you back" OBC up to the amount that you once had.  Really makes no sense at all to me. This is the first time we ever cancelled an excursion. I learned my lesson I guess. 

I booked an excursion very recently (within the last month) and wound up cancelling it shortly after. The amount was refunded to my credit card within the week.

I like the way they do it now as a canadian. You get a credit and can book another excursion without triggering a refund. This is good due to exchange rate and exchange rate charge. Not sure if it only works that way that same day.

If you booked your excursions with a combination of OBC and Credit card when you cancel the OBC will be restored first.  If the refund due exceeds the OBC you will get credit to your credit card for whatever the difference is.  It doesn’t matter which excursion the OBC was applied to as they take all of the monies paid as a whole.  Note: your OBC on the web site will never show a reduction when you apply it to an excursion.  You need to know what you’ve used.  When you book they send an email with a breakdown….save that email or screen print the breakdown when you book.  It’s worked this way for quite a while now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, t&atravel said:

If you booked your excursions with a combination of OBC and Credit card when you cancel the OBC will be restored first.  If the refund due exceeds the OBC you will get credit to your credit card for whatever the difference is.  It doesn’t matter which excursion the OBC was applied to as they take all of the monies paid as a whole.  Note: your OBC on the web site will never show a reduction when you apply it to an excursion.  You need to know what you’ve used.  When you book they send an email with a breakdown….save that email or screen print the breakdown when you book.  It’s worked this way for quite a while now.

There is a fairly easy way to see how much OBC has been applied to excursions. Start the booking for another excursion. Go all the way to the Pay Now selection. It will show applied and available OBC. Then remove the excursion from your cart without actually paying for it.

22 hours ago, TW6cruiser said:

We are a few months out. They said it had to do with the fact that I had used some OBC for some excursions and then paid for others.  They "give you back" OBC up to the amount that you once had.  Really makes no sense at all to me. This is the first time we ever cancelled an excursion. I learned my lesson I guess. 

The ones I have booked with both OBC and credit card get OBC back immediately and credit card refund in a few days.  Last one of these was a few weeks ago.  Note that you should NEVER book and pay for more than one at a time.  Book one, check out completely, then book the next.

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

The ones I have booked with both OBC and credit card get OBC back immediately and credit card refund in a few days.  Last one of these was a few weeks ago.  Note that you should NEVER book and pay for more than one at a time.  Book one, check out completely, then book the next.

That's a smart idea. 

I never get a refund on the credit card. It goes towards OBC on the ship. This is frustrating. Eventually I do get a refund (via check weeks after the cruise) if I don't spend it.

On 5/25/2024 at 7:53 PM, TW6cruiser said:

This is my experience.