Security at Pier 91 in Seattle

Hrhbob

Sailing on the Edge out of Pier 91 in Seattle. Wife and I are planning on travelling with just one small roller suitcase each, the kind that fits in the overhead bins on an airplane. I assume the Xray machine in the cruise terminal is the same size as the airport screening Xrays. Can someone confirm that these type suitcases will fit through the Xray at pier 91?  We would like to carry our suitcases on with us when we board and leave them in our suite when we pickup our sail cards.

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’m impressed that you both can pack for Alaska and get it all into a carry on!!!  

I did a 7-night cruise - that was a Running Cruise with 4 different races - plus a night before in Anchorage and a night after in Seattle with carry-on only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’m impressed that you both can pack for Alaska and get it all into a carry on!!!  

We do 15 days with just one carryon each. this is two seven cruises B2B and going a day early.

It helps that we are Elite Plus so we each get two free bags of laundry per leg.

Just now, grandgeezer said:

We do 15 days with just one carryon each. this is two seven cruises B2B and going a day early.

It helps that we are Elite Plus so we each get two free bags of laundry per leg.

Again, very impressive. I may just be way overthinking what I will need for Alaska. 

4 hours ago, Hrhbob said:

Sailing on the Edge out of Pier 91 in Seattle. Wife and I are planning on travelling with just one small roller suitcase each, the kind that fits in the overhead bins on an airplane. I assume the Xray machine in the cruise terminal is the same size as the airport screening Xrays. Can someone confirm that these type suitcases will fit through the Xray at pier 91?  We would like to carry our suitcases on with us when we board and leave them in our suite when we pickup our sail cards.

This is a good question.  I thought you could carry on any size luggage…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hrhbob said:

I see that nobody has answered *exactly* the question you posed.  Yes, standard airline sized carry on bags will fit through the scanners for the ship.

• Like 1

Just now, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Will larger suitcases fit?

I personally do not know the procedure for larger bags...but there's *got* to be a way.  Perhaps they will be accepted subject to a manual hand search...I do not know.  We always let the bags be handled by porters or via a cruise line transfer which handles the bags all the way to the cabin.

You can fit any bag short of elephant sized through their scanners. 

Look for expandable carry on luggage. My wife and I use it exclusively. You can stuff your backpack to fly with way more than you want to carry on your back. Then expand your carry on suitcase and put just about everything into it. Expandable carry on's also gives you the ability to carry on "free" 12 packs and bottles of wine on lines that allow it. We wont cruise without them. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jwlane said:

The machines are not limited to carry-on size luggage.  The size constraints don't exist like they do for aircraft.

I'm not sure if all airports have the same size X-ray machines but at the San Diego airport the lady in front of us was alone with 2 children and she forgot to drop her large bag at bag check. They sent it through the machine for her and told her to see what they could do for her at the gate. I was surprised that the suitcase went through with no problem. She apologized profusely to us and the TSA agents for the confusion she had caused..