Townsville is featuring in new itineraries

Townsville is upgrading their cruise terminal to cater for larger ships. There is no mention of the wharf capacity, which I believed to be too small for most of our homeported ships. Townsville is showing in some P&O and Princess itineraries, with no mention of a water shuttle.

Great news, especially for those QLD coastal itineraries that are full of tender stops.

https://www.townsville-port.com.au/quayside-terminal-transformation/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Here is the other piece of the puzzle. Larger ships have been unable to dock, restricted by the size of the shipping channel. This is already in hand, as they are doubling the width of the channel.

https://www.dts.qld.gov.au/news/latest/2023/tourism-boost-as-cruise-line-giant-adds-townsville-to-itinerary-for-2025

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Also some Norwegian Sun winter cruises between Cairns and Fiji.

I do like their 1 night cruise on 23rd April 2025. It has been a while since we have done a 1 nighter.

These are nice looking itineraries, and for those seeking variety ....

If not for our Crown WC, it would be tempting. I am surprised they are not dual porting it with Brisbane to get their numbers up.

12 minutes ago, arxcards said:

for those seeking variety

I don't know if Norwegian is trying to market Sun as an expedition ship or what, but she is also doing stops in Cooktown. Which is not something I thought I'd see from a ship that size again.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

I do like their 1 night cruise on 23rd April 2025. It has been a while since we have done a 1 nighter.

These are nice looking itineraries, and for those seeking variety ....

If not for our Crown WC, it would be tempting. I am surprised they are not dual porting it with Brisbane to get their numbers up.

Took me a moment to realise that WC means World Cruise rather than Water Closet. 🤣

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

Took me a moment to realise that WC means World Cruise rather than Water Closet. 🤣

Depends. If it is a bad cruise, it may have a dual meaning.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Could you do a day trip to Magnetic Island from a cruise ship stopped at Townsville?

Should be able. The ferry runs regularly enough from an adjacent wharf. As to what is readily accessible to do when you get to Maggie Island, I don't know.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, arxcards said:

As to what is readily accessible to do when you get to Maggie Island, I don't know.

I have fond memories from there in the 80s. I think there is still a Koala cuddling place on the island. Lots of beaches and toad races at the pub.

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I have fond memories from there in the 80s. I think there is still a Koala cuddling place on the island. Lots of beaches and toad races at the pub.

One of the wags on one of the Townsville news social pages offered suggestions for shore tours. One was that the local teens could make some money by stealing cars and taking you for a joyride. Don't you just love a local bias of civic pride! 🤣

• Haha 5

Magnetic Island is certainly possible as a day trip from Townsville. The Sealink ferry runs regularly all day, takes 30 minutes, no need to book in advance.  Once there, you can hire a car right at the ferry terminal (booked in advance) and drive around the island. Or there is a good bus service which will get you over to the seaward side of the island, to magic Horseshoe Bay.

It is the most beautiful tropical island, lovely beaches, great places to eat, good walking tracks, wild animals etc. - well worth a visit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't find Townsville all that interesting. It seems dry, and spread out. I wouldn't book a cruise for the port like I would for say Eden or Cairns.

I haven't been there for many years, maybe it's  changed? I just found it mostly a uni student and defence force town with a mix of country.

I have frequented Cairns though, but I have family there so there's incentives.