Ascent May 2025 first time to Croatia/Montenegro?

I'm wondering if it us the first time/cruise that the Celebrity Ascent will be travelling to the ports on its May 2025 10 day cruise.

The ports in question are: 

Olympia and  Corfu Greece, Split and Dubrovnik Croatia, Bar Montenegro. I believe it has already been to Naples and Messina Sicily.

I am currently booked on this cruise and wonder about who I might ask about potential Celebrity offered shore excursions of recommendation in these ports? If it is Ascent's first time there, would the previous Beyond cruisers be able to help with what they feel were solid shore excursions in Croatia, Montenegro instead? 

I know that many take outside companies or take private tours/go on their own in many instances, my wife feels most safe with being on a Celebrity excursion (no ammnt of convincing will change this mindset). We have on occasion, done our own thing but this is predominantly the case)

Keeping this in mind, can I please get some help with what people might recommend. 

I have heard that Kotor offers more than Bar as a port, so we hope to get on the Kotor Celebrity excursion. 

Any ideas, feedback, suggestions is much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Cameron 

You might want to read reviews from cruisers the ships who have been to some or all of the ports on a Celebrity ship.   Often posters who submit reviews include information on what excursions they took.   Additionally, if you haven't joined the Roll Call for this sailing you might want to do that, some will be organizing small group excursions and others may have been to one or more of these ports previously and have suggestions.

We have been to most of the ports on your itinerary but we rarely do ship excursions, preferring arranging our own with others from the Roll Call.  

I see you also asked on the Ports of Call board so hopefully you will get some info.

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, I do not take excursions by Celebrity due to large groups, along with paying more except if just two of you go.  Kotor, Montenegro is absolutely wonderful, whether you just tender into town, on your own, or take an excursion.  We have been there several times, doing the town on our own just last year.  Since your wife is limiting you to Celebrity excursions, those will limit the time you are in port, but research and see what interests you both the most.  The photos below are of Old Town, taking the first tender in the morning...(sorry about the double video, as it will not allow me to delete!)

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2160.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
Trying to get rid of the double video!
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pics and feelings about Kotor. I knew the Celebrity vs go on own or other company excursion debate would surface. Your points are well understood and taken as good advice.

If we choose to go on our own is a possibility right at port I want to make clear, however she is most comfortable with Celebrity excursions, so I guess I am asking about both do it yourself/self guided recommendations and for Celebrity excursions too.

Again much thanks Kotor is on that must see list

We’re going to several of these ports on Constellation in September. We have X excursions booked pretty much everywhere. It’s many months away, but I’ll be posting excursion reviews sometime in October. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy1 said:

Thanks for the pics and feelings about Kotor. I knew the Celebrity vs go on own or other company excursion debate would surface. Your points are well understood and taken as good advice.

If we choose to go on our own is a possibility right at port I want to make clear, however she is most comfortable with Celebrity excursions, so I guess I am asking about both do it yourself/self guided recommendations and for Celebrity excursions too.

Again much thanks Kotor is on that must see list

If you cannot make up your mind, there are plenty of drivers waiting before you enter Old Town.  Our personal tour guide is not doing tours any longer because we tried to book him for last year.  Hopefully, those who have done a CE can share their thoughts; a small group would be a good one, IMHO, if it meets your criteria.  Also, just trying to give you a taste of the beauty of Montenegro as it is magical when sailing into this area, not to mention a beautiful Old Town and area with a wall that you can walk if the ship excursion does not work.  There is no wrong answer, just lots of drop-dead scenery!

Edited by Lastdance

I was on Reflection in June 2022 and went to Katakolon (Olympia), Corfu, Dubrovnik, Messina, Naples and Kotor. If you are interested I did a review of the cruise. I took Celebrity excursions in Messina and Kotor and the rest I DIY'd. I will also be going on Constellation this June to many of the ports and will be doing a review on my return.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2865871-the-adriatic-and-italy-on-celebrity-reflection-june-3-2022/#comments

Posted (edited)

May 2023 we visited Kotor Montenegro on the Beyond. Just after taking the tender to shore we walked into the tourist office and bought  tickets for the HOHO open air bus. Nice little tour. All of us got off at Perast &  bought the water taxi tickets to take us over to the small island where there is a lighthouse and a beautiful little church “Lady of the Rocks “ on the return we walked around Perast. Beautiful little village.  The drive along the bay is beautiful.  We were back to Kotor by 12p. Plenty of time to explore and have a leisurely lunch. IMG_2770.thumb.jpeg.ad146ca0ae84685b7b050f9bce5da6de.jpegIMG_2784.thumb.jpeg.c056fb4a0a554874c685ab52e0e1c623.jpegIMG_2809.thumb.jpeg.a7b28cf3eeb4cd65110f5506f4e87ab0.jpegIMG_2811.thumb.jpeg.f551651b965a3d1ebc106a340abb730d.jpegIMG_2821.thumb.jpeg.70cb2b18426c104cee0fd8b51f6dc0ca.jpegIMG_2822.thumb.jpeg.d70f2b4af9d7af5a68830ac86d7f963a.jpeg

Edited by mauimary
  • Like 1

In Kotor DH and I decided to wander about when a sign on a side street said "To the Fort 1 euro". Sounded like an interesting place to visit so up we went. Little did we know that the fort was at the top of the mountain! Many steps later we arrived to a beautiful vista overlooking the sea, but what a climb it was!

I was in Kotor yesterday on Queen Victoria which docked there. NCL Pearl was anchored nearby but Constellation was anchored well away from Kotor itself, so it pays to check how many other ships will be in port the same day as yours.