Bringing sand chairs on board

Getting them on the ship would be bad enough, but I cannot imagine having beach chairs in addition to luggage while fighting for an elevator and standing in lines to debark.  That said, for anyone who wants to try it, I do have two beach chairs that have built-in backpack straps. I would hate to share an elevator with anyone with one strapped to their back, though. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

We took the water taxi over to “town” and turned left, lol. Usually we go to the right but we mixed it up this last trip. The resorts and restaurants have people renting out the chairs and they usually include use of their facilities with the chair rentals. So we rented from the white resort on the left. Can’t remember the name but they had very clean bathrooms and a nice dining area outside. It’s easy to see if you taxi over. 

We did almost the same thing this past March. The difference was, we turned right. We sat in front of the Blue B!tch Bar, where we ended up having lunch based on a recommendation here. It was $40 for two chairs, an umbrella and I think 6 beverages.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Last year, out of Galveston, we saw a family bring a full size floor fan with them.  The Porter took it and tagged it.  He must have seen my look of disbelief because he just shook his head!

• Haha 2

On 5/29/2024 at 3:20 PM, GTO-Girl said:

No way are porters going to accept beach chairs!!

If you tip a porter, they will take anything. No issue with them. Just toss it on a luggage cart and let the security screeners and ship deal with it. 

20 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

We took the water taxi over to “town” and turned left, lol. Usually we go to the right but we mixed it up this last trip. The resorts and restaurants have people renting out the chairs and they usually include use of their facilities with the chair rentals. So we rented from the white resort on the left. Can’t remember the name but they had very clean bathrooms and a nice dining area outside. It’s easy to see if you taxi over. 

I am not sure where you are referring to....Do you know the name of beach? I have never been on the water taxi.

14 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We did almost the same thing this past March. The difference was, we turned right. We sat in front of the Blue B!tch Bar, where we ended up having lunch based on a recommendation here. It was $40 for two chairs, an umbrella and I think 6 beverages.

We usually turn right, just decided to try something different this last time. 

6 hours ago, BopRN said:

I am not sure where you are referring to....Do you know the name of beach? I have never been on the water taxi.

It's Great Bay Beach, the main beach in Phillipsburg. There is a water taxi at the cruise port that will take you to town. When you get off the taxi, the beach extends to the right and left. There are many options in both directions to grab beach chairs/umbrellas. There are also many restaurants and bars in both directions.

6 hours ago, BopRN said:

I have no idea what the beach is called but I promise, you can’t miss it. When you get off the ship there are signs for the water taxi, it’s usually about $7 pp for the whole day (go back and forth as many times as you like), or ask someone where the water taxi is. It’s easy to find. While on the taxi they will likely tell you to “my cousin David is to the left, see him for a good deal” or whatever and they’ll say he’s on the left/right. As soon as the water taxi docks you will see what I’m talking about here but it’s beach to the left and beach and to the right. You truly cannot miss it. Coming off the dock, people will be there selling excursions too. But we turn right/left and someone will approach you with an offer for one of the restaurants or resorts. 

13 hours ago, springgrl said:

Last year, out of Galveston, we saw a family bring a full size floor fan with them.  The Porter took it and tagged it.  He must have seen my look of disbelief because he just shook his head!

We bring, or used to bring, a regular square “box fan.” To each cruise we take. For the white noise and for the air circulation/coolness. I sleep hot and am in menopause and helps a lot. If we fly we just ask for one on the ship. Not nearly as crazy as you think it is. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

We usually turn right, just decided to try something different this last time. 

We've always gone left. Like you, we decided to try something different last time.

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

It's Great Bay Beach, the main beach in Phillipsburg. There is a water taxi at the cruise port that will take you to town. When you get off the taxi, the beach extends to the right and left. There are many options in both directions to grab beach chairs/umbrellas. There are also many restaurants and bars in both directions.

That is the beach where sewage gets dumped. You can see it going in just past Bobby's Marina. Often has high bacteria counts.

• Thanks 1

IMO, it depends on the type of beach/sand chair.  Something that goes into it's own carrying case? image.png.a5dd83ef8565233fd49b4bff3a8f99c3.png

I can see taking on board.  Something that just folds in half? 

image.png.beed2742ab67f2318f66dc49e112794f.png

Seems to be "too much" for me, but if someone wants to bring it?  Who cares.  They have to deal with it.