Flight Ease: Do I have to book my departure and return flights at the same time?

I will be departing and returning from different cities, more than 18 days apart.  I once tried to book a return flight on Princess' EZ Air (that looks to be the same as Holland America's Flight Ease), a few weeks after I had booked the departure flight, but the system wouldn't let me without cancelling the departure flight I had already booked.  This time, on HAL Flight Ease, I would like to get my departure flight booked first, and then work on my return flight later.  Can I do that?  And if so, how?

In all honesty you really want to book them at the same time. Once you have booked air one way or round trip it locks up the reservation for any changes. Their system does not allow a return or second flight unless you cancel the first. You will have problems just like you did with Princess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I will be departing and returning from different cities, more than 18 days apart.  I once tried to book a return flight on Princess' EZ Air (that looks to be the same as Holland America's Flight Ease), a few weeks after I had booked the departure flight, but the system wouldn't let me without cancelling the departure flight I had already booked.  This time, on HAL Flight Ease, I would like to get my departure flight booked first, and then work on my return flight later.  Can I do that?  And if so, how?

I believe you can call and they can add you the return flight at a later time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I believe you can call and they can add you the return flight at a later time.

You can call to have it done, but they will cancel the first flights and rebook. At that time, you're subject to a price increase if there has been one. They don't just add the return leg...🙄

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

You can call to have it done, but they will cancel the first flights and rebook. At that time, you're subject to a price increase if there has been one. They don't just add the return leg...🙄

Yikes!

I’ve twice booked flight ease flights one way and did the return later.  Both times flying to point A, and leaving from Point B.  Both cruises are long cruises.  So I like to secure the one going there as soon as it opens to book, then when my return is able to book, I book that.  I go back and checked flights just for pricing and all my flights have increased significantly since I booked them, and we are flying economy.  

• Like 1

My advise would be to check an “open jaw” booking first on Google flights or ITA matrix, this is a flight booking to one city returning from another. It will nearly always be significantly cheaper then doing two flights separately. 

Then you can always check what HAL is offering and decide if its worth booking with them. I like to book directly with the airline to eliminate the middle man and let me keep control of my booking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

I like to book directly with the airline to eliminate the middle man and let me keep control of my booking.

So do I, but it looks as if Flight Ease will be much cheaper, at least on the outbound flight, than booking directly through the airline.

10 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

So do I, but it looks as if Flight Ease will be much cheaper, at least on the outbound flight, than booking directly through the airline.

Are you still looking at separate flights because with the airline they will always( in our case) be way more expensive a KLM single flight is often more expensive than an open jaw return. As there is only 18 days between flights I would wait until you can check return flights and then if F.E. is still much cheaper make your choice.

32 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

And one big advantage is Flight Ease trips are flexible until final cruise payment.  Reasonable priced airline fares are usually noncancellable, no refundable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woofbite said:

And one big advantage is Flight Ease trips are flexible until final cruise payment.  Reasonable priced airline fares are usually noncancellable, no refundable.

That is the primary reason we book with FE, you can make changes and cancel anytime until final payment with no penalty. We used FE for our upcoming August cruise on the Volendam for BC seats. We are flying from San Antonio to Boston and then home from Quebec City,  4days after we get off the ship in Montreal. Originally we booked outbound to Boston on United connecting in Houston and home from QC on American. We got a good BC fare but then United changed flights and left us with less than 45 minutes connection in Houston. With FE we were able to make changes and then book RT on American at the same cost. Then two weeks from final payment last month, American ran a sale, and we could book the same tickets for $600 less and we canceled FE booking and booked direct with AA. All of this could not have been done with booking direct with the airlines.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Are you still looking at separate flights because with the airline they will always( in our case) be way more expensive a KLM single flight is often more expensive than an open jaw return. As there is only 18 days between flights I would wait until you can check return flights and then if F.E. is still much cheaper make your choice.

Are you saying that you can book open-jaw on Flight Ease?

40 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Now that is a very good question however I am afraid I can’t confirm if this is possible however I don’t see why not. They are the ones providing the cruise so they should be able to arrange your transport too.

I am sure someone who has experience with this will chime in soon. I see with the comments above from terrydtx that there many more possibilities with flights in the US than in/from Europe. All I can say is do your homework and if booking with F.E. make  sure you know all the possibilities/flights first.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I thought someone posted in another thread about Flight Ease that they could book the other direction if they had a one way ticketed, if they called.

Edited by ChinaShrek

21 hours ago, islandwoman said:

You not only can book open-jaw, you can pick flights within 30 days before and after cruise dates and in and out of any cities HAL serves.  For example,we once booked flights to Amsterdam, took a river boat to Budapest, land toured to Barcelona, sailed back to Ft. Lauderdale and flew home.  All flights were booked through Flight Ease.

• Like 3