Sail away Encore and Cagneys resv 530?

I’m cruising to Alaska this summer on the Encore. I’ve only cruised once before on the Breakaway. In this group of 6 ppl, I’m the only one that’s done a previous cruise. I’ve somehow been appointed as the Cruise guide/director. I made resv for 530 at Cagneys on sail away. Now I’m wondering if we will have access to our rooms/luggage at that time to prep for dinner? Times online for group of 6 were very limited, should I try to change time once on board? Is window seating available for 6seats in Cagneys to watch sail away? 

IMO, better to make you rezzies for after sail away.  Do you really want to miss sail away?

You won't be able to reserve a window seat.  If you are in a suite, you will likely be seated at a window though.

• Like 1

You  may not sail at your scheduled departure time.  Last night in Seattle for example a ship was scheduled to sail at 5:00 P.M. and did not sail until 6:45 P.M.  All kinds of things can delay a departure.

To answer your question, your luggage should arrive between 4:30 P.M. and 5:00 P.M.  Again delays can happen.  Have things in your carry-on that you can wear if needed.  Dress codes on Embarkation night are not strictly enforced in some restaurants.

We wouldn't want to miss an Alaskan sail away. Is it really that important when/where you eat? If you must eat at Cagney's on embarkation day (not sure why), I would attempt to change to a later time once on board.

The dress code for Cagneys is the same as the less formal MDR, and the same as everywhere on the first night.  As long as you are wearing clothing and shoes, you will have no issue.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Calicoskies1234 said:

I’m cruising to Alaska this summer on the Encore. I’ve only cruised once before on the Breakaway. In this group of 6 ppl, I’m the only one that’s done a previous cruise. I’ve somehow been appointed as the Cruise guide/director. I made resv for 530 at Cagneys on sail away. Now I’m wondering if we will have access to our rooms/luggage at that time to prep for dinner? Times online for group of 6 were very limited, should I try to change time once on board? Is window seating available for 6seats in Cagneys to watch sail away? 

You will normally have access to  your room around 2:00-2:30. Your bags will show up 3:00-4:00. I would never haul around dinner clothes in my handcarry. 

While Cagney's has windows, a 6-top table is likely going to be buried in the restaurant away from the windows which have 2-tops and 4-tops. 

On the Encore, you can wear shorts to all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where the ship requests that gents wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine). So, Cagney's allows shorts. And there is no "less formal MDR". 

This was a live post from my Encore Alaska cruise last season. We'll be back on the Encore to Alaska this summer. 

Edited by BirdTravels

19 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

We wouldn't want to miss an Alaskan sail away. Is it really that important when/where you eat? If you must eat at Cagney's on embarkation day (not sure why), I would attempt to change to a later time once on board.

The reason I made this resv is that options were very limited for party of 6 and days we are doing excursions I didn’t want a fancy dinner resv to worry about. I was thinking we’d all be excited to celebrate our first cruise together and have a great dinner on the first night. I don’t want to be the cruise planner but if I don’t make plans with this group nothing would get reserved or planned. I will try to chg the time to later once onboard when I go first thing to make MDR resv. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You will normally have access to  your room around 2:00-2:30. Your bags will show up 3:00-4:00. I would never haul around dinner clothes in my handcarry. 

While Cagney's has windows, a 6-top table is likely going to be buried in the restaurant away from the windows which have 2-tops and 4-tops. 

On the Encore, you can wear shorts to all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where the ship requests that gents wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine). So, Cagney's allows shorts. And there is no "less formal MDR". 

This was a live post from my Encore Alaska cruise last season. We'll be back on the Encore to Alaska this summer. 

By dinner clothes I mostly mean a fresh shirt, pants and some makeup/cologne lol. We are not packing any formal or fancy clothes. 

• Thanks 1

We normally eat first night aboard at Cagney's.  Often they are less busy the first night.  

We just always know we will eat a big lunch upon boarding and have a busy afternoon settling in, then want some time to celebrate and enjoy the sail away before having dinner.

We usually reserve around 6:30 or 7:00.  We try to catch the Welcome Aboard Show later when offered.  

Whatever you do, have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calicoskies1234 said:

I don’t want to be the cruise planner but if I don’t make plans with this group nothing would get reserved or planned.

Been there, done that. Good luck.

23 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

I wouldn’t worry about missing sail away from Seattle.  

16 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why would you worry about a dinner reservation?

We hv full days in ports we’ve not been to before. I wld stress abt being back and dressed in time. Also one other couple bought extra specialty dinners so days we are all together are only a few. 

On 6/2/2024 at 8:51 AM, BirdTravels said:

And there is no "less formal MDR". 

Has this changed? Or are you speaking only of Encore? I ask, because I know on Getaway and Breakaway the Tropicana/Manhattan Rooms require the same attire as Le Bistro/Ocean Blue. Thank you!

On 6/1/2024 at 10:46 AM, Calicoskies1234 said:

this has nothing to do with your question, but do not forget to take binoculars.  You will be able to see many whales and other wildlife in the waters during your sailing.  Also, it will be daylight for many many hours.  I dont think the sun even sets this time of year before 9pm in Alaska.  Sunsets over the waters are just amazing

2 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

this has nothing to do with your question, but do not forget to take binoculars.  You will be able to see many whales and other wildlife in the waters during your sailing.  Also, it will be daylight for many many hours.  I dont think the sun even sets this time of year before 9pm in Alaska.  Sunsets over the waters are just amazing

We bought new binocs to bring with us. Also got a gimbal handle for the phone.