Requested dinner reservations

Lojay2

We are sailing on Oceania for the first time this fall. We are in concierge class and travel agent asked me for my preferred time for dinner reservations for each night of the cruise as well as which night we preferred for the specialty restaurants. She told me that she would handle it. I have also read that people go on at 12:01 to make their own reservations 

Should I be doing this online or does she have a contact at Oceania that she goes through? 

Can changes be made once onboard?

Do you share tables?

As you can see, lots of questions and concerns. I know there are only 1250 quests and I am wondering how hard it is to get your requested time other than 9 pm.  Please give some insight as to how and what to do.   

Thank you 

As you are in concierge, you get to make your reservations for the Specialities, after those in higher grade cabins but before those in lower grade. They will become available to your online account 60  days before departure. My advice is to log on as early as possible on this date to give yourself the best opportunity of getting what you want.

We were also in concierge on our recent cruise and had no problem making reservations for tables for two on the days and times we wanted. My only note of caution is that I understand many Americans like to eat dinner early so there may well be more restricted opportunity for 6.30 reservations. 

I don't think my travel agent would make reservations for us but, again, I know the North American travel agency industry is very different to that here. But, in any event, dining is an important part of our cruise and booking reservations isnt something I would want to leave to anyone else. Not least,as it's a very straightforward process and only takes a few minutes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not knowing your TA and their methods and response time it's hard to answer this. My first inclination would be to say do it yourself. You might give them some dates and times that might possibly not be available, and you might end up with just what's easy for them to book for you. 

Changes can be made prior to being onboard and can be changed onboard. Whether or not we share tables depends on what time is available. Our first priority is eating early as possible, which usually is 6:30 on the specialties. Then it depends on what's happening that day, did we have a tour, what time did we get back, how long is our cruise, etc. We also like to spread our reservations out over the cruise. We prefer to not do specialties two nights in a row. We also prefer to not do them the night before embarkation, especially if we're traveling home the next day. 

Bottom line is I'd do it myself. It's not really that difficult. 

• Like 3

Only your Specialty reservations have a reservation time, dining in any other restaurant is Open Seating so no reservations required nor available. Restaurants open at 6:30 and there is usually a queue that is gone in perhaps 15 minutes. 
Since you are on a ship with 4 Specialty restaurants, you definitely can go on line approximately 12:01ish and make your own reservations and let your TA do any “CleanUp”  of times, etc. if you have any problems. If you are willing to Share, it is normally easy to get your desired times. Yes you can get Two Tops but it might be a bit later after the earlier guests get seated. 
Enjoy your first O adventure 

Mauibabes

Also, do not book a Specialty reservation on Embarkation Day, you can check at the Reservation Desk upon boarding and request a reservation in any of the Specialties with availability. This extra reservation does not count against your 4 Specialty Reservations allocation. 😇🤞🙏

Enjoy,

Mauibabes 

Posted (edited)

After years of reading these boards this is the first time I have heard of a TA making the specialty reservations.  Not saying they won't but I would check in with them to be sure. If they are not O regulars they may not realize the difficulty it can be for certain reservations.  In a concierge cabin there is a good chance that all early two top reservations will already be gone even if you get online in the first few minutes of your window.  More importantly someone will need to make fast decisions in those first few minutes like would I rather eat alone at 8pm or share a table and eat at 7.  These are decisions I would prefer to make myself.  Of course, you are guaranteed at least one reservation in each specialty even if you wait until your cruise to reserve (and we have found it possible for additional reservations if you work at it,) but that does not mean four two tops by a window at 6:30.  Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Woofa
Spelling
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I always make my own reservations. But I'm almost always in the last group to book, so I need to be flexible and fast.  I usually just go for sharing a table.  Time to me is important; sittng with others or with only my travel partner isn't. Occasionally I look a bit later to see if anything better has opened up.  It does happen but not often.  And yes, you can make changes online pre-cruise (delete existing first, ake new one) or ask about possible changes when you embark the ship.  

@Adornme75

go on line at midnight EST on the date you are allowed to book Specialties and try your luck. If you are willing to share and a bit flexible on the time, you should do well. If you have any problems with the reservation system, call your TA or Oceania directly in the morning for assistance. We don’t usually have issues but it is possible. As I mentioned previously, do not bother to book a Specialty restaurant on the first night, they are always available so just go to the Reservations Desk when you board to see what is available. It is an easy way to get an extra dinner in one of them. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

3 hours ago, Whatsup1 said:

I’ve always booked dining online as soon as the site allows.  This improves your chance of getting date/time, and table preference.

Plus if you turn it over to TA if your first choice isn't available, then what?

11 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@Adornme75

go on line at midnight EST on the date you are allowed to book Specialties and try your luck. 

Anybody else think this restaurant booking merry-go-round, musical chair game to book restaurants is ridiculous on a semi-luxury cruise line?  Either they need larger restaurants or more of them or something. Our first Oceania cruise is in August and I'm already dreading it.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

Anybody else think this restaurant booking merry-go-round, musical chair game to book restaurants is ridiculous on a semi-luxury cruise line?  Either they need larger restaurants or more of them or something. Our first Oceania cruise is in August and I'm already dreading it.

One reason I like smaller ships like O's is that everything is small, including the specialty restaurants.  Staying up a half hour or so later to book (I'm on East Coast), and spending 15 minutes once a year or whatever, is worth enjoying my meal, and the entire cruise experience in general.  There's no need to dread the booking experience.  The worst case scenario is that you have to eat at 8 or 9 a couple nights, unless/until you board the ship and go in person to ask about making changes. I haven't needed to do that yet, but if I do, I'm not worried about it.  

Edited by roothy123
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

It really isn’t that difficult. Booking slots open at 75, 60 or 45 days prior to your cruise depending on the grade of cabin, which I think is a pretty fair way to go. We have had 60 &75 day slots. I never stay up. I have never had to book 9pm slots. I’m flexible in that we will happily share.

As has been said above one of the joys of small ships is that everything is smaller. Larger restaurants wouldn’t have the same ambience.

The important thing to remember is that nothing is ‘set in stone’. If you aren’t happy with your reservations you can see if they can be changed once onboard.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mauibabes said:

As I mentioned previously, do not bother to book a Specialty restaurant on the first night, they are always available so just go to the Reservations Desk when you board to see what is available. It is an easy way to get an extra dinner in one of them. 

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Stop saying always!!! 🤬

Do a little analysis on your specific cruise, if you’re interested in that additional first night Specialty. Is your cruise still showing availability? Is your cruise in essence a repeat of the prior cruise, and out of a major port where 90+% of the passengers are embarking with you? Then yes, most often one can get that first night extra reservation.

However, is your cruise sitting in the middle, or back end, of a listed Extended Journey that is sold out?  Are you boarding in a minor port? Is your segment short (7-10 days) or a longer one? Do a little analysis. If you’re in this latter group, everyone on board has had the opportunity to book that night before you step aboard. I’ve been on multiple segment cruises where only 25-30% of the passengers are newly boarded. Trust me, there are no additional tables for those newly embarked.

If Embarkment Day is a special one for you; Anniversary, Birthday,etc., and you really want that Specialty, then book it early. Pay zero attention to people who tell you that you can always do something. Truth is, you can’t.

• Like 5

OK Pinot, so “Always” is a wrong word to use because you identify a lot of possibilities where a person may not luck out. I have never not gotten a first night reservation so maybe we are just lucky. Woof, all those of us who suggest trying to book after midnight on the prescribed day are telling you is that it is a way to ensure you are at the front of the line getting your reservations. I do not know how other lines like Princess or HAL or Viking operate so I only relate to the Oceania process for reservations. If you are dreading it, I sure hope you have a great time anyway as O is a superior product to those others. Go with a positive attitude and ENJOY. 
Mauibabes

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

OK Pinot, so “Always” is a wrong word to use because you identify a lot of possibilities where a person may not luck out. I have never not gotten a first night reservation so maybe we are just lucky. Woof, all those of us who suggest trying to book after midnight on the prescribed day are telling you is that it is a way to ensure you are at the front of the line getting your reservations. I do not know how other lines like Princess or HAL or Viking operate so I only relate to the Oceania process for reservations. If you are dreading it, I sure hope you have a great time anyway as O is a superior product to those others. Go with a positive attitude and ENJOY. 
Mauibabes

I believe you changed stories midstream. I always book my Specialty dining reservations at 12:01 EST on the first day allowed, and recommend others do the same. That is a completely different situation than advising people, on some cruises, that first night extra reservations will “ always “ be available. There are situations where they indeed will be, and situations where they will not be. My advice is to analyze your specific cruise and attempt to decide what the best options are for you and proceed accordingly. 

I always board the ship with a positive attitude and reasonable expectations based on past experiences. I therefore enjoy my cruises immensely. 🥂

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Stop saying always!!! 🤬

Do a little analysis on your specific cruise, if you’re interested in that additional first night Specialty. Is your cruise still showing availability? Is your cruise in essence a repeat of the prior cruise, and out of a major port where 90+% of the passengers are embarking with you? Then yes, most often one can get that first night extra reservation.

However, is your cruise sitting in the middle, or back end, of a listed Extended Journey that is sold out?  Are you boarding in a minor port? Is your segment short (7-10 days) or a longer one? Do a little analysis. If you’re in this latter group, everyone on board has had the opportunity to book that night before you step aboard. I’ve been on multiple segment cruises where only 25-30% of the passengers are newly boarded. Trust me, there are no additional tables for those newly embarked.

If Embarkment Day is a special one for you; Anniversary, Birthday,etc., and you really want that Specialty, then book it early. Pay zero attention to people who tell you that you can always do something. Truth is, you can’t.

Concur with your suggestions.  We can vouch that Speciality reservations on embarkment day are never a guarantee.  We have often booked on embarkation day as have found that the Grand Dining Room and the Terrace can be very hectic.  Best to analyze your itinerary and your personal preferences.  

• Thanks 1

@pinotlover

my mistake for lumping too many thoughts together. You are right on👍 and an outstanding resource. I was sharing thoughts more specifically for Woofbite who seemed to be approaching things with negativity. IMHO he should be surprised with his upcoming O cruise, especially if his past experiences are with HAL or Princess. 
mahalo,

Mauibabes

4 hours ago, Woofbite said:

Yeah, it'd probably be better to cruise on those lines that charge you to eat in the Specialties. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Woofbite said:

Is it ridiculous on a true luxury cruise line? Regent does the exact same thing. 

8 hours ago, Woofbite said:

Some few years ago I got a res at a pretty world famous restaurant. Opening at 90 days out. No problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

Some few years ago I got a res at a pretty world famous restaurant. Opening at 90 days out. No problem.

I'm really lost as to what that has anything to do with Oceania reservations. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I'm really lost as to what that has anything to do with Oceania reservations. 

Sorry about that.

• Haha 1

I suggest you book the specialties on your own at midnight on the date it opens for you.  We were in Concierge on Nautica in November and were only able to book 2-top non-share at 8:30 or later at the opening moment at midnight.

You can give dates and times to your agent....doesn't mean they will be available.  By the time they talk to you about it.....there may be nothing left.

• Like 1