Help Boarding/Having a Walker Onboard

My mom is going to need to use a walker while onboard. Do we need to get permission ahead of time to bring that onboard?

Do they offer any boarding assistance? 

This is all very new so thank you all for any advice. 

Yes, they offer a wheel chair and will push her onboard and assuming the walker folds up you can carry it until you board.  You don't need to tell them about a walker.  They are only concerned about scooters and wheelchairs and whether they fit through the doors.  You will need to get in touch with the special needs department to request this service.

• Like 1

My father used a walker on the Quantum last summer. I don't recall that they needed "permission," but my parents did have a handicap room. There was someone available to push my dad in a wheelchair (provided by the port/Royal) up the boarding ramp. He didn't do that, but he wished he did. The ramps are very steep and difficult to navigate with a walker.

Just as a heads up, I know the elevators seemed to always fill up on the way to dinner. You might tell your mom to try to head down to her meals a little early to make getting elevator space a little easier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjmbruce said:

My mom is going to need to use a walker while onboard. Do we need to get permission ahead of time to bring that onboard?

Do they offer any boarding assistance? 

This is all very new so thank you all for any advice. 

My sister always has her walker.  No need to notify anyone.  Super easy.  It folds up, so just in the cabin at night.

MY DH uses a walker onboard. We have not had to notify anyone.  We flag his reservation that he needs assistance with embarkation/disembarkation.  When we get to check-in he gets wheelchair assistance.  We found the easiest thing to do was for me to push his walker onboard from there.  It has the advantage that I can put my purse and small tote on the "seat." Easier than folding and carrying it onboard. YMMV

You should hop over to the Disabled Cruise Travel forum.   There are many, many people on that board who use assistive devices and can offer in put. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

But in any event, take a look at Royal's accessibility link.   Many of your questions will be answered there.   And you will want to complete the Special Needs Form.  The reason for completing this form is to let Royal know there is someone in the stateroom who needs assistance in the event of an emergency.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising

And as many have said, take advantage of the wheelchair pushers for embarking and disembarking.  The ramps are long and often steep.  Depending on your Mom's abilities, you might consider renting a wheelchair for her to use (with someone else pushing her) when she gets tired walking (you can rent one and it will be in your stateroom when you arrive).  There is nothing close when you have mobility issues:   the ships are huge, the docks at port stops are often very long and then there's walking around the port on top of all the walking just to get there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to go a bit off topic. We were recently on Icon and very surprised at several scooters left in the hallway. Sometimes trying to navigate around them, the steward service carts, peoples room service trays made the hallway a maze.

I have always thought that scooters because of a fire hazard weren't to be left in hallways...right?

Don't get me started on those that thought it was fine to leave their room service trays out. 

• Like 1