What will Carnival name the P&O ships?

Since Carnival is getting Pacific Adventure and Pacific Encounter in 2025, what do you think the ships be named?

The path of least resistance would be simply to rename them to Carnival Adventure and Carnival Encounter, but having the shore excursions branded as "Carnival Adventures" is highly problematic.

Reusing old ship names may not work here either given that the two Excel class ships scheduled for 2027-2028 will likely pull form the remaining of Carnival's original seven ships (Carnivale, Festivale, Tropicale, Holiday). The Fantasy class will also presumably still exist, but could some of Elation's and Paradise's late sisters be fair game? Ecstasy would probably be out as she briefly returned to service post-shutdown. Fantasy would be out because the class is still in use. Fascination, Sensation, Imagination, and Inspiration might work here. I don't think Destiny, Triumph, or Victory would work here for varying reasons.

I also think that Carnival could add a third Fun Italian style ship by renaming Pacific Adventure to Carnival Grandiosa and theming it to Rome. This also serves as a nod to the ship having been built as part of the Grand class. If Grandiosa is problematic from a marketing standpoint, Carnival Vicenza could work here as a nod to the ship having been the Golden Princess, and any theming could be to the Vicenza region.

Luminosa could also join the Italian-style fun by being themed to Ostuni, the less famous "City of Light" in Italy, since Venice is already spoken for in the fleet - or you could just copy the Venetian theming on Venezia since few will be likely to sail both Venezia and Luminosa.

For Pacific Explorer I'd be more inclined to roll with Carnival Explorer. The Star name will be getting quite the workout in 2025 with both Star Princess and Star of the Seas so Carnival Star likely isn't an option. If you want an outright new name, maybe something like Carnival Solaris? This might also be time to use Carnival Brilliance, which presumably would have been the new name for Costa Magica had she joined the Carnival fleet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

For Pacific Explorer I'd be more inclined to roll with Carnival Explorer.

The Pacific Explorer will become the late Pacific Explorer. It will be exiting the fleet. Yet to be seen if razor blades await.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tidecat said:

Carnival is getting Pacific Adventure and Pacific Encounter in 2025

When I saw this, I thought, "what am I missing here?"  I try to keep up with cruise news like this, but I obviously missed this.  Here's an article that covers the news:  Carnival Cruise Line to Absorb P&O Australia in 2025 - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

TL,DR:  P&O Australia to go the way of Fathom (remember them?), Pacific Encounter and Pacific Adventure will be absorbed by Carnival, Pacific Explorer will "exit the fleet" as @SinbadThePorter noted above.

This has some very interesting ramifications.  I guess Carnival has a good brand reputation in Australia.  That said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see at least one of the ships currently based in Australia to be pulled out and used elsewhere.  Fearless Leader Josh Weinstein hinted as much in the press release quoted by Cruise Industry News in the article above.

51 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

That said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see at least one of the ships currently based in Australia to be pulled out and used elsewhere.  Fearless Leader Josh Weinstein hinted as much in the press release quoted by Cruise Industry News in the article above.

from your lips.....

Posted (edited)

Judging by the "conversion" of the Costa ships, they'll wire-wheel P&O off the side of the ship, ask the Captain to scratch P&O off his business card, move the registry to Nassau or Panama, and call it a Carnival ship.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cruising89143 said:

you listed the same link twice.   Is there another one?

25 minutes ago, Cruising89143 said:

Thanks for sharing that article.

As for whether they're staying in Australia, I found this quote from the article you quoted above quite telling (emphasis mine):

Duffy said cost was a ‘big headwind’ that helped lead to the decision to absorb the P&O Australia ships, given higher operating and regulatory costs and operating a small brand that can’t move its vessels out of the region.

So, if part of the reason why P&O was gobbled up is that they couldn't move their ships, and Carnival is a brand that operates worldwide and moves their ships around quite often, it seems to me that eventually there's going to be some movement by the Australian ships Carnival controls.  They won't do it before March 2025, and the ex-P&O ships might stick around for a year or two after that.  But I'm convinced there will be some changes there.

49 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

As for whether they're staying in Australia, I found this quote from the article you quoted above quite telling (emphasis mine):

Duffy said cost was a ‘big headwind’ that helped lead to the decision to absorb the P&O Australia ships, given higher operating and regulatory costs and operating a small brand that can’t move its vessels out of the region.

So, if part of the reason why P&O was gobbled up is that they couldn't move their ships, and Carnival is a brand that operates worldwide and moves their ships around quite often, it seems to me that eventually there's going to be some movement by the Australian ships Carnival controls.  They won't do it before March 2025, and the ex-P&O ships might stick around for a year or two after that.  But I'm convinced there will be some changes there.

It sure fits to do just that, but we will see.

• Like 1

Carnival Encounter & Carnival Adventure.

It's hard to imagine these Grand-class ships wearing Carnival colors...especially their funnels. But with the recent incorporation of Costa ships into the Carnival brand, I suppose everyone is getting used to Carnival ships without the whale tail funnels.

Has anyone seen a rendering of the ships in Carnival's livery?

• Like 1

They won’t be getting whale tail funnels, it’s just not plausible on this class of ship and Carnival won’t go through that much trouble. Just look at Luminosa. This is most likely what they will look like. It’s really not terrible honestly. 

3132C7CD-90D5-4738-B7D1-D472E012B0F9.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see at least one of the ships currently based in Australia to be pulled out and used elsewhere.

My guess if they are moving any ship around would be Pacific Encounter. The reason why I say this is that the Pacific Adventure had her funnel shorten so that it could fit under the Sydney harbour bridge to get to White Bay. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

A lot of us in Australia think just that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

They won’t be getting whale tail funnels, it’s just not plausible on this class of ship and Carnival won’t go through that much trouble. Just look at Luminosa. This is most likely what they will look like. It’s really not terrible honestly. 

3132C7CD-90D5-4738-B7D1-D472E012B0F9.jpeg

Aloha. An excellent rendering thank you.  Blessed to sail when one was the Star Princess. 

6 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

A lot of us in Australia think just that.

I would not read too much into the statement either way.  That said, the reason they did it, according to the releases anyway is flexibility and that the demand is truly under the flagship brand.  Supply and demand are two magnets attracting.  Whether that means they stay after March and relieve some pressure from the current funnel ships serving that market, or they flex to new markets world wide remains to be seen.  How the people down under accept all these changes is up to them.  I would love to see occupancy and profit numbers for these ships, that would speak volumes.