Newbie 1 star mariner - Is there still a welcome onboard lunch

I read in the Loyalty perks that even a 1-star Mariners will still get a welcome lunch. Is it still available? 

I heard that HAL is not doing MDR embarkation lunch anymore, but what is this perk about? 

Would love to be able to take advantage of this perk if it is still available. Thank you for any information. 

Posted (edited)

You probably won't find out for sure whether the MDR is open for lunch on. your embarkation day until you actually embark, and chances are it won't be.  I think it's pretty well been phased out.  If you are on a Pinnacle ship, I suggest having your embarkation lunch at the Grand Dutch Cafe.  Delicious, lovely venue, and not as "crazy" as the lido.  If any other ship, there is always the possibility of getting burgers and fries at the Dive-In and eating next to one of the pools, weather permitting.  Other than that, the lido buffet is pretty much it for embarkation lunch.  I used to love going to the MDR for the relaxed atmosphere and to get away from all the craziness of embarkation, but in recent years I actually started getting bored in there when lunch was taking upwards of an hour.  And as said, the "welcome aboard" lunch (which wasn't anything special, really, as far as "perks" go...) is being phased out if it isn't already gone.

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 3

So, is there still a welcome lunch of some sort - maybe later on during the cruise - for the Mariners Society perk? As 1 star though 🙂 

2 minutes ago, seapad said:

So, is there still a welcome lunch of some sort - maybe later on during the cruise - for the Mariners Society perk? As 1 star though 🙂 

I've been on I think 6 cruises since the comeback after Covid, and none of them have had any mariner lunch or brunch, sadly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seapad said:

It is my experience that Mariner Lunches are now only on cruises exceeding 15 days.

Since you will be on the Koningsdam, the NY Deli & Pizza, overlooking the Deck 9 indoor pool, is a good lunch option on Embarkation Day as well as breakfast on other days. 

NY Deli & Pizza Menu

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

It is my experience that Mariner Lunches are now only on cruises exceeding 15 days.

Since you will be on the Koningsdam, the NY Deli & Pizza, overlooking the Deck 9 indoor pool, is a good lunch option on Embarkation Day as well as breakfast on other days. 

NY Deli & Pizza Menu

Thank you so much!

3 minutes ago, seapad said:

Thank you so much!

YW.  I was on the Koningsdam in Alaska the last week of April.  Here are some items that may be helpful:

Alaska 7-Day Koningsdam Daily Programs 2024

Alaska MDR Menus 2024 Including Sea Day Brunch

FWIW Dressy Nights are Days 2 and 5.

If you click on the links in the lower right of my signature, you will access all of the bar menus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 2:00 PM, Crew News said:

NY Deli & Pizza Menu

We will be on this ship in Dec. Is that near Lido? Trying to avoid the mass buffet on embarkation if at all possible. Any chance one of the extra cost restaurant will be open? I know some cruise lines have that as an option but it's been years since we've done HAL.

26 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

We will be on this ship in Dec. Is that near Lido? Trying to avoid the mass buffet on embarkation if at all possible. Any chance one of the extra cost restaurant will be open? I know some cruise lines have that as an option but it's been years since we've done HAL.

Get out your deck plans...it will help with the lack of a tour for you. Of course, wondering the ship is part of the fun.

The Deli is, as described in the post you quoted, on the 10th deck, midship, overlooking the Lido Pool. The Lido buffet is 9th deck, aft of the Lido Pool.

None of the extra charge restaurants will be open for lunch on boarding day.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 10:49 AM, Crew News said:

The MDR is now closed on Embarkation Day on all HAL ships.

The MDR was surprisingly open for lunch on our embarkation day on the Zaandam for the 28-day Amazon Explorer in February 2024.  First time we've been able to have lunch on embarkation day in the MDR post pandemic.  We also had a mariner society brunch, which was quite good!

Edited by Big Dawg CC

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Big Dawg CC said:

The MDR was surprisingly open for lunch on our embarkation day on the Zaandam for the 28-day Amazon Explorer in February 2024.  First time we've been able to have lunch on embarkation day in the MDR post pandemic.  We also had a mariner society brunch, which was quite good!

The closed MDR on Embarkation Day policy for the entire fleet was in place before my April 2024 Alaska cruise.

Edited by Crew News

2 hours ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Trying to avoid the mass buffet on embarkation if at all possible. Any chance one of the extra cost restaurant will be open?

No, but in addition to the Lido, the Dive-In will be open for lunch; it serves excellent quality fast food, cooked to order, like burgers and hot dogs.  You can eat at the tables by the pool or take the food back to your cabin.  If you are on a Pinnacle Class ship, the Grand Dutch Cafe may also be open on embarkation day, but I can't say for sure.  And of course, there is also room service available.

• Like 1

Sad to hear the embarkation MDR lunch is no longer being done, it was available on our Koningsdam cruise last November. I hate being herded like cattle in the Lido for lunch with hundreds of fellow passengers monopolizing every table and chair.

• Like 2

Dutch Cafe for lunch.  Keep in mind, you do pay for coffee at DC, but not for the food.  It is probably just enough to hold you over until dinner.  

• Like 1