Viking cabins

Bo1331

Looking to book our first river cruise and will hopefully be going Paris to Prague next April.  I see Viking has a standard room with an upper window  (150 sf) and a French Balcony (135 sf).  Puzzled why the less expensive room is larger in size.

I believe because hallway is offset on those floors with the French balcony rooms  smaller due to the balcony rooms on the other side of the hall,  while lower level rooms, w are the same size on both sides of hallway.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Bo1331 said:

Puzzled why the less expensive room is larger in size.

It's not.

Viking measure to the window pane. Floor space is the same. You can use window sill to put things on, but you'll cut out some natural light. Windows on the water line cabins are deeply recessed because below the windows is under the water and so the outside wall there is the ship's hull.

As one spends little time in ones cabin (take away meals, excursions, briefings and entertainments there is little time for cabins), also there's not much room until you get a veranda room, or suite.

I've stayed in waterline, French window, veranda and suites with Viking, and now book French window*.

I'm OK with waterline cabins but Mrs P is too short to see out and finds them claustrophobic. If it's a choice between waterline and French balcony, and you are willing to spend the extra, go for French balcony. If you'd prefer to spend the money on other things, the waterline cabin is fitted out just the same and has the same usable floor space.

* I didn't know first time I booked French balcony, but there is no balcony. It's a floor to ceiling window that can be opened. Fear not, there's a railing to stop you walking into the river!

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

The cabin small with French Balcony...not sure what other River Cruise Lines sizes but next time I will compare.   We have done 5 and one more booked with Viking in a French balcony.  You can adjust but the cabin does not even have a chair only a vanity stool.

The standard room also known by some as the Aquarium Cabin or on deck 1 are the same size in floor space as @pontac indicated.

We have stayed in the deck one, deck, two and deck three cabins.  None of them balcony but on deck 2 and 3 they are French Balcony.

We pay extra for the French Balcony cabins because we feel claustrophobic in the deck one cabins.  BUT, if you are not so inclined, and you only sleep in your cabin, these are a cost savings.

Posted (edited)

If you look at the room diagrams, the lowest level (aquarium class) and french balconies have the exact same amount of interior floor space, but the aquarium class has an almost 2 foot wide bump out under the high windows.  French balcony rooms don't have the bumpout, as the the window is right there.  It's easy to compare the actual floor space--just look at the amount of space on the side of the bed nearest the outer wall of the room.

The 150 sf in aquarium class includes the square footage of the bump out, which you cannot walk on , but it creates usable shelf space.

Edited by sharkster77

10 hours ago, deec said:

The cabin small with French Balcony...not sure what other River Cruise Lines sizes but next time I will compare.

We have cruised on Avalon, so I can tell you that their middle and upper level French balcony panoramic cabins are 200 square feet. I can't remember right now what the square footage of the rooms on the lower level is.

2 hours ago, CielBleu said:

We have cruised on Avalon, so I can tell you that their middle and upper level French balcony panoramic cabins are 200 square feet. I can't remember right now what the square footage of the rooms on the lower level is.

Many river cruise ships tend to have bigger cabins.  Only putting 150-160 passengers on the same-size ship, rather than 190, tends to give you more room everywhere!

• Like 1

The actual cabin space is the same for all, the difference is that the balcony cabin has a small balcony space.  however there are not that many times that this can be used.  if your are moored alongside another boat there is no view and no privacy

i am perfectly happy on lower deck with high window, but you cant open it obviusly so you may prefer the french balcony

All you guys are great.  Thanks for the info.  We had a balcony on our last Viking ocean cruise and didn’t use it much.   We had an inside on our Azamara ocean cruise and it was fine.  Rather spend the money on a booze packaged.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Many river cruise ships tend to have bigger cabins.  Only putting 150-160 passengers on the same-size ship, rather than 190, tends to give you more room everywhere!

Yes, we love Viking, but because of this fact, we are looking to try others on River.

I find Viking river cabins way too small, and I am not going to pay the extra for a balcony or suite cabin...

Also because of this "over crowding" it concerns me that when everyone shows up for a port talk or in the evening, they cannot all sit in the lounge, many have to be in the Aquavit lounge too.  I always feel crowded on a Viking River cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Only putting 150-160 passengers on the same-size ship, rather than 190, tends to give you more room everywhere!

For cabins, it depends whether the space is used to increase cabin space or for something else.

For example, compare Scenic Space ships with Viking Longships. They   both have the same dimensions yet Scenic have a passenger maximum of 163 against Viking's 190, however they have exactly the same number of cabins on the upper (34) and middle deck (36).

On the lower deck (aquarium class) Scenic have 11 cabins and Viking have 25 cabins, a difference of 14 cabins. Thus 28 people more, difference between Scenic's 163 capacity and 190  Viking's is 27.

So what do Scenic do with the space saved by having 14 fewer cabins on the lower deck? That's where the Wellness Area, Fitness Centre, and Salt Room Therapy are located.

thanks for that information.  Has anyone stayed on an AMA and Viking in a French Balcony.  The bathrooms on Viking use the space wisely.  I would like a chair.  I will look into a balcony cabin sometime during our next River Cruise.  I do not think I would like the Aquariaum rooms.  I like the light.  We did a LONG River cruise ( Sojourn) and then then the Douro last fall and did OK in the French Balcony.

2 hours ago, deec said:

Has anyone stayed on an AMA and Viking in a French Balcony

People tend to stay with one cruise line, so you may not get a reply from someone who has experienced both an AMA and a Viking French Balcony.

I have travelled with both Viking and Scenic. You seems to be concerned with bathrooms, and on Viking Longship  bathrooms are the same on Aquarium, French Balcony and Veranda.

As I said, I don't know about AMA but what I liked about Viking bathrooms were:

• Heated floors
  • Heated mirror, so it didn't mist
  • Discreet night light
  • Loose bottles of shampoo/body wash etc

7 hours ago, pontac said:

So what do Scenic do with the space saved by having 14 fewer cabins on the lower deck? That's where the Wellness Area, Fitness Centre, and Salt Room Therapy are located.

Ahhh....!  That is great, but with the 14 fewer cabins and the 28 fewer people, if the lounge and dining areas are roughly the same dimensions, then there is just that much more room.

I feel crowded on a Viking River cruise.

• Like 2

@CDNPolar , I looked at the # of Avalon cabins on the same size as the Viking Longships - 83 cabins total, but some are held for solo travelers, so there isn't usually a full 166 passengers. Because the bathroom is on an angle, there is lots of space (shower is big) however Avalon is green - no printed handouts, no water bottles (you can ask for one at the reception for touring, there are glass bottles in the room), and toiletries are attached to the walls. 

• Like 1

We've only cruised rivers with Viking. I personally have a few issues with Viking and I've therefore done pretty extensive research with other lines. They all offer something I want and don't want. We stick with Viking for their repeat customer discount and because of "the devil you know". One thing I certainly don't have a problem with is their cabins and housekeepers.

We've stayed in a suite (retirement celebration), Balcony, French and Aquarium.

- The suite was over-the-top extravagant for us. Until we hit the lottery.

- We were fine with the Aquarium in Portugal because the ship only moves during the day (by law) and we parked ourselves on the sun deck all the time. The view was just too pretty to limit ourselves to one side. Otherwise, they require too much climbing to get anywhere. But if on a limited budget they are just the thing.

- The French cabin was economical, but also confining. It was just too small for us, even if we spent little time there. One person can do little more than stay out of the way while the other prepares for morning, dinner, or bed.

- The Balcony was fine. Worth the extra $$ for us.

• Like 1

Good points, @CDNPolar

Different perceptions: I find the Viking Longships light, airy and spacious and I don't feel overcrowded. I found Scenic gloomy and less spacious; I'm hoping to get a better experience on my next two trips with them.

Aren't we lucky we have such a choice?

14 hours ago, Daisi said:

Avalon is green - no printed handouts,  and toiletries are attached to the walls. 

I really don't see how toiletries attached to the wall are green, and I loathe them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, austinetc said:

We've only cruised rivers with Viking

Interested to see California (Wine Snobs) in your sig. Do you get the drinks package to pick from the wine list?

PS - how come your river cruises don't appear in you sig?

11 minutes ago, pontac said:

Good points, @CDNPolar

Different perceptions: I find the Viking Longships light, airy and spacious and I don't feel overcrowded. I found Scenic gloomy and less spacious; I'm hoping to get a better experience on my next two trips with them.

Aren't we lucky we have such a choice?

I really don't see how toiletries attached to the wall are green, and I loathe them.

The reason they are green is because they are re-fillable. The ones that they used to have were large "sample" sized ones, that everyone would take home, resulting in more plastic waste. To be honest, I'm not fussy either way. At home, I buy large bottles and either refill my shower caddy or my soap containers at the sinks. Yes, there is still plastic waste, however our bottles here are recyclable so they can stay out of our landfill.

20 minutes ago, pontac said:

Interested to see California (Wine Snobs) in your sig. Do you get the drinks package to pick from the wine list?

PS - how come your river cruises don't appear in you sig?

We used the drinks package several times in the past, but the cost has risen too much for us. For our next cruise they want $25 per person per day. We will buy wine ashore. Also, the “premium wine” offered in the package may not be what you expect. The wine industry uses “Premium” to describe $20 wine bottles.

I haven’t updated our sig in a while. Thanks for noticing. 

22 hours ago, austinetc said:

Also, the “premium wine” offered in the package may not be what you expect.

I've not bought the package but it's been included in bookings the past few years. We only drink wine so buying the package would be very borderline. With the package we pick a white from the list at lunchtime and a red with dinner. If - as many do - you want to drink cocktails or spirits, then it's worth it.

But previously I've found (with one exception) that the complimentary wines were good - especially in our early days of cruising when the house wines came with Viking labels and were Austrian from the Morwald winery, Gruner Veltliner (white) and Zweigelt (red). I also bought from wineries and shops along the way.

When we did Bordeaux with Viking in 2015 house wines changed each day so they were from the appellation we were in.

But when we returned to Bordeaux with Scenic in 2022 we were surprised how few of the passengers were interested in wine. Although the wine list is included waiters went round with two bottles asking red or white and most people took them, and although Champagne was advertised, Limoux was poured instead.

On 6/5/2024 at 11:23 PM, CielBleu said:

Their smallest cabins are 172 sq ft so still much larger than the Viking smallest cabins.

• Like 2