Barcelona Disembarkation Clearance and Airport

Cap_D

For a typical Celebrity arrival what time does the ship usually clear and, with checked bags, how early would you book an international flight to the U.S.?

Thanks in advance. 

15 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

For a typical Celebrity arrival what time does the ship usually clear and, with checked bags, how early would you book an international flight to the U.S.?

Thanks in advance. 

No matter the city/country I never book before 2pm.  It’s conservative I know, but I like the peace of mind.  I do think though a 12ish departure is enough time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Thanks in advance. 

I’m not sure what time is typical. We’ll be docking at 5:00 am and the first transfers are scheduled at 7:00 with a recommendation that those passengers should have flights after 10:30.

I wouldn’t expect the port to be ready for disembarking passengers before 6:30. 

• Thanks 1

We have arrived in Barcelona a few times. Getting off the ship was usual time, starting at 7ish for self embarking. We have had a leisurely get off on both occasions later on but on both occasions our US friends needed to be off quickly and reported a larger than usual number of guests queuing to get off quickly.

In our experience catching a taxi is a bit hit and miss. Whilst port staff were sorting an organised queue unfortunately some guests were ignoring the queue and literally ambushing taxis as they approached. Unfortunately not all Europeans understand the etiquette of queuing…

The airport is a bit rambling but no worse in our experience for check in and security than most European airports. On a positive there is a pay for lounge if you decide to wait in comfort for a later flight and do not have access to a business lounge.

It may help people advise you if you state the time of flight you are hoping to catch. In Barcelona I would consider a flight after 11.00 but prefer one after 11.30. 

If the flight time you would prefer is early, consider an overnight stay. Barcelona is a fantastic city….

• Thanks 1

Barcelona has a fast track check in line that you pay to use.  I haven’t used it, but researched for a trip in late summer.  You need to sign up in advance through the airport website.  It has all of the information you need to use the fast lanes.  Some airlines and loyalty programs include the fast lane.

• Like 1

I worked for an airline manufacturing company for 38 years. I traveled the world for work. I once did 30 flights in 30 days.

This happened before covid. Our flight into Barcelona had to be aborted. There was an aircraft  taking off from our runway. When leaving Barcelona we sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half.  It was not an aircraft issue, flights were backed up.

I will avoid Barcelona airport at all cost. 

• Like 1

Barcelona airport had the longest lines I ever saw at a airport, luckily we were first class , great thing was there is a free lounge for all business and first class flyers with free food and drinks including liquor.

• Like 2

I took a shuttle from port that left at 10am.  My international flight departed at 2pm.  I spent over two hours doing nothing in the airport.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It can go either way.  Flew to and from Barcelona many times.  Often everything aligns and you are thru and checked in quickly (but recommend to be there 2 hrs before flight, maybe more for USA).  Car from port to airport ca 1/2 hour.

But we also had other times : standing in line for 40 min to get a taxi when disembarking from cruise (lessons learned : prebook ride), getting stuck on highway due to an accident, tightened security at airport due to incidence somewhere made passengers for check in back up outside and took 1 1/2 hours to get in plus still security and once delay due to airtraffic controllers strike.

In short the usual things that sometimes can and do go wrong anywhere.

And then we are glad that we did not cut it too close.

Edited by odysee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

. Unfortunately not all Europeans understand the etiquette of queuing…

Off topic but that made me 🤭. Don’t doubt what you say to be true but it applies equally to Americans. Us English invented queuing and would never push in 👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Off topic but that made me 🤭. Don’t doubt what you say to be true but it applies equally to Americans. Us English invented queuing and would never push in 

I guess the intolerance/lack of thought of some and the support of others makes travel the adventure we all enjoy…

Edited by chemmo
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

I worked for an airline manufacturing company for 38 years. I traveled the world for work. I once did 30 flights in 30 days.

This happened before covid. Our flight into Barcelona had to be aborted. There was an aircraft  taking off from our runway. When leaving Barcelona we sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half.  It was not an aircraft issue, flights were backed up.

I will avoid Barcelona airport at all cost. 

There is absolutely no reason to avoid Barcelona airport.  We've arrived and departed there many times with no problems other than the usual stuff that can happen at any airport.  Barcelona airport to cruise port is an easy, relatively short taxi ride.

We took a post- cruise Celebrity excursion to the Monastery at Montserrat...long ride but a great trip.  We  stayed an extra night along Las Ramblas and  took an early cab to the airport.

Please watch your luggage, hand luggage and closely hold your handbag at the Barcelona  airport..Rushing can lead to inattention.

A woman on the check-in line next to us  had her purse stolen with her tix and documents.  She could not board.!

Security closed the exits but thief escaped!  BE VIGILANT!   Barcelona: "City of Thieves."

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hcat said:

Monastery at Montserrat.

Definitely worth staying to see if you have not been up to Montserrat. There is so much to do in Barcelona, but if you are like us and have been there many times, I understand the plan to fly out immediately.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by buzz031