Customs Confusion

Hello,

We’ll be cruising around New Zealand on the Royal Princess out of Sydney.  Can anyone

answer several questions for me regarding going through customs?

When do we physically go through NZ customs with our baggage?  Prior to boarding the ship in Sydney or at our first port in NZ?  I have melatonin and lysine that I need to take and I don’t want them confiscated by NZ customs as I’ve heard that they are stringent and want prescriptions for meds., etc.  

Ant help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Dawn

You will go through Customs on entry to Australia (airport). You will go through customs again when you exit your cruise, presumable Sydney or maybe Auckland. There won't be any customs inspection if you are just visiting NZ, only if you are disembarking. IMHO, NZ customs will not be interested in your meds unless you are bringing in more than 3 months worth. Melatonin is available on prescription in NZ, so there shouldn't be any problems there. Lysine is available to buy freely from chemists and online in NZ, no prescription needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep it's  not like airport customs.

You're  only visiting NZ and not required  to take all your luggage off the ship and get it inspected etc

If you have doubts and  don't actually need the supplements during the day just leave them in your cabin.

Dose up in the morning  and top up when back on board.

• Like 1

I'm getting a letter from my doctor to cover all my medications including the over the counter ones.  And they will all be in original containers. I figure that will help with any questions.

• Like 4

Okay guys, now I'm really confused.  I emailed the NZ government customer service and got this response: 

"Hi Dawn,

Thank you for contacting us. 

To answer your question, yes you will go through the customs at Port Chalmers in New Zealand.  

It is also recommended to declare the medicines even if you are going to leave them in the cruise ship as they will be a part of your luggage." 

They make it sound like we'll be dragging our luggage off the ship to go through customs at Port Chalmers!

8 minutes ago, dawnie08 said:

Okay guys, now I'm really confused.  I emailed the NZ government customer service and got this response: 

"Hi Dawn,

Thank you for contacting us. 

To answer your question, yes you will go through the customs at Port Chalmers in New Zealand.  

It is also recommended to declare the medicines even if you are going to leave them in the cruise ship as they will be a part of your luggage." 

They make it sound like we'll be dragging our luggage off the ship to go through customs at Port Chalmers!

By sea, you are entering NZ, so will be completing an arrival form. On that form is a declaration, for which you should honestly answer the questions. You do not need to pack-up and take your luggage off the ship.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

By sea, you are entering NZ, so will be completing an arrival form. On that form is a declaration, for which you should honestly answer the questions. You do not need to pack-up and take your luggage off the ship.

I fully intend to answer the questions honestly. I just wanted clarification.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dawnie08 said:

I fully intend to answer the questions honestly. I just wanted clarification.

All good. You only take your luggage off if you are disembarking the ship.

On 6/8/2024 at 10:54 AM, dawnie08 said:

Hello,

We’ll be cruising around New Zealand on the Royal Princess out of Sydney.  Can anyone

answer several questions for me regarding going through customs?

When do we physically go through NZ customs with our baggage?  Prior to boarding the ship in Sydney or at our first port in NZ?  I have melatonin and lysine that I need to take and I don’t want them confiscated by NZ customs as I’ve heard that they are stringent and want prescriptions for meds., etc.  

Ant help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Dawn

Does your cruise end in Auckland? If so, you will have to declare medications on the NZ Customs for.

If your cruise returns to Sydney your belongings stay on the ship when you are in NZ and you won't have to fill out any NZ Customs form. We never have and my last cruise to NZ was only a few months ago.

• Like 2

Aus Traveller is correct. I've been to Port Chalmers at least four times there has never been any customs check.

However, if going ashore you will need to take with you some form of personal ID (other than ship card) with a photo e.g.  passport, driver's licence, which will be checked by immigration officers when you return to the ship.

• Like 1