Report From Mariner Grand Arctic 2024

Less than six weeks ago we disembarked Explorer where I reported the best service, food, and cruise that I have had on Regent.  Now, we are on Mariner and I have to say that the service, food, and ship are just as good.  Franck/Vlado as GM, Brandon as F&B, and all their teams are just fantastic.  Henry as Restaurant Manager has been fantastic as have all of his Maitre Ds.  Special kudos to the bar team that I first met on Navigator two years ago and then sailed with them on Mariner last Christmas/New Year's.  

Today we are in Sydney where Arlene had a tooth pulled while sailing this itinerary two years ago; today will be a better day.  And the weather looks good for Greenland so we should be able to make all three Greenlandic stops.  

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

I will try to post more along the way.

Marc

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Less than six weeks ago we disembarked Explorer where I reported the best service, food, and cruise that I have had on Regent.  Now, we are on Mariner and I have to say that the service, food, and ship are just as good.  Franck/Vlado as GM, Brandon as F&B, and all their teams are just fantastic.  Henry as Restaurant Manager has been fantastic as have all of his Maitre Ds.  Special kudos to the bar team that I first met on Navigator two years ago and then sailed with them on Mariner last Christmas/New Year's.  

Today we are in Sydney where Arlene had a tooth pulled while sailing this itinerary two years ago; today will be a better day.  And the weather looks good for Greenland so we should be able to make all three Greenlandic stops.  

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

I will try to post more along the way.

Marc

We'll be on the Mariner in the fall for a big birthday trip for my husband so I'm SO happy to hear  that everything is wonderful!

Thank you!

mrlevin:

Pass on our regards to Brandon.  We met him a year ago aboard Navigator on BtB NYC-Montreal-NYC segments.  Two delightful dinners with him--the last being a themed South African meal he thoughtfully put together.  

My wife being a gourmet cook certainly facilitated dinner table banter.  

Hold onto positive thoughts re:  Greenland (and Iceland).  Will be on Splendor in less than two weeks for visits to both.  My concern is volcanic activity at Iceland.  

Jim and Sue

Redmond, WA

GOARMY!

• Like 2

On 6/9/2024 at 10:51 AM, GOARMY said:

Hold onto positive thoughts re:  Greenland (and Iceland).  Will be on Splendor in less than two weeks for visits to both.  My concern is volcanic activity at Iceland.  

We will be on Splendor a few weeks after you (Reykjavik to Southampton on July 25).  I am not worried about the volcanic activity as the eruptions have been a few months apart and they just had a pretty big eruption which I hear takes pressure off for the next eruption.  Also the volcanic activity does not seem to impact Reykjavik or the airport, but has closed Blue Lagoon a few days.  Thinking positive thoughts for both of us.  

Can you please post some of your experiences on board including internet, food and how rough/calm the weather is?  We seem to have a little different itinerary but in the same general parts of the world.  

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Today we arrived in Iceland.  Although no transit through Prince Christian Sound due to ice (why do those in Miami keep forgetting that there is ice up north), we did get an extra day in Nuuk.  Weather in Greenland was fantastic.

Ship continues to impress.  Even with cold weather and a full ship, F&B Brandon and Beverage Manager Brako have continued to be flexible and get everyone fed and well lubricated.  Lecturers have been good although redundant with same itinerary two years ago (to be expected).  We are changing cabins in Reykjavik; living with the tub/shower combination was not as bad as I thought but I will be glad to move to shower only suite for remainder of grand voyage.

Weather will be bad in Iceland (40s/50s and rain/drizzle) and Torshavn is not looking the best but things looking up once we get to Scotland.  Mariner as great as ever.

More to come.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Weather will be bad in Iceland (40s/50s and rain/drizzle) and Torshavn is not looking the best but things looking up once we get to Scotland.  Mariner as great as ever.

I'm a little surprised and curious about your stop in Torshavn.  We were originally scheduled to stop there around the end of July and they switched the itinerary about four months ago to Runvik instead.  No real explanation why was given.

Two years ago we spent just one day in Torshavn, this year we are scheduled for two; I will let you know if there is any change to schedule. 

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Today we arrived in Iceland.  Although no transit through Prince Christian Sound due to ice (why do those in Miami keep forgetting that there is ice up north), we did get an extra day in Nuuk.  Weather in Greenland was fantastic.

Ship continues to impress.  Even with cold weather and a full ship, F&B Brandon and Beverage Manager Brako have continued to be flexible and get everyone fed and well lubricated.  Lecturers have been good although redundant with same itinerary two years ago (to be expected).  We are changing cabins in Reykjavik; living with the tub/shower combination was not as bad as I thought but I will be glad to move to shower only suite for remainder of grand voyage.

More to come.

Marc

Thank you for all of these updates.

We will be taking our first Regent cruise on the Mariner this fall (after many Sitmar, Home Lines, Princess, Celebrity, etc. cruises) for a special birthday.

Do you have any hints of places on the ship or things to do (again , on the ship) not to be missed?

1 hour ago, chamima said:

Thank you for all of these updates.

We will be taking our first Regent cruise on the Mariner this fall (after many Sitmar, Home Lines, Princess, Celebrity, etc. cruises) for a special birthday.

Do you have any hints of places on the ship or things to do (again , on the ship) not to be missed?

Karen, there are four areas unique to Mariner.  First is Mariner Lounge pre-dinner; it is unique amongst the lounges outside of Compass Rose in that it doesn’t need to double as the night club; Mariner has Stars Lounge for that.  Second is the Garden Promenade; a great place to drink coffee; play games, work on the puzzle, or read a book.  Third is the observation lounge.  The only one in the fleet with outside areas to take pictures.  In addition, it is two levels above the bridge so no need for strong tinting or curtains that must be closed at night like on the other ships.  Fourth is Horizon Lounge on the stern of deck 6.  There is an outdoor seating area which is great.  Voyager also has Horizon Lounge but it was deleted from the newer ships. 

As you probably can tell Mariner is my favorite ship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Karen, there are four areas unique to Mariner.  First is Mariner Lounge pre-dinner; it is unique amongst the lounges outside of Compass Rose in that it doesn’t need to double as the night club; Mariner has Stars Lounge for that.  Second is the Garden Promenade; a great place to drink coffee; play games, work on the puzzle, or read a book.  Third is the observation lounge.  The only one in the fleet with outside areas to take pictures.  In addition, it is two levels above the bridge so no need for strong tinting or curtains that must be closed at night like on the other ships.  Fourth is Horizon Lounge on the stern of deck 6.  There is an outdoor seating area which is great.  Voyager also has Horizon Lounge but it was deleted from the newer ships. 

As you probably can tell Mariner is my favorite ship. 

Thanks Marc

I'm going to print out your suggestions and  take it with us!

Club Mariner has arrived; Conference Room is “adult free zone.”  Crew this segment is 456 versus 458 last segment so I don’t know where they got the staff to run Club Mariner. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

About how many kids are on the ship?

Don't know number of kids; probably less than ten.  This cruise was marketed as special offer for kids.

We had a fantastic Grand Voyage Brunch today in Horizon Lounge.  Both bar and culinary teams put a lot of work into it.  Last night we had 4.5 meter waves so I think most were late getting going today so brunch well attended.  We just docked in Torshavn and will be here overnight.  Andy announced at the brunch a very special group of entertainers coming on for a pre-dinner pre-departure show next Sunday.  If you track our itinerary, you could probably figure out who these entertainers might be.

We have skipped lots of excursions so far as we have spent lots of time in Greenland and Iceland; however, tomorrow starts a ten day stretch where we are likely to take our excursions each day; will be nice to get to St Malo for our next "sea" day.

More later,

Marc

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Andy announced at the brunch a very special group of entertainers coming on for a pre-dinner pre-departure show next Sunday.  If you track our itinerary, you could probably figure out who these entertainers might be.

Oh, do tell! How could we possibly figure that out?

18 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Oh, do tell! How could we possibly figure that out?

They'll be in Liverpool.

You figure it out.

I wouldn't expect the originals, though. Probably a tribute group.

Edited by chamima

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Only two left, and they are getting on now.

............... but can't bring themselves to retire !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c511wz72e3jo

https://virginradio.co.uk/music/142735/ringo-starr-tour-ep-country-inspired-album

21 hours ago, chamima said:

They'll be in Liverpool.

You figure it out.

Plenty of iconic Liverpool acts to choose from; including Gerry & the Pacemakers

• Haha 1