Plus package insurance cost increase?

Thrak

On 6/12/2024 at 2:41 PM, voljeep said:

nope - that's an upgrade to Premier! - 5 day cruise - $200 increase (plus 9%) - offset by $180 in specialty dinners we wanted to do anyway ... wait, where have I heard that???

Yep,  I like your thinking....   The packages for longer cruises add up FAST.

When you get all the perks, like the Specialty Dining, that's when it is a no-brainer.

(dependent on a persons individual tastes in dining and alcoholic beverages)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, that said:

@Cruise Raider

may I ask what company you selected for annual insurance policy?

Absolutely!  I asked all my friends which annual insurance product they used, read over different policies and went with Allianz.  It’s going to save us hundreds of dollars over the course of a year.  
The one thing I will miss with the Princess Protection is the ability to cancel for any reason to receive cruise credits in return.  It’s what just a nice peace of mind option that Princess offers, albeit, not ever used by us.  So, I suggest weighing that out ahead of time.  
Plus, you will want to take notice of the cancellation component that is per policy vs the portions of the insurance that are per trip.  The coverage is decent and much more reasonable if you travel a lot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

and does it include CFAR?

No, it does not.  Also, the cancellation is once time per policy for the annual term, although you can up the limit for the cancellation for preexisting conditions.  It appears this can only be done when booking at least two persons on the policy but you might be able to have that portion increased for a solo policy if you call in.  I’m just not sure.  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, that said:

@Cruise Raider

may I ask what company you selected for annual insurance policy?

I know you asked my friend @Cruise Raiderbut I’ll toss out my two cents. 

We started using Allianz annual plans 3 years ago. I had to cancel one sailing a week before boarding due to getting covid. 
I had a full refund from Allianz (this occurred after Princess stopped their generous Covid cancelation policy) in two weeks with very little hassle. 

I also charge all my travel on a Chase Sapphire Card. It has excellent travel insurance included as well. You only need to charge a portion of the trip on the card to have the entire trip covered. That way I can still use the gift cards. 
The included  car rental insurance is also great but you do need to book the entirety of the rental on the card for coverage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I’ll check my plan when I get home. But I don’t think that us true for the policy I have. 

image.thumb.png.502321474bc3b00a27c77b05186519c1.png

I signed up for the middle one, the premier plan and chose the $10K limit but that is for a covered reason for pre-existing conditions.  You know insurance companies and all of us might find a difference as to what is a preexisting condition.  I decided to be better safe than sorry.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

If you purchase it when onboard, your insurance also won’t pay out if you need to leave the cruise early (such a rare occurrence, though).

I don't think this is such a rare occurrence. Even if you don't leave the ship early, you may be in isolation for part of the cruise. DW and I were isolated for COVID for the last three nights of a twelve-night cruise last year (one fourth of the cruise). We had booked Premier fare in advance with Princess Vacation Protection. We received a full cash refund for one-fourth of our cruise fare and taxes and port charges (including the Premier portion of the fare).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

image.thumb.png.502321474bc3b00a27c77b05186519c1.png

I signed up for the middle one, the premier plan and chose the $10K limit but that is for a covered reason for pre-existing conditions.  You know insurance companies and all of us might find a difference as to what is a preexisting condition.  I decided to be better safe than sorry.  

I chose the same plan as you but selected the $5K cap.  We bought it last year after seeing the price tag for insurance for our Oceania cruise ($1800!!!).  The $715 annual cost of the plan ensures that if something happens to us while cruising we will be covered.  We have some trip insurance through our credit card and a small amount of medical coverage through our health insurance but all of that would be exhausted quickly if we suffered an emergency onboard.  That's where the real financial risk lies, covering the cost of trip cancellation if something happens prior to the trip is small in comparison.

• Like 1

This probably won't apply to most but worth mentioning.

Allianz's annual plans have a maximum trip length of 45 days.  This particular policy wouldn't be good for something like a complete World Cruise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

This probably won't apply to most but worth mentioning.

Allianz's annual plans have a maximum trip length of 45 days.  This particular policy wouldn't be good for something like a complete World Cruise.

Not a problem for us!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Not a problem for us!

Nor is it for us.  We now only cruise from the west coast and the longest one booked would be a 22 night sailing.  I booked the $10k cap so that would cover that particular sailing, otherwise, I’d have gone with the $5k cap.  

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 12:00 PM, SCX22 said:

I say always buy Plus on board.  But there have been posts that have stated that they've been denied due it being at capacity.  Personally have never experience this when cruising with my friends or my parents. 

I asked my travel agent about the possibility of being "sold out" when we board.  She said that only Premier sells out, due to specialty restaurant capacity.  Plus does not sell out.  I hope she's right, since we plan to buy onboard in August.

• Like 1