Was It A Rumor - Sun Princess Dining Changes??

The more I read about this ship, the more I know it'll be the last time we every sail on a Sphere class ship. Everything about the ship seems to be a effort to achieve. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

He mentioned that for a while they tried a ticket system, a few days prior to a showing.  However, people were then lining up 2 to 3 hours before the tickets were to be given out, to be sure to get one.  So that was no better, and they gave up on that idea.

We aren't "show people" so it has not impacted us. We (accidentally) caught the rehearsal for and the Captain's show, so we feel we've "seen" most of it.

Ultimately, they will need to resort to a reserved-seat ticket lottery. Done through the app, you check off which night(s) you would like to see the show(s), party size, and the computer awards them randomly. Other than an auction, it's the only fair way to apportion a limited good.

But that will take time, coding, and it is another change the old guard won't like.

Realistically, there is a lot to like on Sun Princess. The ship is very comfortable to sail on.

It of course remains to be seen how the ultimate fighting match (lounge chairs on a Carribean Cruise Sea day) resolves.

• Like 3

Can anyone give the showtimes for the shows in the DOME, and in the ARENA?

Do all of these shows in both places do two performances each evening.

I am wondering about getting to the DOME at some time before the early show ends?

I know that they have added Matinee shows in the ARENA so more people can see the show(s)

But, I don't  think they could close the DOME all afternoon for Matinee shows.

Princess has messed up this ship on so many fronts!!!!  From the very top down.

Some of these things, they are trying to adjust.

Some of these can't be addressed, as you can't make a show venue larger.  It is a ship.

Like, they don't know how much seating would be needed for a ship with this many guests?

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am wondering about getting to the DOME at some time before the early show ends?

It sounds like your queuing up for the late nights performance. 

I suppose if you arrive immediately after an early dinner you might make it in for the 2nd show, if your lucky. 

Maybe they provide chairs for us that can't stand for 2 1/2 hours in line.

14 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

He mentioned that for a while they tried a ticket system, a few days prior to a showing.  However, people were then lining up 2 to 3 hours before the tickets were to be given out, to be sure to get one.  So that was no better, and they gave up on that idea

Did they try a drawing for each show? 
Indicate your interest and be entered into a drawing.

Or, make a reservation for it.

Edited by PacnGoNow

4 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Can anyone give the showtimes for the shows in the DOME, and in the ARENA?

Do all of these shows in both places do two performances each evening.

I know that they have added Matinee shows in the ARENA so more people can see the show(s)

But, I don't  think they could close the DOME all afternoon for Matinee shows.

Princess has messed up this ship on so many fronts!!!!  From the very top down.

Some of these things, they are trying to adjust.

Some of these can't be addressed, as you can't make a show venue larger.  It is a ship.

Like, they don't know how much seating would be needed for a ship with this many guests?

On the Sun now. Current show times in the Arena are 7:30 and 9:30 for non production shows. Production shows are also 7:30 and 9:30 with a 1:00 matinee the following day. Dome cirque shows are at 8:15 and 9:15. These times changed during the Transatlantic from later times in the Med. One thing that would help some would be only having one Cirque type show in the Dome at many different times during a cruise. Having multiple named Cirque shows makes no sense. Having 4000+ guests trying to get into a 200+ seat arena is never going to work. The best option would be to have more Cirque shows in the Piazza as an alternate site also seeing it is engineered to host those shows. We enjoyed the Captains welcome party there that included a Cirque show. On the ship currently the Piazza is used for hours and hours of dance lessons and game shows over and over. Live musical entertainment has been minimal there. We have not seen the party band Mockingbird perform once in the Piazza.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

FYI- I booked in February a Signature Suite for a Jan 2025 sailing. Much has changed!!! I was very disappointed in the plan for the new Sanctuary dining as compared to the original venue but I can appreciate that newly booked guests will have the premium package and will likely dine in specialty venues.

The good news is that TODAY, I checked fares and learned that the exact same room type that I booked in February as Signature was now available (three doors down) with the Premium package AND it was $1100 less! So, I cancelled my original and booked the better option. Keep an eye out cruisers!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, paradiseprincess said:

FYI- I booked in February a Signature Suite for a Jan 2025 sailing. Much has changed!!! I was very disappointed in the plan for the new Sanctuary dining as compared to the original venue but I can appreciate that newly booked guests will have the premium package and will likely dine in specialty venues.

The good news is that TODAY, I checked fares and learned that the exact same room type that I booked in February as Signature was now available (three doors down) with the Premium package AND it was $1100 less! So, I cancelled my original and booked the better option. Keep an eye out cruisers!

I did that for my Star suite October 2025 cruise a while ago!  Great 👍 

1 hour ago, BURNSMN said:

On the ship currently the Piazza is used for hours and hours of dance lessons and game shows over and over.

That’s the direction they’ve been  taking it also, on the other ships we’ve been on the last couple of years.

Isn’t there another area on the Sun, this could be held?  They advertise the Piazza as a relaxing place.  😀

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s the direction they’ve been  taking it also, on the other ships we’ve been on the last couple of years.

Isn’t there another area on the Sun, this could be held?  They advertise the Piazza as a relaxing place.  😀

There is actually no other area on the ship that is suitable for dancing or dance lessons. The Dome is used as a late night DJ area but is not available during the rest of the day for that purpose. A lot of the game shows are held in Princess Live. This ship definitely needed some type of multipurpose music, dance lounge with a bar.

19 hours ago, 555 said:

The more I read about this ship, the more I know it'll be the last time we every sail on a Sphere class ship. Everything about the ship seems to be a effort to achieve. 

You may be surprised, and just absolutely love it! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BURNSMN said:

On the Sun now. Current show times in the Arena are 7:30 and 9:30 for non production shows. Production shows are also 7:30 and 9:30 with a 1:00 matinee the following day. Dome cirque shows are at 8:15 and 9:15. These times changed during the Transatlantic from later times in the Med. One thing that would help some would be only having one Cirque type show in the Dome at many different times during a cruise. Having multiple named Cirque shows makes no sense. Having 4000+ guests trying to get into a 200+ seat arena is never going to work. The best option would be to have more Cirque shows in the Piazza as an alternate site also seeing it is engineered to host those shows. We enjoyed the Captains welcome party there that included a Cirque show. On the ship currently the Piazza is used for hours and hours of dance lessons and game shows over and over. Live musical entertainment has been minimal there. We have not seen the party band Mockingbird perform once in the Piazza.

Thank you for sharing. Was the Captain’s Welcome Party on Formal Night or was it on the first night of the cruise? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

You may be surprised, and just absolutely love it! 

I am trying to keep an open mind but the more I read about the dysfunctional designs of the Sun, the more I wished I had booked a proven design of the Royal class ships. 

Reserving SD restaurants seems almost non existent. 😒

Pirate show now cancelled, permanently. 😒

Lack of space allotted to game shows/dancing. 😒

Wait times for existing shows can be hours. 😒

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BURNSMN said:

There is actually no other area on the ship that is suitable for dancing or dance lessons. The Dome is used as a late night DJ area but is not available during the rest of the day for that purpose. A lot of the game shows are held in Princess Live. This ship definitely needed some type of multipurpose music, dance lounge with a bar.

That’s unfortunate.  But, we will go with an open mind, and find an area we enjoy.

Thank you for responding.

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you for sharing. Was the Captain’s Welcome Party on Formal Night or was it on the first night of the cruise? 

Captain’s Party for the Transatlantic was on the first sea day which was a formal night.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 555 said:

I am trying to keep an open mind but the more I read about the dysfunctional designs of the Sun, the more I wished I had booked a proven design of the Royal class ships. 

Reserving SD restaurants seems almost non existent. 😒

Pirate show now cancelled, permanently. 😒

Lack of space allotted to game shows/dancing. 😒

Wait times for existing shows can be hours. 😒

Despite all the issues we have had a wonderful time on the Sun. The food options and quality are the best of any cruise we have ever been on. Buffet and outdoor stations around it (pizza, grill, ice cream) which include outside eating areas on Deck 9 is well designed. The new elevator system works great (per my wife, as I always use stairs only). We have been able to see every show in the Arena. There are many more outside areas for relaxation and eating than on any Princess ship. There are numerous hot tubs around the ship and the area in front of the Dome is an additional adults only area with hot tubs, bar, chairs, loungers, and great views of the sea (Sea View Terrace). The will be a great ship to be on in the Caribbean.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ye who have been troubled rejoice, for word has come down from on high:  

So let it be written…So let it be done.  Mere mortals shall no longer tread the walkways parting the new Sanctuary Dining Room.  To that end, the two aft exits to the Wake View Terrace shall be closed off for further passage.  Likewise, the two aft observation elevators, shall only run between Decks 9 to Deck 18 .  Citizens wishing to frolic on the Wake View Terrace, may do so, via the staircases located at the back of Deck 9.

This shall become law, with the opening of the new Sanctuary Dining Room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

Ye who have been troubled rejoice, for word has come down from on high:  

So let it be written…So let it be done.  Mere mortals shall no longer tread the walkways parting the new Sanctuary Dining Room.  To that end, the two aft exits to the Wake View Terrace shall be closed off for further passage.  Likewise, the two aft observation elevators, shall only run between Decks 9 to Deck 18 .  Citizens wishing to frolic on the Wake View Terrace, may do so, via the staircases located at the back of Deck 9.

This shall become law, with the opening of the new Sanctuary Dining Room. 

Wow, well this begs a few questions 

- assume the aft observation elevators will run down to 8 for those guests in suites?

- how does that work for those with accessibility needs?  Especially for those booked into those huge accessible deluxe balconies. Do they not get to access the Wake View Terrace?

• Like 1

I LOVE the way you posted this!!!  Hahaha!!!

But, it also makes me wonder if this is all real and legit.

With all the craziness, one simply does not know what to begin to believe!

If so, the ONLY way to access the wake view terrace would be the stairs???

That would def. not be okay with the handicapped guests.

I am waiting to see photos of the new dining room, set up for the new Sanctuary service.

6 minutes ago, dides said:

Wow, well this begs a few questions 

- assume the aft observation elevators will run down to 8 for those guests in suites?

- how does that work for those with accessibility needs?  Especially for those booked into those huge accessible deluxe balconies. Do they not get to access the Wake View Terrace?

Pretty sure you can still get to the aft using exterior walkways, so they can use different elevators and then use those outside paths.

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I LOVE the way you posted this!!!  Hahaha!!!

But, it also makes me wonder if this is all real and legit.

With all the craziness, one simply does not know what to begin to believe!

If so, the ONLY way to access the wake view terrace would be the stairs???

That would def. not be okay with the handicapped guests.

I am waiting to see photos of the new dining room, set up for the new Sanctuary service.

You can still walk around the exterior of the deck. 

Screenshot_20241006_114751_Edge.thumb.jpg.7c722c08435d09333559baf7d16a678e.jpg

I hope Sanctuary Collection guests actually post the real info when on the upcoming Sun cruises and let us know what they really see. I for one am thrilled with Sanctuary Collection opportunity if I choose it, but would like to get the real scoop. It is pricey. 

3 minutes ago, Avalon35 said:

I hope Sanctuary Collection guests actually post the real info when on the upcoming Sun cruises and let us know what they really see. I for one am thrilled with Sanctuary Collection opportunity if I choose it, but would like to get the real scoop. It is pricey. 

I'll be on over Thanksgiving and will get video content for everybody, but hopefully somebody will get us pictures (or video) before then!

• Thanks 2