Is November a good time to cruise the Mediterranean

lindavan1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

... I have stayed in Paris in November.  It can be rainy and cool.  The museums are dry and warm.  

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

... Read the historical weather charts for where you are visiting....

First, study a map and you'll quickly see that Paris is NOT in or near the "Mediterranean". You might as well discuss Berlin, Geneva, London, and Vienna.

Second, in light of climate-related issues, the "historical weather charts" really mean study the past 5 or so years. What 1989 or 1999 or 2009 were like is rather immaterial in 2024.

And fwiw, we're on the same sailing including the transAtlantic, 24 days, (and I think you meant Athens to Rome, Nov. 11th.) Booked 2 years ago, and can't wait! Go prepared for anything and everything, and enjoy, no matter the weather. 🌧️😎

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

First, study a map and you'll quickly see that Paris is NOT in or near the "Mediterranean". You might as well discuss Berlin, Geneva, London, and Vienna.

Second, in light of climate-related issues, the "historical weather charts" really mean study the past 5 or so years. What 1989 or 1999 or 2009 were like is rather immaterial in 2024.

You missed the message. Instead of taking a Med cruise, just pick a city that has lots of indoor attractions.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, lindavan1 said:

I'm looking at a cruise November 9 from Athens to Rome but I am not sure this is a good time to cruise the Mediterranean?

We have never cruised this area or on Oceania before. It is the Oceania Vista. Thank you.

Well my absolute favorite time on the Amalfi Coast is mid October- early November.  Very few crowds, less shops open in case that’s your thing, restaurants far less crowded.  Biggest bonus is the weather.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sololux said:

Walking around Ephesus in august is unpleasant.  Basically July through to end September is very hot in the Med.

Or June. We're supposed to call at Izmir for Ephesus this Friday and the expected temp is 105f or 39c. Earliest wave ever according to some reports. Stay tuned, spouse and I have a wager as to whether O will call a sea day instead of sending everyone out into an oven. 

• Like 1

Interesting to read the various opinions.  I do not see a problem taking that particular cruise.  We recently spent 35 days on the Vista and really enjoyed the ship.  As to closures in the Med, that is very dependent on the ports.  The ports on that particular cruise should be fine with the possible exception of Argostoli.  Since we have never been to that island that late in the year, we do not know what will be open and closed.  But places like Dubrovnik, Kotor, Valetta, Palermo and Rome do not shut down after the summer season :).  

As to the weather, we prefer earlier in the shoulder season, but one always rolls the dice when it comes to weather.

Hank

On 6/16/2024 at 12:57 PM, lindavan1 said:

Thanks everyone. I have enough information for me to make a decision. Appreciate everyone taking the time to give me their thoughts.

And...???

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 3:33 PM, babysteps said:

Or June. We're supposed to call at Izmir for Ephesus this Friday and the expected temp is 105f or 39c. Earliest wave ever according to some reports. Stay tuned, spouse and I have a wager as to whether O will call a sea day instead of sending everyone out into an oven. 

It happens. 10 years ago, we were on a land tour in Turkey first week in June.  Hot.  When we went to Ephesus, it was 44C. We each took 3 bottles of water.  

• Thanks 1

Did a cruise (on Viking LOL) this past Dec/Jan in the Med; Athens --> Rome.  Maybe just lucky but the weather was great.  Light shirt and windbreaker were enough. Crowds were not too bad except in Rome, but that was to be expected during the Xmas season.

We're spending a couple of weeks in Cyprus in mid October. The weather deteriorates in the Eastern Med after that. And I wouldnt really consider the Western Med after late September. Not if I wanted a reasonable guarantee of fine weather which, living on this small cold, wet island off the coast of Northern Europe, I do want. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Harters said:

We're spending a couple of weeks in Cyprus in mid October. The weather deteriorates in the Eastern Med after that. And I wouldnt really consider the Western Med after late September. Not if I wanted a reasonable guarantee of fine weather which, living on this small cold, wet island off the coast of Northern Europe, I do want. 

I agree. You really need to go south towards the Canaries to be assured of good weather in November.
But … you could be lucky. We were very unlucky in August ‘22 in the Med when we hit unseasonal storms! You just never know!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Harters said:

The perfect time to come here. I've lived here for man years and October/November are my favourite times. Although saying that, we have had some glorious January weather, and conversely wicked storms in November. Generally though it is beautiful.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, firsttimers68 said:

The perfect time to come here.

We made the mistake, years back, of coming at the height of summer. Much too hot and, since then, we've visited in September or October.  Our trip this year is sort of cruise connected. Our recent transatlantic confirmed that, for us, the ship is the holiday - effectively a floating hotel. And, in those terms, it's an expensive holiday. So, we decided we'd try a land based holiday that echoes much of what we like about Oceania - comfort, service, good food. We've found a 5* all-inclusive resort in Paphos which comes in at about 50% of the cost of our Southampton/Southampton cruise next year on Vista. If the resort lives up to expectations, then that may well be our last cruise. 

• Like 3