Dining reservations

negn

34 minutes ago, racj846 said:

I encountered the same thing when trying to add dining companions on the website.  However when making reservations thru the app, it worked perfectly.

On the app when making reservations, next to your pictures will be a pen/pencil, click on that and then add booking number of you companions.

5 hours ago, Boku said:

I used to be able to make a reservation at a time and in an MDR of my choosing, now I can only choose a dining time in one MDR rather than any of the three. To me thats a loss of choice. I dont want to be forced to dine at a set time and I dont want to stand in a queue for 30 minutes.

Unlike Holland America (where there's one dining room on two decks), Princess has split the main dining room into 3 rooms.  They all are themed the same, and serve the same menu.  So, yes, you are "only" able to book one dining room based on what time schedule you want.  But they are all the same dining room.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The way I look at it is Princess have given people more choice, but it may not suit everyone

They have allocated Michelangelos dining room for fixed / traditional dining at 5pm or 7:30pm

Botticellis dining room is for people who want a different time say 6:20pm or 7pm,but they want that same time / table every night

and Da Vinci dining room is for walk ins for people just turn up when they want to

my only gripe was i can't book dining on the App because we've not paid in full for our cruise - yet I am able to book dining times through the web version

Edited by Muffinz
spelling

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Unlike Holland America (where there's one dining room on two decks), Princess has split the main dining room into 3 rooms.  They all are themed the same, and serve the same menu.  So, yes, you are "only" able to book one dining room based on what time schedule you want.  But they are all the same dining room.

Not all ships have 3 dining rooms. 

44 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Not all ships have 3 dining rooms. 

True, but the point remains.  The menu is the same in all the dining rooms, and if someone books one of two or three or one of five, the menu will not  change.

I think everyone on cruises in September and possibly the first night on most cruises needs to cut the crew some slack. PLEASE don't be those folks we all hate to be around who are obnoxious and create headaches for everyone.

As for restrictions of choices...it's a given that you can't please all the people all the time. Yes, some of us won't get things exactly like we want but we're on a cruise which definitely beats being stuck in a hospital bed or in an office. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

The way I look at it is Princess have given people more choice, but it may not suit everyone 

They have allocated Michelangelos dining room for fixed / traditional dining at 5pm or 7:30pm

Botticellis dining room is for people who want a different time say 6:20pm or 7pm,but they want that same time / table every night

and Da Vinci dining room is for walk ins for people just turn up when they want to

my only gripe was i can't book dining on the App because we've not paid in full for our cruise - yet I am able to book dining times through the web version

Well you are booked for dinner,doesn’t matter app or web version, just another choice given.

Also not all ships have the same dining room name,just incase you didn’t know. I have another thread called new dining ship to ship. I have explained all the DR and how it will potentially work after September 14, 2024.

And as far as the reservable DR,( every 20 minute time slots) you may not get the same wait staff ,you might. Not the idea behind that restaurant. Again might happen. It is meant to make a reservation at a time that suits you,might not be the same time every night,might be,but it allows flexibility. So you could book reservable for 2 nights of your cruise, book 1 speciality one night.Go to the buffet one night,they have nightly theme food. One night you might feel like dessert only at International cafe,etc. 1 night you might want a walk in restaurant because you got back late from a shore excursion and you want to relax  & have a drink before dinner or take a shower, etc. Reserve dining allows you to be flexible.

Edited by arizonaperson

4 hours ago, blackfly said:

The issue remains that the app will not allow me to make dining reservations. There are no pictures nor pencils.

Have you tried the web version? What month, year, and ship are you trying to book dinner reservations?

2 hours ago, PR-Texas said:

I think everyone on cruises in September and possibly the first night on most cruises needs to cut the crew some slack. PLEASE don't be those folks we all hate to be around who are obnoxious and create headaches for everyone.

As for restrictions of choices...it's a given that you can't please all the people all the time. Yes, some of us won't get things exactly like we want but we're on a cruise which definitely beats being stuck in a hospital bed or in an office. 

I hope the ships are ready for prime time, unlike how the App missed the June 17th  launch date of the new reservations system.  Is someone or an algorithm already working on the table assignments for the first set of diners? (Rhetorical question)  I, personally, would like Princess to reveal beforehand how those opting for Traditional Dining will find out their table assignment.  Will they release another App update so that the App will show a person’s table number?  I’d hate to find out I needed to update the App once onboard because the download takes longer than it needs to using MedallionNet.  To me the point of Traditional Dining besides the timing is efficiency.  I walk into the dining room and I know where my table is via the table number holders that are high up off the table like a center piece.  Waiters don’t usually start taking orders at shared tables until everyone is seated and that could take forever if each and every Traditional diner has to be ushered to their assigned table the first night.  

Posted (edited)

I think we have a difference in language and understanding. Irrespective of the fact the menu is the same in all the MDR’s I am still forced to use only one when I could use all three. So three down to one is a reduction in choice.

Edited by Boku

We are new to princess. First cruise is November 30th on Sun. I am thinking of paying in full early so I can make dining reservations. There are 8 of us so I’m concerned with getting dining together.

I had linked the reservations for all 4 cabins before the app changed to the new app so hoping I’m all set there. Does everyone have to be paid in full for me to make the dining reservations or will I be able to do it if I am just paid in full?  TIA 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boku said:

I think we have a difference in language and understanding. Irrespective of the fact the menu is the same in all the MDR’s I am still forced to use only one when I could use all three. So three down to one is a reduction in choice.

When you go to the buffet and find only the starboard serving area is open, do you complain that you wanted to use the port serving area? That's as much of a lack of choice as which MDR you can use.

Rather than thinking of it as three separate dining rooms, think of it as one dining room with three areas. There are lots of land restaurants with that sort of design and most don't give you a choice of what area they seat you in.

Edited by lstone19
  • Like 2

Trying to book dining on Enchanted Princess, Jan 19, 2025 from Ft Lauderdale.  We are three couples and we all get the same message on the app that we must be paid in full.  On the web version we can separately book private tables for two but cannot add guests to the booking.  

1 hour ago, Boku said:

Seeing that the menu is the same in either the buffet or DR, what difference does it make as long as you get a seat.

If you want to be seated in all the areas, come back another day & you'll get to experience them. 

13 hours ago, blackfly said:

The issue remains that the app will not allow me to make dining reservations. There are no pictures nor pencils.

I’m having the exact same issue and same as you can’t make them on the app only the web. I called princess, he reminded everyone but still nothing showing! So frustrating! 

I've given up & will wait till I'm on the ship & talk to the head waiter & Specialty restaurant manager on the first night. 

We have a cruise on Princess out of Boston the beginning of August.  Plan to find someone I can discuss this with, perhaps someone behind the future cruise desk.

3 hours ago, Boku said:

No real difference but giving some cruisers what they have wanted for a long time which is old style traditional dining. That does not pair well with reserve and walk in MDR’s.

2 hours ago, lstone19 said:

When you go to the buffet and find only the starboard serving area is open, do you complain that you wanted to use the port serving area? That's as much of a lack of choice as which MDR you can use.

Rather than thinking of it as three separate dining rooms, think of it as one dining room with three areas. There are lots of land restaurants with that sort of design and most don't give you a choice of what area they seat you in.

Just like when there were smoking and non smoking areas

23 minutes ago, blackfly said:

We have a cruise on Princess out of Boston the beginning of August.  Plan to find someone I can discuss this with, perhaps someone behind the future cruise desk.

The future cruise desk is strictly a high pressure sales team who are a 3rd party vendor

19 hours ago, Kay S said:

It removes choice for you, perhaps, but it provides more choice to thousands of passengers.  

Am I being naive or wouldn't it have been a sensible move by Princess to find our how many passengers would like fixed dining and also at which time. If it was found that say 25% of the dining room would not be taken by those wishing fixed to allow those wishing anytime to take the spare tables. Likewise those booking via the App and those walk in that if the walk in had a queue to send passengers to the restaurant booking via the App if the restaurant had spare seating.  People would have a choice of then wishing to wait at the walk in or go to one of the other restaurants. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 555 said:

Seeing that the menu is the same in either the buffet or DR, what difference does it make as long as you get a seat.

If you want to be seated in all the areas, come back another day & you'll get to experience them. 

Definitely can’t convince some that they indeed do have a choice, apparently they don’t like the choice that’s given and they’re going to complain over and over. Like a two year old having a tantrum/ meltdown.

But with that being said…..the menu is not the same in the buffet as it is in the dining room -at least that’s what I understood you saying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 555 said:

I've given up & will wait till I'm on the ship & talk to the head waiter & Specialty restaurant manager on the first night. 

What have you given up on? Making reservations? Keep trying,so many ways to try. Do you have specialty dining reservations? Is it part of your package? Do you have a travel agent? If you do they will help you. Is your cruise over 1 year away? Too early for reservations if that’s the case.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, blackfly said:

What exactly are you wanting to discuss with the future cruise desk?

Dinner reservations??  If it’s dinner reservations, wrong desk.

So your cruise is August 2024?( new dining scheme doesn’t start til 9-15-24) August 2024 dining is still under current “ rules”

Do you have any reservations for dinner? Under current system & new, you don’t have to have a reservation.

Are you able to book on the web version? Have you asked your travel agent to help you, if you have one. Have you called Princess to have them book for you.(might be a long shot??)

Are you cruising in August of 2025?

so I think I am understanding….. You have 2 cruises booked. One August 2024 and 1 in January 2025. You will talk to someone onboard in August about dinner reservations for January cruise and having them help you &  your group and linking them. Got it. Sounds perfect .

Edited by arizonaperson